So, I've made a Throwing Knife that flies straight like in an anime... Now, what to do with it?

Hello Everyone,

I suppose that an explanation is in order. Well, after watching a few anime episodes, specifically Naruto, I grew enamored by the concept of a knife blade that merely flew straight at its target. One that didn't tumble through the air. It was something that I wanted, yet it seemed that no knife supplier had anything capable of such a thing.

So, instead of giving up on the idea, I decided to see if I could design one. After a few attempts and prototypes, I finally had a design that works. This blade does not tumble through the air, nor does it follow the "No Spin" method demonstrated by Adam Celadin. The blade flies horizontally, and the tip doesn't stray from the target. As of this moment, I have a fully functional and tested prototype.

Now... I have no idea as to what to do with the new type of Kunai. Personally, I would love for everyone to have the opportunity to own one. So, I was considering a few things I could do to fulfill this ideal. Which do you guys think I should do?
  1. Sell the Knife design to a throwing knife manufacturer.
  2. Start a crowdfunding campaign to manufacture the blades myself?
  3. Other - Post your Idea.

P.S. If you know of a manufacturer that I should partner with, please let me know in the comments below.

Hello Everyone,

I suppose that an explanation is in order. Well, after watching a few anime episodes, specifically Naruto, I grew enamored by the concept of a knife blade that merely flew straight at its target. One that didn't tumble through the air. It was something that I wanted, yet it seemed that no knife supplier had anything capable of such a thing.

So, instead of giving up on the idea, I decided to see if I could design one. After a few attempts and prototypes, I finally had a design that works. This blade does not tumble through the air, nor does it follow the "No Spin" method demonstrated by Adam Celadin. The blade flies horizontally, and the tip doesn't stray from the target. As of this moment, I have a fully functional and tested prototype.

Now... I have no idea as to what to do with the new type of Kunai. Personally, I would love for everyone to have the opportunity to own one. So, I was considering a few things I could do to fulfill this ideal. Which do you guys think I should do?

P.S. If you know of a manufacturer that I should partner with, please let me know in the comments below.
Demonstrate its use and you will have people lining up to buy it.

So you've invented the throwing dart?:confused:

Hello Everyone,

You should start by posting pictures of your design and demonstrating in videos that it works as intended. Honestly as another poster mentioned, I don't see what this does that an already-existing throwing dart does not. Unless there's some big design differentiation that makes your knife better than the existing throwing darts.

Knife manufacturers are not exactly lining up to take submissions from random people who are not experienced knife makers, and even there, most experienced knife makers don't have manufacturers pick up their designs, and of those who do, many of them don't sell particularly well.

You might see if Bobby Branton would take a look at your design. If he was interested, he could point you in the right direction.

Sounds cool but difficult/expensive to protect the design, if you're planning to build a brand maybe save it for down the line.

First of all - I don't belive such design will work. :D
It is not possible according to laws of physics - you would need huge air drag in the handle to keep knife straight.

But to the merit.
Your plan is difficult to succeed.

1. Selling to bigger company. Most companies have enough designs - their problem and costs is marketing and selling them. Even if you would like to give it for free, without a "name behind the design" nobaty probably wouldn't be interested.
2. Crowdfunding - yes. If you know how you crowdfund stuff.

You must remember that most anime (or wider - popculture) fans are interested in franchise market items, not items that look similar. It means that a shitty china throwing knife with licenced naturo name on it will sell 10000 times better than good, but no-name Kunai.

3. Have somebody do it for you.

Throwing knives are not hard to do. If your design is not too complicated, you can order a batch of 100 or even 1000 from a knifemaker or CNC-knife manufacturing company. There are plenty.
And then you take your knives and sell them directly over the net. If you make them in the thousands - amazon can process packaging and shipment for you.
You shouldn't think about putting them to stores. Stores take about 50% of the total price, which requires you to plan manufacturing, pricing and marketing according.

It is not possible according to laws of physics - you would need huge air drag in the handle to keep knife straight.

But to the merit.

1. Selling to bigger company. Most companies have enough designs - their problem and costs is marketing and selling them. Even if you would like to give it for free, without a "name behind the design" nobaty probably wouldn't be interested.

You must remember that most anime (or wider - popculture) fans are interested in franchise market items, not items that look similar. It means that a shitty china throwing knife with licenced naturo name on it will sell 10000 times better than good, but no-name Kunai.

Throwing knives are not hard to do. If your design is not too complicated, you can order a batch of 100 or even 1000 from a knifemaker or CNC-knife manufacturing company. There are plenty.
And then you take your knives and sell them directly over the net. If you make them in the thousands - amazon can process packaging and shipment for you.
You shouldn't think about putting them to stores. Stores take about 50% of the total price, which requires you to plan manufacturing, pricing and marketing according.

Well there is that gyro knife and gyro dart that causes its own drag and stays true but it’s not kunai shaped, I totally agree with your points 2 and 3

I would recommend you to go for 2nd option (Start a crowdfunding campaign to manufacture the blades myself?)

Second hand or expert endorsements are very powerful Having a known maker do a Demo Video
Word to the wise is initially don't show it in profile just in action

What Idaho said in #11 times two. Pay particular attention to what he said in bullet point 1.
Doesn't matter what you do in terms of design and construction. Marketing is the key. In today's world, crap with good marketing sells every day while quality products fade into oblivion. There are exceptions of course like Dave Ferry and Horsewright knives and a few others but a quick cruise around Amazon will turn up all sorts of crap. I've been producing quality products for over 40 years. Always focused on quality and production. If I had focused half my attention on marketing i'd be rich instead of broke now.

What Idaho said in #11 times two. Pay particular attention to what he said in bullet point 1.
Doesn't matter what you do in terms of design and construction. Marketing is the key. In today's world, crap with good marketing sells every day while quality products fade into oblivion. There are exceptions of course like Dave Ferry and Horsewright knives and a few others but a quick cruise around Amazon will turn up all sorts of crap. I've been producing quality products for over 40 years. Always focused on quality and production. If I had focused half my attention on marketing i'd be rich instead of broke now.
Haha I checked your profile. I was guessing you are young. Bless your heart we were all there once. I'd crowd fund and build some yourself. (I'd build more than just one item). You will likely lose your shirt but we were all there once. Suck it up and try again.

But to the merit.

usa today protonmail
I totally agree with you

Last edited:
Back