So I had an Amalgam and an extra Pivot ....

ferider

Gold Member
I don't mind flippers. And I like almost everything about the Amalgam, size, blade shape, peeled CF. But: I couldn't get my fingers out of the way of the flipper when using the compression lock. So:

tn__DSC7867-X2.jpg

tn__DSC7869-X2.jpg

tn__DSC7870-X2.jpg

Broke a drill when going through the lock side of the scales and liner. Other than that not a difficult mod. And, the blade is about half a mm distant from the new pin, in case you wonder.

Another perfect knife now :)

Cheers,

Roland.

Last edited:
Sorry, i thought it was obvious: it modifies the compression lock so i can close the knife by pushing a button on the rhs of the knife. So my fingers are out of the way of the flipper. You find an identical mechanism in the Smock (where i got the idea). The pivot/standoff is screwed to the lock part of the left hand liner. It moves freely through a hole on the rhs scale/liner. I had to drill a hole in the lhs scale to make room for the screw the pivot/standoff is attached with to the lock.

Check Nick’s disassembly video of the Smock and you see what i did.

When the amalgam closes, the flipper invariably hits your finger when you operate the compression lock normally, and the knife is still half open. If you google youll find that some find this annoying enough to grind the flipper of. I like this solution better.

Last edited:
Thanks, sounds really neat! You should add a video if you're able.
Sorry, i thought it was obvious: it modifies the compression lock so i can close the knife by pushing a button on the rhs of the knife. So my fingers are out of the way of the flipper. You find an identical mechanism in the Smock (where i got the idea). The pivot/standoff is screwed to the lock part of the left hand liner. It moves freely through a hole on the rhs scale/liner. I had to drill a hole in the lhs scale to make room for the screw the pivot/standoff is attached with to the lock.

Check Nick’s disassembly video of the Smock and you see what i did.

When the amalgam closes, the flipper invariably hits your finger when you operate the compression lock normally, and the knife is still half open. If you google youll find that some find this annoying enough to grind the flipper of. I like this solution better.

That's... pretty damn smart. I wouldn't be a fan of having the release button on the "wrong" side of the knife, but this mod would work wonders with a left-handed PM2...

I don't mind flippers. And I like almost everything about the Amalgam, size, blade shape, peeled CF. But: I couldn't get my fingers out of the way of the flipper when using the compression lock. So:

tn__DSC7867-X2.jpg

tn__DSC7869-X2.jpg

tn__DSC7870-X2.jpg

Broke a drill when going through the lock side of the scales and liner. Other than that not a difficult mod. And, the blade is about half a mm distant from the new pin, in case you wonder.

Another perfect knife now :)

Cheers,

Roland.

This is awesome. My buddy just deleted the flipper.

It seems like it could be accidentally released. Regardless if it works for you, great!

Always a risk with such releases.

I was considering moving the clip to be tip down - that would protect the button somewhat.

However, with normal holding, the button comes to lay in one of the folds of my hand and - maybe you can see in the video - the button is pretty strong as it's so far down the lock (the further down, the more force is needed).

So it should be OK, but time will tell. You might see a scar on my index finger in the video - that's when a knife accidentally closed on me when I was a boy .... so I definitely will be careful :)

Nice job ferider! I love seeing people mod their knives to make them their own. I was anticipating deep carry clips and flipper deletes and maybe modified scales (I thought some people might dislike the CF laminate enough to sand the top layer off to make it pure G10 like I've seen happen on some other models). But this mod totally surprised me and made my day, definitely a mod I had not anticipated at all. It's really cool to see some creative out of the box thinking and your implementation of the button actuated compression lock from the Smock on the Amalgam. ...Would that make it a Smockmalgam? :p

I don't have the problem of my finger being in the way when I close mine one handed. I've did it hundreds of times and it seems easy enough.

Nice job ferider! I love seeing people mod their knives to make them their own. I was anticipating deep carry clips and flipper deletes and maybe modified scales (I thought some people might dislike the CF laminate enough to sand the top layer off to make it pure G10 like I've seen happen on some other models). But this mod totally surprised me and made my day, definitely a mod I had not anticipated at all. It's really cool to see some creative out of the box thinking and your implementation of the button actuated compression lock from the Smock on the Amalgam. ...Would that make it a Smockmalgam? :p

Thanks ! BTW, super job on the design of the knife, and the blade in particular. Very slicey, I love the choil and double stop pin for serious cutting, and - I need this more than you think - the blade shape makes doing the occasional sandwich easy. And the combo of flipper and Spydiehole makes it an easy left hand knife, and easily usable with gloves, or the occasional bandaid on my index finger :)

Here are two photos that I took this morning to show where the button sits in a right-handed sabre grip.

tn__DSC7872-X2.jpg

tn__DSC7875-X2.jpg

You can also see how the flipper offers additional protection against accidental closure.

Of course, everybody's hands are different and time/usage will tell better ...

Cheers,

Roland.

I like the idea but as others have said already, I would be concerned about gorilla gripping the knife and disengaging the lock. Not for me!

Back