Soap scum

Been using a DE safety razor for about a year now. Sure like it better than disposables. Now i've grown attached to it a nice layer of soap scum has grown attached to it. I rinse under the hot tap while shaving, of course, but my shiny shaver is now white. Suggestions short of the obvious, "take it apart and scrub it clean" ??

Offhand, the Scrubbing Bubbles type of shower and tub cleaner. You can also use a soft bristle tooth brush and brush gently and just enough to remove the soap scum after soaking.

I've also soaked in warm water and dish detergent and then used a tooth brush.

I'll second aih's recommendation. every few months I run over the head of my razor with an old toothbrush I keep for cleaning folders. I try not to let the gunk build up too much in the blade area, since I feel like that is where bacteria are going to be growing, as well as the gunk will hold moisture which could lead to corrosion over time.

Ultrasonic cleaner works getting scum of detailed handles as well. Toothpaste on toothbrush works 95% as well.....more work.

I'm not sure soap scum increasing corrosion is a concern.

The razor base material and the plating is important.

I have both personal experience and knowledge from the forums. I have several vintage Gillette razors that were made in the 50's and early 60's. The base metal of these is brass. I think the plating is nickel, but I haven't confirmed. They were very dirty with soap scum when I acquired them. Some soaking in scrubbing bubbles and a little brushing with a tooth brush and they cleaned up nice.

I have a Fatip that is nickel platted brass. I let the soap scum build up on it and only once in a while clean it with a soak in warm water and dish detergent and soft bristle tooth brush.

For these plated razors I would be more worried about the cleaning than the soap scum. The plating is very thin. If the plating is gold then it is also relatively soft compared to chrome or nickel. You don't want to rub or scrub through it. That is why I said soft brush and don't brush any more than necessary.

The razors that are made with Zamak alloy (e.g. Edwin Jagger, Merkur) as the base metal are a different story in a way. The issue with these is you must be extra careful with the plating. If there is a break (chip, flaking, wear and tear) the Zamak will corrode away fast.

FYI to anyone, I learned a lesson with my first Edwin Jagger razor. Starting with second Edwin Jagger I rub soap on the cap threads when I change the blade to help prevent the chrome plating on the threads from chipping and flaking and exposing the Zamak base.

Been using a DE safety razor for about a year now. Sure like it better than disposables. Now i've grown attached to it a nice layer of soap scum has grown attached to it. I rinse under the hot tap while shaving, of course, but my shiny shaver is now white. Suggestions short of the obvious, "take it apart and scrub it clean" ??

A soft toothbrush can work miracles when used with hot water to remove the scum.

I live in a very high humidity area, so anything that might be a slight problem everywhere else, I have a major problem with it. I've had to scrub spots off my 154cm and s30V blades, just from carry.

I'm not sure soap scum increasing corrosion is a concern.

The razor base material and the plating is important.

I have both personal experience and knowledge from the forums. I have several vintage Gillette razors that were made in the 50's and early 60's. The base metal of these is brass. I think the plating is nickel, but I haven't confirmed. They were very dirty with soap scum when I acquired them. Some soaking in scrubbing bubbles and a little brushing with a tooth brush and they cleaned up nice.

I have a Fatip that is nickel platted brass. I let the soap scum build up on it and only once in a while clean it with a soak in warm water and dish detergent and soft bristle tooth brush.

For these plated razors I would be more worried about the cleaning than the soap scum. The plating is very thin. If the plating is gold then it is also relatively soft compared to chrome or nickel. You don't want to rub or scrub through it. That is why I said soft brush and don't brush any more than necessary.

The razors that are made with Zamak alloy (e.g. Edwin Jagger, Merkur) as the base metal are a different story in a way. The issue with these is you must be extra careful with the plating. If there is a break (chip, flaking, wear and tear) the Zamak will corrode away fast.

FYI to anyone, I learned a lesson with my first Edwin Jagger razor. Starting with second Edwin Jagger I rub soap on the cap threads when I change the blade to help prevent the chrome plating on the threads from chipping and flaking and exposing the Zamak base.

It is nickel on vintage Gillettes. Gentle cleaning is the way to go with these and the gold plated ones. Cleaning the soap remains off is mostly for cosmetic reasons.

Vintage Gillettes ? Gee , I went to college in Brooklyn in what originally was a Gillette Razor factory ! :rolleyes:

Back