So I bit the bullet and bought my first Sebenza

I think I just don't like Ti frame locks, the Sebenza just left me cold, just wasn't a fan at all.

It wasn't a fear of scratching or losing it, I just didn't like it. I forced myself to carry it daily, it was a poor EDC, too big and clumsy to open, my mini-grip is a much better edc option and the axis lock is such a pleasure to use.

I bought it fully expecting a companion for the next decade, but it didn't happen with the Sebenza.

Last edited:
Pics of the Alan Davis?

I will get some up.

Good write up. Glad to hear you like the small 21. Congrats In your purchase.
Thanks, I like it so far.

I like the simple non-inlay Seb too. I've had mine for a long time now.

Nice. I like my knives simple but capable

Just sold mine, as hard as I tried to really like this knife I just can't. I like my benchmades and spydercos' I guess. $150 is definitely my point of diminishing return for folders. The magic never happened, I never "got it". Glad I scratched the itch, but I'm going back to my benchmade griptilian and Spyderco military is in the mail.

People love the knife, but there was basically nothing I liked about the Sebenza, wasn't even that sharp out of the box.

I can totally understand that. I like this knife so far. I like it a lot. BUT... Not more than my SNG, or Davis, or even my Benchmades and Spydercos I have had over the years. I can appreciate the crazy tight tolerances, and high attention to detail, but its not a replacement for my other blades. Its more of a needed addition to my collection, and EDC rotation.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of when someone congratulates someone for "getting it". I mean you either like it (not necessarily instantly) or you don't. It sounds condescending to those who decide they don't want one or didn't like it.

There have been times where I've rotated in some of my Benchmades and Spydies and realize how fun and sometimes more stress free they are to carry and use and I love my 3, soon to be 4, CRK. There was a time several months ago when I thought to myself I could get rid of everything and carry just my Ritter mini grip for years and be happy. I love that blade. Of course I won't do that, but the variety is fun and keeps it fresh. You will love the Military by the way.

I could not agree more.

I totally agree. Hell, I am a huge Spyderco fan and do not care for the PM2.....Does nothing for me....some people act like it is heresy. People that like the Sebenza get why they like it, people that don't like it, get why they don't. There can be no logical argument that proves that the people that get it are somehow better then those that don't....which seems to be the implications.

I am glad that the OP is actually using his. Seems like most of the people that get it, have never used it.

This is exactly how I feel. No better way to say it. And most of you know that I do use my blades. Only way to tell if I like them or not.

Never could figure that one out either.

Could be the reason why some sell them though, or don't like them. :confused:

I use mine. :thumbup:

Me too.

Some call the Sebenza the Mercedes of folders.
When my Mom took me to Germany in 1981, I found out the taxi cars were Mercedes-Benz.
Use that Sebenza.
rolf
Hahaha. Very True.

Could be because it's often many people's first foray into the more expensive ($300+) realm and find it excruciating to get the slightest scratch on it and have a lot of fear of losing it which is 110% completely understandable. IMHO that mindset takes all the fun out of it, and if I feel that way I'd rather just get rid of them and don't blame others for doing so.

I will admit it took me awhile to finally sharpen one up and put it to work to see what my own thoughts were. I've been putting my large 21 to heavy use lately, and I've been pleasantly surprised so far based on things I've read and have found it to be quite comfortable doing heavy cutting when I thought nothing could beat a Spyderco at that. Sometimes we just have to separate the wheat from the chaff (how about that cliche) and find out for ourselves.

Great points.

I think I just don't like Ti frame locks, the Sebenza just left me cold, just wasn't a fan at all.

It wasn't a fear of scratching or losing it, I just didn't like it. I forced myself to carry it daily, it was a poor EDC, too big and clumsy to open, my mini-grip is a much better edc option and the axis lock is such a pleasure to use.

I bought it fully expecting a companion for the next decade, but it didn't happen with the Sebenza.

Well at least you tried it out to see if you liked it. Nothing I dislike more than when someone forms an opinion on something without ever using it. I also love the axis lock.

Some call the Sebenza the Mercedes of folders.
When my Mom took me to Germany in 1981, I found out the taxi cars were Mercedes-Benz.
Use that Sebenza.
rolf

I was in Berlin a couple years ago....It hasn't changed. And the Mercedes cabs still run manual transmissions.

Well I have been using this blade every day for almost a week straight. For doing everything I need, and I mean everything. One thing I will say is that I am definitely not afraid to use this thing, scratch it, mark the finish, ding the blade, etc.... I mean its a tool and needs to do what I need it to no matter what. That does not mean that I am going to go out and just beat the crap out of it for no good reason, it meant that I will use it and not give it any extra special care just because of how much it costs.

Its like when I buy new 330$ redwing boots for work. Some people think im crazy for spending the money and actually using them. I think that I just want good boots that work, are comfortable, and will stand up to what I put them through.

On to the knife.

Its scratched up, has "snail trails" on the slabs now, been stropped a few times, and even dropped. So far its holding up pretty decent.

