So I broke a Cold Steel folder w/ CTS-XHP

I for one think Cold Steel really had no option but to replace the knife after watching some of their videos and the abuse they put their knives through. I mean what good is a strong lock if the business end can't handle the abuse?

Already turning the thread into this eh?;) Reason's why this is the OP's fault.
1. Batoning a folder in general and one that has a thin blade. Oh and one that had the serrations ground down which probably caused a weak spot in the blade(or possibly made it stick in the wood).
2. Batoning "a folder" through thick heat treated wood using a 3 pound mallet.
and 3. :mad::grumpy::confused::eek::rolleyes:
This is all on the OP and I can't believe CS replaced the knife. He should be praising CS instead of trying to say the new XHP Recon is not a worthy folder. Not CS's problem people do ubsurdly stupid things with their knives. I usually don't even respond to these types of threads or have negative stuff to say but I mean....

ilkfz8Mn5Yz7O.gif

Done here. If you think the Recon isn't a good knife that's great but this didn't prove anything besides Cold Steel treats their customers very well.

Yeah I'm more interested in that home made melon crusher. What's the story on that?

I still dont get it. Nutnfancy made a video where he broke a cold steel fixed blade. He did it by beating the spine on a rock. The rock cracked and broke into pieces before the knife but he eventually broke the blade. Weird thing is he almost said the exact same thing.

1. I realize this counts as abuse and you never baton with a folder

but I did anyway and........... I broke my knife

2. Im not saying it was the knifes fault for breaking, just that im disappointed.

And to that i say REALLY? Why are people constantly on this forum saying they know they shouldnt have done something and that it was abuse yet express surprise or disappointment when they get the exact result that should be expected? Its not rocket science. Like if you drive your car into a brick wall you are doing to damage your car. You dont call ford asking for a replacement pinto because you decided to play crash test dummies.

Impossible...Cold Steel is the only company that makes knives which can stand up to such hard use. :D
Must be Photoshopped. ;)

Impossible...Cold Steel is the only company that makes knives which can stand up to such hard use. :D
Must be Photoshopped. ;)

Well, to be fair, it took more than a light finger press to get a failure.

[video=youtube;1jffqjjm-q0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jffqjjm-q0[/video]

It sure does...and that's the most important part of the knife. :)

You know that the blade breaking is a safety feature so the lock doesnt fail and close on your fingers. You cant do that without the blade can you? CAN YOU!!!!! lol.

Last edited:
Ah YouTube, the most stringent standard of scientific proof. :D

"It couldn't be put on the internet if it wasn't true."

Wow. Batoning with a folder is cringeworthy to say the least. Can't believe CS would replace it. I have to say that's pretty good customer service.

You know that the blade breaking is a safety feature so the lock doesnt fail and close on your fingers. You cant do with without the blade can you? CAN YOU!!!!! lol.

There's so much internet gold to be mined in this thread, especially due to timing. :thumbup:

Batoning a folder reminds me of those rice-burner cars that have huge coffee-can mufflers with elaborate intake systems... Everything has it's limitations:rolleyes:

Wow. Batoning with a folder is cringeworthy to say the least. Can't believe CS would replace it. I have to say that's pretty good customer service.

Or a pretty good way of avoiding telling the company the real reason it happened. I wonder how this thread would go over in the cold steel forum.

If you still have the pieces and wouldn't mind mailing me the broken blade section I would be interested to do a RHC test on it and report back.

Ah YouTube, the most stringent standard of scientific proof. :D

"It couldn't be put on the internet if it wasn't true."

Exactly, and who is to say that the OP is actually how it went down (although it would not surprise me to see any blade of similar thickness and hardness snap under the conditions they mentioned).

At least cold steel replaced it. Emerson voids the warranty if you re profile the edge.

Exactly, and who is to say that the OP is actually how it went down (although it would not surprise me to see any blade of similar thickness and hardness snap under the conditions they mentioned).

At least cold steel replaced it. Emerson voids the warranty if you re profile the edge.

Actually, that's wrong.
You can sharpen the edge however you like.
Just don't change the primary grind.
At least that's what the official word was on it last year.

And yes, good on Cold Steel for replacing it.

Or a pretty good way of avoiding telling the company the real reason it happened. I wonder how this thread would go over in the cold steel forum.

You're probably right. I don't condone misleading the CS reps if that's the case here. (I'm not saying for sure that it is.) Making an end run around the warranty drives up prices for everyone and takes advantage of manufacturers who, for the most part, stand behind their products and go above and beyond to make sure their customers are satisfied.

Actually, that's wrong.
You can sharpen the edge however you like.
Just don't change the primary grind.
At least that's what the official word was on it last year.

And grinding the serrations off is not re-profiling the knife? What I said is 100% true. Do what he did to the blade profile, prior to batoning, and Emerson will void the warranty.

Judging by the abuse that CS puts their folders through, this knife should've been able to take the abuse that was thrown at it this time. While it was not normal use of a knife, it was still not as much as they do to it in their sales videos.

Replacing it seems logical considering the mark it'd leave on their record if they didn't back up their sales pitches.

Back