• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

So much for plans.....

john sage

Gold Member
I had this big plan.... I am not much of an internet guy, really, and I think the world was a much better place before the net, over all.

However, there are a few things that make the internet a wonderful thing, and Bladeforums is one of them. This is the first forum I ever joined. Earlier in the year, I was planning the make a post about how I'd been on this forum for 20 years and all the great people I'd met, friends made, etc. I wasn't going to make a huge deal out of it, but I wanted to commemorate the occasion. July 16th marked my 20th year here on Bladeforums! However, when the day arrived, my mind was on other things.

On July 9th, my house burned. No injuries to my wife, dog, horses or me. The house, however, is toast. Actual toast.... We ended up losing about 90% of our belongings, including most of our art collection's best pieces. But, all my knives, watches and guns survived! We found a house on a large ranch to rent while ours is being rebuilt, but our horses had to go back to the rescue we got them from as the cattle on this ranch had too many flies and it was driving our horses bonkers. After one contracted Pigeon fever from a fly bite, we had to get them to a better place. We are financially sound, and were very well insured so money is not an issue, thank God and hard work! But a couple of things I wanted to share with everyone:

1. Make sure you have enough Contents coverage on your home owner's or renter's insurance. That money goes fast. Like "lightning" fast. Granted I had some good art in our master bedroom, but when I listed the contents of the master I hit over 65K, and we still had the rest of the house to go through. About 25K was art, so you do the math.... And make sure you have the right contents coverage. We had well over 200K in contents coverage, but only $2500.00 in jewelry coverage. Well, most of my watches cost more than that so if I had lost my watches, I'd have been screwed out of all that money. In the end it is all just stuff, but we have worked hard our whole lives to build up what we had and I will be dammed if I am just going to kiss it goodbye.

2. Make sure you clearly understand how the insurance company pays out. From what I understand, most policies work like ours, which is you get paid a depreciated "actual cash value" for everything that was covered, then, when and only if you replace it and show a receipt, you get the rest of the money necessary to cover replacement costs. The insurance company is counting on you not having the time, willingness or energy to actually go out and do all this work to get paid. It is a lot of work.

3. And this one is only for the country folk or those on propane, make sure all unused propane values are not only turned off, but properly capped. The cause of our fire was an uncapped propane valve in our laundry room.

Here's what caused it: We moved out to the country, outside Paso Robles Ca about 2 years ago. We bought a 2 acre ranchette atop a hill overlooking vineyards and orchards, hills and mountains in the distance. We had a propane dryer and after we put solar on the house, we switched to electric as we put a giant array atop the house and electricity was now free. We had a local "big box" home improvement store who sold us the new dryer install it. When they did the work, they did not cap the propane valve. In the early morning hours of July 9th, about 2:00 am, our dog Abby, who was sleeping with us, decided it would be a great idea to break through our screen door, and kill the skunk walking by on the back porch. Well, the whole house was permeated with skunk. It was all we could smell. During a wash cycle to clean our bedding, as Abby has jumped back on the bed after getting skunked and tearing the skunk into pieces, the washer got off balance, and while it was bouncing around, it knocked into the propane valve and opened it up. My wife put the laundry into the dryer, unable to smell the propane due to the skunk smell, and when she turned it on, she left the laundry room, shut the door and took a few steps. The elements in the dryer took a few seconds to turn on and when they did, our laundry room exploded. The force of the blast ballooned out our garage door, blew doors off hinges and started a propane fed fire that torched our home. My wife thought our neighborhood was being bombed. When she heard a second blast she saw flames shooting out of the laundry room, she got Abby and got out. I was at the store when the fire happened, buying baking soda and deodorizing products....