One thing that I was surprised at was how fast the Anodizing on the blue thumbstud is wearing off. Please make note that I do not care. I am not going to send it in, im not going to try and fix it. I am just going to keep using it and let it do its thing. I was just surprised athow fast it started wearing.

Other than that, I still really like the size of it. But I do really find myself missing my SNG. Especially the PD1. I could literally pound that thing through a log, strop it on my jeans (or the nearest piece of cardboard), and shave the hair off my arm with it.

I also actually find that while it cuts good, it does not cut better than my other knives. I was surprised by this since it is a hollow ground blade. I was expecting it to be much like the Spyderco Gayle Bradley, which cuts like a laser. Again, dont get em wrong, I am not saying its a bad cutter, just not head and shoulders over my other knives.

I will report back later with some more findings. I am hoping to get into the woods this weekend and do a little more testing.

I miss my Seb but, as mentioned above, my SnG will hold me over.
The Strider HT is le bom.

Sweet pics mark.
My favorite steel from Strider is PD1 and CPM -154 for the tie.
Do you notice a huge difference from the SNG I sold you compared to the CPM blade you had before. I think I noticed the CPM would hold a razor edge longer. But the micro melt takes more a beating.

I dont like the blue ano that CRK knives have. I am happy that mine has the silver all around. I think you can use flitz to gently remove the blue entirely.

Matt

I finally took the seb to my sharpmaker. Used the brown and white stones on the 30 degree setting. Then finished off with my strop that's loaded with black and green bark river knives compound.

It came out great. Crazy sharp now. We shall see how long it holds up.

Sweet pics mark.
My favorite steel from Strider is PD1 and CPM -154 for the tie.
Do you notice a huge difference from the SNG I sold you compared to the CPM blade you had before. I think I noticed the CPM would hold a razor edge longer. But the micro melt takes more a beating.

I dont like the blue ano that CRK knives have. I am happy that mine has the silver all around. I think you can use flitz to gently remove the blue entirely.

Matt

Thanks buddy!

I noticed a huge difference in the two steels. The PD1 definitely takes a beating way longer with a manageable edge. It also only takes a strop on my jeans, cardboard, or newspaper to bring it back to shaving sharp.
The cpm154 took a razor edge and held it for a long time. But would not exactly come back as easy as the PD1 does.

However, I totally love both and would have a hard time picking between the two steels.

Forgot to mention that I do not really care for the blue ano parts either. I like the look but not if they are going to wear so fast. Only took 6 days to wear the tip of the thumb stud off.

Last edited:
I never thought the Sebenza was a bad knife but I never understood what the big deal about it was especially considering the price. However, after reading up on it I am very eager to give it a try. I'm pretty focused on the Small 21 with the Insingo shape.

I never thought the Sebenza was a bad knife but I never understood what the big deal about it was especially considering the price. However, after reading up on it I am very eager to give it a try. I'm pretty focused on the Small 21 with the Insingo shape.

It's definitely worth trying it out. I wanted to see what all the hype was all about. I really like this knife
, but it's not the end all be all knife for me. I have others that out perform this in every way.

The sebenza is very unique in its own way. Just like the strider. Has its own feel, and personality Rilke nothing else. Has good and bad things about it like everything else.

I have been enjoying testing it out and getting to know it a little more each day.

The small 21 has been a great size for me. Even under heavy cutting tasks so far. It's not as small as I thought it was going to me. It fits quite nice under all situations for me.

I did quite a bit of cutting with it this morning. A lot of cardboard, and some old shirts and pants that were being turned into rags. I find myself gripping the knife up close to the blade for most of the cutting I do. Like this.

The cardboard was some thicker postal boxes and pizza boxes. It slightly dulled the blade but was still a useable blade. Would not shave hair but still cut.

Had it out all morning doing all the regular stuff. Here it is right after I cut up the shirts and stuff to apply some wax to my truck.

I can say that I do not like how the edge diminishes quicker than I prefer. I am kind of anal about keeping them shaving sharp. So I touched this up again on the white stones and the strop after all the use this morning.

This thing would be crazy in PD1 or 3v.

I need to find more stuff to cut and put it to the test.

Congrats on the knife some of you guys have some big ol meat paws, lol!

It's awesome seeing how a small seb looks like a Gent's folder for you guys!

Congrats on the knife some of you guys have some big ol meat paws, lol!

It's awesome seeing how a small seb looks like a Gent's folder for you guys!

Thanks man. I definitely have some big meat hooks

I can totally understand that. I like this knife so far. I like it a lot. BUT... Not more than my SNG, or Davis, or even my Benchmades and Spydercos I have had over the years. I can appreciate the crazy tight tolerances, and high attention to detail, but its not a replacement for my other blades. Its more of a needed addition to my collection, and EDC rotation.

I guess I take back my not liking Ti framed knives because I do n really like my SNG, feels great in the hand, maybe it's the integration of the G10 that breaks up the cold Ti. Maybe I'll give a small Sebenza with micarta inlays a shot. I just can't see it kicking my Ritter mini-grip out of my pocket.

Back