So I wander back in....

Well what in the world has been going on? I've just been so busy the last year it ain't funny (trying to get a small business going will do that!) basically buying storage units an other stuff and auction is a viable way to make a living just a lot of work,planning,money,and praying-fun in a masochistic way

Beyond that just cruising along and enjoying my life,decided I needed to get my hind end back in here for a visit.

Oh and I designed a sword and I wanted to show off,had Scorpion Swords make it,posted it in the sword forum but for the HI guys:

Now I need to go catch up on stuff.....

WHoooA! Now theres a beautiful chunk of steel! Looks to be about 20"? What does it weigh? Welcome back and nicely done.

Nice looking sword. I've no idea how ndoghouse guessed at the length with nothing for reference but just for the challenge I'm gonna say it's a tad longer than his 20".
Definitely has a point on that puppy for sure.

16 inch blade and about a six inch handle comes out to about 22 inches long,I based it off the Lakonian sword of the Spartans,it's basically a modernized version:

Wow, I guess my tad wasn't much of a tad and ndoghouse as a pretty darn good eye for length on stuff. From this day forward when he speaks I'm gonna listen.

I'm so accustomed to overall length here at HI that that's all I think about anymore. I've grown fond of doing it that way.

That's a beautiful blade, don't care how long it is.

The one thing I find interesting is the guy didn't put any markings on it,and I mean none unless it's up under the grips.

*ETA*

I need to weigh it,I'd say it's about two and a half pounds,kinda a heavy little bugger.

That's a beautiful short-sword. What is the handle material? It looks like ebony, but more likely a synthetic material.

Wow! That is weird, no markings. With riveted handle if there are marks underneath no one will most likely ever see it.

If I was able to make something that pretty I'd sure want to autograph it myself.

Looks a bit like Bilbo's Sting.

I recently picked up something similar from Waziristan. Mine is a bit thinnner and has the forward curving guards I favor. This type of double edged curved blade has very interesting fencing applications, but it is definitely not a utility knife.

2013-07 Waziriatan.jpg

Last edited:
And he uses gorilla glue along with the rivets,I doubt he marked the blade at all.

Kinda neat I have a "sanitized" sword.

Nice looking sword. I've no idea how ndoghouse guessed at the length with nothing for reference but just for the challenge I'm gonna say it's a tad longer than his 20".
Definitely has a point on that puppy for sure.
I cheated Bawanna! There is a well camo'd 8"x8" cinder block under it. If a Redneck knows nothing at all he knows how big a cinder block is!:D

Well I'll be dipped in caramel, I went back and looked and looked and danged if I didn't finally see that cinder block. Yup you cheated some but you got a darn good eye. Your still up on the pedestal and when you speak I'm gonna carve it in a stone tablet or maybe at least a cinder block.

Another way to estimate overall length is to use the handle as reference.

It's clearly a one-hand grip. The handle plus guard is probably around 6", give or take. The blade looks to be a little over twice the length of the handle. I would have guessed the same as ndoghouse: about 18" + 2" = 20". Of course this kind of estimation is a lot easier after you know the answer. :)

This is a really nice design. Part of the beauty is in its simplicity.

Looks a bit like Bilbo's Sting.

I recently picked up something similar from Waziristan. Mine is a bit thinner and has the forward curving guards I favor. This type of double edged curved blade has very interesting fencing applications, but it is definitely not a utility knife.

View attachment 368788
Working with Damascus has always fascinated me. I am amazed at how they get the patterns all ligned up with the features of the knife and such. That has got to be fun to do! I joined this forum about three years ago solely to learn something about how they did this process and it still amazes me. I always wanted a Khukri of Damascus and there are some but none with the right features. I did find HI during my exploration and realized how beautiful 5160 can be when hand forged and polished. Well it was all over then! That is a beautiful piece Howard. I kinda see some semblance to the Liberty Dirk there.

Damascus and stag are the way to this half man's heart. The antler? handle on that thing near brings me to tears.
I too have been fascinated by damascus and the process, would love to see it happen sometime.

There are mysteries to steel. Modern metalurgy gives us material unheard of in ancient times, like old Mercedes springs. Nonetheless, handforged damascus still has a charm, even if it is no longer a shoe-in for the best steel in the world.

And yes, this is of the same family as the L2. There are others, dirks and bowies and exotics from the far corners of the earth.

Back