4. Beware predatory companies. I am not sure how they find out, but all kinds of places will call you out of the blue, offering services for all kinds of stuff. THEY ARE ALL TRYING TO RIP YOU OFF. Even companies recommended by your insurance company are going to try to rip you off. For example; Our insurance adjuster recommended a company that cleans all your clothes after a fire. We were told they would come and take away our clothes and bring them back fresh and clean, all wrapped up and good as new. B. S. The company sent a young man who literally went into our house and grabbed anything and everything he could. Old rugs, dog toys, a TV, our printer, art work, and all our clothes. They took everything they could get their hands on. Then they charge you an astronomical fee to evaluate, inventory and restore what can be restored. Our bill was over 14K. Then, they will store all your stuff for another astronomical fee. We got our stuff back ASAP as we had a place to put it all, but if you are staying with friends or the Red Cross, you're SOL and the storage fees will be in the thousands. When all was said and done, we got a few shirts and coats back, but everything else was a total loss. This all comes out of your contents coverage. So make sure you have enough! And check out any company who shows up before you agree to or sign anything. Get written estimates. It is very hard to do all this when you're standing in the smoking ruin of your home, and that is exactly what they are counting on.

5. Dig in for the long haul. I read a statistic that said 90% of fire claims go to court. 90%! Clearly there is a huge problem in the insurance industry if that is in fact true. Statistics notwithstanding, though, it is going to take a long time to make things right, if they ever get back to "right" in the first place. At least a year, best case scenario. It took us a couple of months just to find a good contractor who'd take the job, and only through him could we get a good architect. Then the county permitting process, which is expected to take months, can only being once they have plans, which take a couple of months. And this goes on and on. If my house is completed in a year, I will be amazed.

So, a few things to consider, if you've made it this far in the post. I am grateful most of all that my wife walked away without a scratch, as did Abby, Winston and Cooper (horses). But, the recovery is a metric sh*t ton of work and we got away lucky compared to what a lot of people have to deal with. We only lost 90% of our belongings and had good coverage, some folks lose everything and have none. So do your due diligence, don't screw yourself by skimping on coverage. Check your home for safety, it only takes a short amount of time and really only needs to be done once, or once in a while. If you know of other safety pitfalls, please share them.

Hopefully, when I post for my 40th anniversary, I'll have a happier story to tell!

Be Safe!

Last edited:
Glad you and family got out. Hope everything gets back to normal for you soon.
And thanks for the heads-up!

Its pretty much certain that this will end up in court one way or another. If the insurance company thinks that the fire was caused by negligence on the part of the installer, they will attempt to recover losses from them. You should also retain counsel and explore the feasibility of a lawsuit.

So sorry for your loss.
We've been down this road except it was wildfire and we were a total loss. Books could and should be written about this type of loss and the aftermath. There's so much that happens on the road to recovery that folks are unaware of.
Glad you all are OK.
Good luck with the insurance co. So many horror stories concerning insurance companies. They will do anything they can to avoid paying out. It is truly another job dealing with the insurance aspect of this type of loss. We had a relatively good experience with our insurance company. Our experience is the exception and not the rule.
We are seven years out from our fire. It will get better.
If I had any advise to give it would be this... think about where you want to be in the future, and use your insurance to get there. The fire has made everything else the past.
Good luck.

Sorry To Hear That Sad Bunny GIF - Sorry To Hear That Sorry Sad Bunny GIFs

wishing-you-all-the-best-in-your-future-endeavors

I wish good fortune for your family, and hope you find some kind of normalcy soon.

And thank you for sharing all this good information.

So, it has been just over three years since the fire. Wow, time flies.

The house is rebuilt and we moved home January 2023. It took a little over 18 months to rebuild the house. Our “contents” claim finished out in July ‘23. You get two years. Sounds like a long time.

It is not.

This morning I realized my boot polishing gear is gone. Not expensive by any stretch of the imagination. But, it was lost in the fire. I remember exactly where I used to keep it. That part of the house turned to ash. I had that stuff since I was on active duty LAST CENTURY. $30.00 to replace the polish and brushes. No amount of money could replace the memories attached. I polished my boots in boot camp with that gear.

Overall on contents we lost well over 20k. Not including the future value of my art collection. That collection was the majority of my retirement plan. Before you say anything, fine art is one of the three best long term investments.

We came out of pocket just over 25k to finish rebuilding the house. While we made a few changes, we did not make a bunch of upgrades. The genuine acacia hardwood floor is now engineered vinyl. The granite countertops are now quartz. Thanks to inflation and the global supply chain issues for the cost overages. The day of the fire, 4x8 sheets of particle board to cover the broken windows were $75.00 each. Extrapolate that out over a near complete rebuild.

All that said, we were very glad to get home after 18 months in a rental. However, this does not feel like home anymore. Same address, totally different house. This is not the place we bought.

