So in NY almost ANY folder can be illegal

synthesist

So many knives so little time

BitingSarcasm

Basic Member
Yep. Horror stories about NY laws and how they are "enforced" bounce around in here quite a bit for a reason. They beggar the imagination, how a LEO can spot a "switchblade" clipped in a suspect's pocket, shoot the man in the back when he runs for his life, and stay on the job without more than a few harsh words.

Yes, eveything is illegal in NYC. Wouldnt it be cool if we had a law or constitution that reconized our inalienable rights? Nah, it will never catch on.

We have a similar law here in Canada to New York.

If a knife can be inertial opened then it isna "gravity" knife and thus illegal. Unfortunately virtually any modern folder can be inertial opened by holding the knife pivot facing down then making a quick semicircular jerk down with your wrist.

So yeah, we're all outlaws for carrying almost any folding knives.

With the support in the legislature, I simply don't understand the governor. It is about doing something reasonable and not having 70,000 people prosecuted in NYC for having a "gravity" knife on them in the city.

Don't you see. They try and justify it by saying "with such a penalty to carry, only a criminal terrorist would risk carrying"

But what really happens is it just turns a bunch of honest citizens into criminals who's only crime is carrying.

Don't try to understand New York. Just... don't. And while you're at it, don't rack your brain about any wrong-headed, Utopian-bent, unicorn-seeking, self-feeding government.

The_Iron_Joe

Knifemaker, Jeweller
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
You're preaching to the choir. Even a libtard globalist cuck like me agrees that NY knife laws are draconian as f¿©§

Just taking a moment to appreciate this comment. As a Canadian I have to agree; those in NYC have it pretty rough as far as what they're allowed to carry.

Wow, are you kidding me. Can't they override his veto?

Considering the damage it does to a persons life and the fact that most people believe they want and are on the side of justice; I am shocked at how society allows people to be incarcerated and charged for such silly offenses.

If anyone really cares about justice they shouldn't let this stand. People going to jail for $10 worth of weed or a "gravity" knife is completely unjust. Consider how a criminal record will affect someone's life.

I'm sorry but a justice system that allows laws like that, makes more money the more inmates it has, and tries to act legitimate and justified in its abuses has 0 respect from me.

Worse yet is the population that allows this to go on to their fellow citizens. They think "oh its not happening to me so they probably did something to deserve it." The fact they will in their mind turn a person into a criminal worthy of any mistreatment based on that person getting caught with a nickle bag of weed.

Peope who did not support the bill told themselves "I am making things safer, now these hooligans will think twice about carrying!" They do not realize what they are actually supporting is the unfair and downright wrongful jailing and charging of tons of their fellow man.

That is how knife rights should focus their next campaign. They need to get the message out to over zealous moms that the law they are backing isn't most dangerous to the criminal, but to their own son who's pivot became loose while he was walking home.

lieferung

Basic Member
Googled it, I take it 2/3 of the NY State Senate is not on board for fair knife laws?

"Cuomo said the NYPD had also agreed to train its police officers to uniformly identify when someone is carrying a gravity knife for work purposes in order "to ensure intent on making an honest day's living no longer face arrest."

Ha. Yes, just leave it up to the whims of the police to decide if you're legally carrying or not.

SpySmasher

Lead Guitar
Basic Member
Did you really think Cuohomo was gonna approve it?
Edit: Look at what he did to us with that bullshit safe act..........
I'm naive. I thought he would as this bill was in direct response to his specific criticisms, had such strong bilateral support, and was being viewed as a civil rights issue.

Please keep the political commentary to yourselves, if it continues we'll close the discussion. I don't think anyone cares to hear any attempts to crack funny witty political silliness.

SpySmasher

Lead Guitar
Basic Member
KnifeRights has been taking a two-pronged approach in NY. The gravity knife law is in the courts, too. Maybe there's some hope there. I don't know.