Socks? What's good out there?

I'm looking for some heavier socks with good cushioning and padding. Hopefully some moisture wicking as well.

I'm in my Leather hiking/work boots for at least 10 hours a day on concrete floors. I can literally almost wring my current cotton socks out at the end of the day from the heat (100+F) and sweat. I'm going through different insoles now to deal with the pain that comes from being on my feet for 4 to ~ 6 hour stretches without rest. I can't really afford ~$20 a pair socks either. :(

What works better for someone like myself of average weight (~170lbs) that is cost effective and durable?

I'm going to try some Fox River Ragglers but, I suspect they will be a bit wet like straight cotton socks though, hopefully, more padded and protective of my feet when walking across really hot asphalt. In the past, I haven't been a fan of synthetic socks due to the stink and the fact that they entered the wash like short 2x4 wall studs. o_O Is a straight wool sock possibly a better option for me? What are my better options for good socks that won't break the bank?

TIA,
Sid

I have never regretted making the move to Smartwool socks. I am a "wet footed" type, unfortunately and had a hard time finding socks that would help that.

I have found them to be worth the money spent and they tend to last me a long time.

I have never regretted making the move to Smartwool socks. I am a "wet footed" type, unfortunately and had a hard time finding socks that would help that.

I have found them to be worth the money spent and they tend to last me a long time.

Agreed, smartwool works well.

I like my darn tough vermonts expensive, but I do feel you get what you pay for. Not had them long though. I like wool in the heat, I have since learned that cotton socks are the devils work, and even in really hot weather, wool is where I go. For cheaper brands, I have some fox rivers that have stood up pretty well, and some wigwams that did alright, but eventually the elastic will blow out. hanging them to dry prolongs the life on them. I generally get a few years out of wool socks, far longer than cotton ones, and even if the ankle elastic starts to go, they are generally far more serviceable than cotton ones.

My Ariat boot socks are extremely comfortable. Just enough padding to not be bulky, strong enough to stay up around my legs (no pulling them up or tightening them during the day), and keep my feet relatively dry. I am on my feet 10-12 hours a day in the elements all year as well. These have done pretty good for me in the warm months.

Another vote for Smartwool! I am completely astounded by Smartwool socks! They literally changed the way I use socks. My smartwool socks are comfortable, durable, and some how, DO NOT STINK! I run, hike, fish, mow the lawn, etc, etc, etc and sometimes go for more than a week without washing them ( I do let them dry out between uses) and they still don't smell. I don't understand how this is even possible, but it is! My shoes start to stink way before my socks... The Smartwool sock really are incredible, the only downside is the cost (I bought mine on sale, and they were still $12 a pair) but they are absolutely worth every penny. One of the best purchases I've ever made, I tell everyone I know about them!

These are the ones I wore this weekend, and as you can see, they are almost able to stand up by themselves, yet NO ODOR! WMJSaBJ - Imgur.jpg

Another vote for Smartwool! I am completely astounded by Smartwool socks! They literally changed the way I use socks. My smartwool socks are comfortable, durable, and some how, DO NOT STINK! I run, hike, fish, mow the lawn, etc, etc, etc and sometimes go for more than a week without washing them ( I do let them dry out between uses) and they still don't smell. I don't understand how this is even possible, but it is! My shoes start to stink way before my socks... The Smartwool sock really are incredible, the only downside is the cost (I bought mine on sale, and they were still $12 a pair) but they are absolutely worth every penny. One of the best purchases I've ever made, I tell everyone I know about them!

Modern thread/fabric technology has improved greatly over time in addition to Mother Nature! I rediscovered wool when I bought some Ice Breaker brand wool garments out of New Zealand. 6 months in Europe with no laundry and no stink!

My experiences with socks was mixed. Synthetics at the time, while warm, really smelled bad at the end of the day or even mid-day (it has to be pretty bad when you can smell them from leather boots in a field :eek:). Regular wool itched like crazy and the finer no-itch wools had no durability which is what brought me here. ;)

It happened slowly for me, I was always anti-wool socks because the ones I remembered were thick and itchy. I am now a full blown Darn Tough convert. I have switched over my entire sock drawer to Darn Tough (with a few Smartwools as well) and will never go back. I looked for sales and would pick up a pair or two at a time, while at the same time retiring an old pair of cotton or synthetic socks. It took about two years to completely switch, but was a painless and cost effective change for me.

The ones I have landed on are blended merino wool and synthetics. They breathe well, son;t stink and I have not experienced a hole yet! DT also come with a lifetime warranty. I have not had to use this yet, but form what I have heard, it is as simple as sending in your old pair, and getting new ones (I am guessing that you would need to pay shipping though)

Darn tough and Point 6. Point 6 is the next evolution from the founders of smart wool. Both are quality with lifetime warranty. I recently used the darn tough warranty and it was fairly easy to get some new socks after wearing through them after quite a few years of use including in the gym.

I bought a large number of fitsok merino/synthetics from Massdrop. I'm British and it was a cost effective way to get some in various styles in xxxl as I'm a UK 13-14.

We are having a heatwave at the moment and though I normally live in sandals, Spring to Autumn, I have been in the short pair with Columbia trainers for a few days.

I have terribly sweaty feet, hence the sandals and so far odour, wicking seem to be exceptional.

I work 6-8 hour shifts constantly moving on my feet, no breaks here, brutal.
Smartwool all the way for me at work and they're also my choice for mountain biking.
I will give the Point 6 socks a try though just for the warranty, thanks pyreaux!

Darn Tough. My wife mentioned to me this morning that a sock site has them on sale for $15. I know that sounds expensive, but they have a lifetime guarantee, and they feel great. You won't need five pairs, either. When they dry overnight, they don't smell, so you can wear them multiple days.

I'm another smartwool fan.

I grab them on clearance from rei. I prefer the phd ski light and phd ski mediums.

I love he extra padding in toe box, heel, and shin for working in boots or outdoors. I also like how they offer support as they are over the calf but not as tight as real compression socks.

Absolute winners.

Back