While we were gone, all of our landscaping died. No power or water for 18 months, everything died and the earth started taking it all back. The best estimate we received to put it all back to the way it was came in at 58k. We have two acres so it is a bit more than a front lawn. The insurance policy had a nice little loop hole capping landscaping coverage at 3% of the rebuild cost. BOHICA. We had a lush back yard with a waterfall, now we have flat, bare DG.

The front yard before was beautifully done with a lawn and flowers, etc. now I have the best kept weed patch on the street.

All in all, I think we are out about a hundred grand, not including the loss of investment in my art. But, no physical injuries from the fire. Definitely some deep mental scars. One of our horses died from the pigeon fever I mentioned above. Winston. He was a good kid and didn’t deserve that. We still have Cooper, our other horse and we came home with another doggie, Lou. Abby has a friend in the house now.

Glad to be alive! Getting ready to finally split California.

Hug your families. Kiss your doggies and tell your friends they are important to you. You never know when it could all go up in flames.

Still here buying and trading knives. Fire can’t destroy everything!

I joined Bladeforums July 16, 2001. Today I have been here exactly 23 years. Tomorrow is the first day of my 24th year on Bladeforums!

Last edited:
Congrats on the anniversary, and thanks for sharing your story. My brother went through a similar situation and the reality of no loss of life (sorry about Winston) helps a lot. He had 2 sons in the house when his fire started, and no one was hurt. Things are just things, but it can still get you angry to count up the costs. Hope the next 24 bring many blessings.

Last edited:
So, it has been just over three years since the fire. Wow, time flies.

The house is rebuilt and we moved home January 2023. It took a little over 18 months to rebuild the house. Our “contents” claim finished out in July ‘23. You get two years. Sounds like a long time.

It is not.

This morning I realized my boot polishing gear is gone. Not expensive by any stretch of the imagination. But, it was lost in the fire. I remember exactly where I used to keep it. That part of the house turned to ash. I had that stuff since I was on active duty LAST CENTURY. $30.00 to replace the polish and brushes. No amount of money could replace the memories attached. I polished my boots in boot camp with that gear.

Overall on contents we lost well over 20k. Not including the future value of my art collection. That collection was the majority of my retirement plan. Before you say anything, fine art is one of the three best long term investments.

We came out of pocket just over 25k to finish rebuilding the house. While we made a few changes, we did not make a bunch of upgrades. The genuine acacia hardwood floor is now engineered vinyl. The granite countertops are now quartz. Thanks to inflation and the global supply chain issues for the cost overages. The day of the fire, 4x8 sheets of particle board to cover the broken windows were $75.00 each. Extrapolate that out over a near complete rebuild.

All that said, we were very glad to get home after 18 months in a rental. However, this does not feel like home anymore. Same address, totally different house. This is not the place we bought.

While we were gone, all of our landscaping died. No power or water for 18 months, everything died and the earth started taking it all back. The best estimate we received to put it all back to the way it was came in at 58k. We have two acres so it is a bit more than a front lawn. The insurance policy had a nice little loop hole capping landscaping coverage at 3% of the rebuild cost. BOHICA. We had a lush back yard with a waterfall, now we have flat, bare DG.

The front yard before was beautifully done with a lawn and flowers, etc. now I have the best kept weed patch on the street.

All in all, I think we are out about a hundred grand, not including the loss of investment in my art. But, no physical injuries from the fire. Definitely some deep mental scars. One of our horses died from the pigeon fever I mentioned above. Winston. He was a good kid and didn’t deserve that. We still have Cooper, our other horse and we came home with another doggie, Lou. Abby has a friend in the house now.

Glad to be alive! Getting ready to finally split California.

Hug your families. Kiss your doggies and tell your friends they are important to you. You never know when it could all go up in flames.

Still here buying and trading knives. Fire can’t destroy everything!

I joined Bladeforums July 16, 2001. Today I have been here exactly 23 years. Tomorrow is the first day of my 24th year on Bladeforums!

It's really cool that you went out of your way to collect art. It's one of those things that matters.

Thanks for the update and godspeed brother.

Damn man. I hope you the best in life from here on out. If yall do decide to get out of California come to Oklahoma or Texas at least the guy laws are way more relaxed.

Back