Recommendation? So you've Got $1500 to Spend - Which Folder and Why?

I don’t know but I’d choose between something by:
Don Hanson
Scott Gallagher
Shiro Neon R20
Koenig Arius

$1500? On a folder? It'd have to look something like this.

FN-SCAR-L-Mk2-CQC-Noir-with-stock-folded_1280x800.jpg

Buck Custom Shop 110 with S30V blade, unless they have another option, (like 5160 or 1095) besides S30V and 420HC, brass bolsters, and pinned Elk covers, with the brown distressed leather sheath.
I'd use the remaining $1390 ~ $1380 or so on some arrows, a good bow sight, maybe a 72 inch English Longbow, a 1000 watt 48 volt front wheel for my adult trike, (and a couple batteries) maybe an EXL Italian Sausage, Shrimp, and Mushroom pizza with extra cheese, (delivery) and sixty-two 2 liters of Shasta Mnt. Lightning soda. (that might be enough soda to last me a month anna half to two months ... but no promises/ guarantees.) a pair of pliers, folding saw, and mustache-beard scissors for EDC ... pay the pharmicy what I owe for the OTC the doc ordered but insurance won't pay for.
OH! And renew my DL.
Whatever is left over, save it for that proverbial "rainy day". :)

Without disclosing your personal needs you’re going to get a Who’s Who of upper end knife makers.

I bought a Baker’s Dozen of custom, mid tech and production flippers over the past few years. Anso, Burger, CRK and more. Of them my favorites are a custom Laconico EZC and a production Shirogorov HatiOn Lite (one of several variations).

But that’s me as I prefer smaller frame lock and liner lock flippers I can operate with one hand. The Laconico particularly gets 100% of my carry time because of its aesthetic. I’m a minimalist in most things and knives are no exception. The EZC is flawlessly executed, has never needed centering and opens with authority every time I flip it. It’s also easy to keep an edge on it. It would be half, or a bit more, of your budget. So would the Shiro.

But if you need to spend that money, I’d also look at a Jens Anso Neo. It might even be a bit more, depending on finish and steel. They’re pretty rare on BF.

Last edited:
You could look at the used market for customs in that $$ range by Southard, Terzoula, Rogers, Anso, Lightfoot, Mayo, Laconico, Savidan, Elishewitz, Turpin, Ochs, or Lambert.

For new customs $1,500 and under I'd suggest looking at Gedraitus, Thorburn, VanHeerden, Challenor, J Clark, Zinker, Guthrie, Pena, Cheburkov, Rogovets, Nadeau, Tighe, or Diskin.

I've found I get the most value out of customs in the $750 - $1200 range made by lesser known individuals. The makers portion of the exchange on this forum is a superb resource for these pieces. Of note, I'd recommend Tobin Smith, Matt Bailey, Alan Davis, Petr Weingartner ( wajgy wajgy ), and Cyril Kalisz.

Happy buyin 👍

Last edited:
$1500.....
I don't think I would buy only one knife.
Maybe a Chris Reeve and a Spyderco.
I usually don't keep up on the higher prices knives.
With $1500 I'd be looking........
still buy more than one knife.

There’s a nice little Michael Walker folder up on Nordic Knives right now for $1,695. It’s a bit over the limit but I might go for that.

Alternatively, I’d look for something by Scott Sawby, W.D. Pease, Jess Horn, Ron Best (one of his “non-tactical” knives), or several others.

I would personally steer very, very clear of any and all “hot new makers” (which usually mean people selling overpriced, bad designs, albeit with great “action,” made on CNC machines).

Back