So long, and thanks for all the pics

About seven years ago I built my own website using Yahoo Small Business - they have very user friendly templates to choose from. It costs me $132/year to maintain it and I can easily update it to include currently available knives. All my COOP photos are on it plus photos of "one-of-a-kinds".

I guess the old adage "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch" is still true :(

Yea, I guess I just forget really how many pictures are in your and Nick's WIP!

I will definitely do some research on the best way to get everything saved to my laptop.

I really do appreciate the heads up, Lorien, as I still source that WIP fairly often, especially recently since I am just now finally getting around to fitting up my first guard.

Maybe some of us could figure out a way to split up the work over time to get the pictures back up to it. I'm sure many would be willing to help (myself included) since it's been such a huge help to us over the years.

~Paul
My YT Channel
Lsubslimed

... (It's been a few years since my last upload)

I've always paid for a yearly membership with photobucket, and it was a situation of me getting what I paid for, which was the ability to embed photos in this very forum, for a fair yearly rate. More than quadrupling the yearly rate is a big move for the company and reminds me of Turing's decision regarding the price increase of Daraprim.

Imgur allows me to embed photos with their free service, so that's what I'll keep using. When I first started using photobucket that service was free, and gradually they introduced a yearly rate which seemed commensurate with the service.

Net neutrality is a larger, and slightly separate issue that I think every American who uses the internet for anything should at least look into

Lorien: I checked the Photobucket website and the lesser $$ options appear NOT to include third party hosting. Amazingly arrogant for them to pull the rug out from YOU: who even paid them.

With this in mind I just sent a "What's up?" note to the principals of Fototime for my own education and reassurances. What's the long-term prognosis? (Like they would tell me, but hey, who knows.)

Funny how other online storage solutions have gotten amazingly inexpensive, yet this particular problem has gone the other direction.

I guess it won’t show unless clicked on which is not good for me
BhGC8

I have paid for the extra Photobucket storage for quite a few years. Something like $30 a year. Nothing really.
It looks like if you were a paying "plus" member, you will have third party hosting until Dec 30th 2018.

I am certainly not going to pay their crazy price for hosting. So I am sure all of my previous content will be gone as well.
I will probably start doing more videos through you tube.

Like the rest of the world, I wouldn't pay price hike...

As of now, no one has lost their photos at PB, just the ability to embed them in forum posts.
The photos are still there for viewing directly.
One can still download entire albums at a time.
It's not at all that time consuming or difficult.

IDK what's happening after 1 January... frankly I don't care what they do.
I've got my photos backed up and all my links are dead anyway.
They can delete my account for all I care.
I now use Image event, it's old school and a little clunky, but cheap and have lots of space to fill. And I can keep my albums private if I want.

I hit share than copy link than

BhGC8

After you copy the link, it should be the same as any other image link. Click the photo icon here, and paste the link in the image URL popup.

Yep, me too. All my photo links are dead. I downloaded every photo I had on PB and deleted everything of mine off their service. Good riddance. It would be nice if this site had a way to download entire threads as PDFs.

theres hotlink fixes for both mozilla and chrome...they both are working last i checked

Oh crap! I never make it to the last page of that thread, at least not in a long time since the first time I read through it, so I completely forgot about that discussion near the end.

I should have asked you first, Lorien, if it was OK with you for me to start this thread over in Shop Talk:

Wheeler's Steel WIP - Save it while you can!

I guess I just assumed that it was alright since you suggested I take screen shots of the WIP in order to save it.

Let me know and I'll delete the post and change the title if you want. I didn't mean to over step.

~Paul
My YT Channel Lsubslimed

Lots of threads without pics now.

The fact that threads like John White's wip threads are without pics hits hard for me. Those, along with others, were great reference material...just think, newer guys no longer have those resources. Even doing google searches, under images you get that annoying message from pb.

It's a real shame the amount of material that's just gone...esp John's stuff.

Tad

Oh crap! I never make it to the last page of that thread, at least not in a long time since the first time I read through it, so I completely forgot about that discussion near the end.

I should have asked you first, Lorien, if it was OK with you for me to start this thread over in Shop Talk:

Wheeler's Steel WIP - Save it while you can!

I guess I just assumed that it was alright since you suggested I take screen shots of the WIP in order to save it.

Let me know and I'll delete the post and change the title if you want. I didn't mean to over step.

~Paul
My YT Channel Lsubslimed

the spirit that compels me, (I can't speak for Nick, here, so keep that in mind) to put that stuff out there to be freely disseminated is the same spirit that fiercely rejects any attempts to profit directly from it.

some wanted to publish the thread in a fashion involving capital. Nick and I discussed it at the time, and we are on the same page. Nick is a library. He seems to greatly value being a public resource, and I love him for it.

Wheeler's Steel is a public resource, and as such, I strongly encourage anyone who might feel as though they can benefit from Nick's knowledge, and all the other great stuff in that thread, to save the content of the thread for their own reference and to share with others freely.

Back