So I broke a Cold Steel folder w/ CTS-XHP

Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember that video. Did NUTNFANCY split treated lumber or a piece of kindling?

I understand your point though. According to Carpenter, XHP is like a stainless version of D2. That suggests that it should be relatively tough. The problem with "tests" like this is that they really don't prove anything because there are so many variables that you can't draw any intelligent conclusions. For instance, with a hammer that big, coming in at the wrong angle is all that it would take to snap the blade, especially if the wood is already placing lateral pressure on the steel. And then there's the removal of the serrations...

Yeah, I'll hold judgment in suspense. My XHP Recon 1 will be here in a few days, and I can't wait.

I thought D2 was only tough if it was treated to a lower hardness but got a bit brittle when hardened for use in a folder (shooting for a higher wear resistance etc.).

My idea behind all of this is: you should try to do something with something that was made for that task.
Example:
- you don't chop down a tree with a sub 4inch folder. You do it with a saw or an axe. Mmmmmaybe even a large 9"+ knife like a bk9 if that's all you have and the tree is small enough.
- and in my personal opinion you shouldn't baton with a thin folder either and instead maybe use a thicker and more robust fixed blade.

I honestly can't blame cold steel or the steel they use for the break. This was like trying to take a mustang off roading when you should have sent a jeep.

I thought D2 was only tough if it was treated to a lower hardness but got a bit brittle when hardened for use in a folder (shooting for a higher wear resistance etc.).

There's a lot of factors that play into it, but yes, D2's elasticity lessens at higher Rockwell ratings. What's the Rockwell rating of the new XHP blades?

The bottom line is that time will tell how these knives fair in the field. I don't want to draw conclusions prematurely, especially on the basis of this "test."

According to this thread, the reason it broke was that it was a folder and the steel should have been very brittle. :)

Batoning a folder reminds me of those rice-burner cars that have huge coffee-can mufflers with elaborate intake systems... Everything has it's limitations:rolleyes:

Last time I heard the term "rice burner cars" folders didnt have thumbstuds yet. LOL

I wonder what conclusions the "johnny come lately's", who are now such big fans since CS moved to more expensive steel, make of this episode? Perhaps CTS-XHP holds an edge longer than Aus-8 but I doubt if Aus-8 would have snapped any sooner than the expensive steel in response to the described abuse.

I wonder what conclusions the "johnny come lately's", who are now such big fans since CS moved to more expensive steel, make of this episode? Perhaps CTS-XHP holds an edge longer than Aus-8 but I doubt if Aus-8 would have snapped any sooner than the expensive steel in response to the described abuse.

In fact I don't think so... Cs xhp looks to me a bit more fragile than aus8. I had several aus8 blades from cs and they really held all sorts of stupid things I did with them, but my new mini recon 1 in xhp snapped after 1 week of regular use ( I must admit that i do camping and bushcraft on a regular basis :p). Seems to me that they still are great knife, but with xhp, we should treat them like any other knife... With a bit of respect ;)

Yeah, but if Cold Steel breaks a knife, it's no biggie, they have plenty more. I'm not sure I would have tried this without knowing it'd be covered, and the fact that they did speaks highly of the company. $70 is, after all, $70, and they could have easily declined replacement, considering the circumstances.
Cold steel makes there serrated blades
Harder than strate edge

In fact I don't think so... Cs xhp looks to me a bit more fragile than aus8. I had several aus8 blades from cs and they really held all sorts of stupid things I did with them, but my new mini recon 1 in xhp snapped after 1 week of regular use ( I must admit that i do camping and bushcraft on a regular basis :p). Seems to me that they still are great knife, but with xhp, we should treat them like any other knife... With a bit of respect ;)
Use bd1 blades, your troubles are over

Or maybe know your tool's limitations and uses. Of course what is the fun in that. :D

Back