Socks? What's good out there?

Smartwool 365 days/year. They have a height, style, thickness for every season and occasion. The socks last years, low maintenance.

I will not wear anything else. Look for ones made in the USA.

Rocked a pair of Fox River Military Fatigue Fighter socks the past few days. Definitely a step in the right direction. A lot drier than cotton crew socks and the polypropylene does 'wick' moisture away pretty good, though leather boots still don't breathe well. The 'compression' does, in fact, help fight fatigue and isn't just marketing and PR hype.

Thorlos Unisex TX Tennis Thick Padded Crew Sock on Amazon I get three pair out of the package and they usually last a year. Thick padded area under the whole bottom and up around the ankle.

Smartwool is good ... Cabelas offers some Cabelas branded socks that are good ... but a good liner is a must for me ... wicks moiture away better IMHO and gives added protection against blisters too ... and the newer liner socks most are odorless or odor controled so they are better than the early polypropylene liners in that reguard.

Ice breakers, found them at marshals, ended up buying every pair they had, even the women's.
You do have to check the size, and the ski Sox's are to long.
Darn tough are nice, I've got a few pairs that are 7 years old, still going

Cabot and sons and darn tough are the same company I believe (both made in Vermont). I like the Cabot and sons mid weight hikers all I wear at work(10 hours a day outside in Michigan weather). I even like them in trainers and my feet never feel wet really, even when they are it still feels so much better. They are expensive but worth it and they last me close to two years , sometimes wearing & washing twice a week.

Laugh if you want but the Costco wool sox wear like iron, are comfortable, 85% wool, 15% nylon. Been wearing them for 7-8 years now everyday
year round never a foot issue. I buy 12 every year $12 for a four pack and rotate them in pairs, they are in light blue and grey. At the end of the year I give them to the homeless shelter they are still ready to wear.

How the heck do you decide on which sock buying on line? I just checked out the smartwool and darntough websites and it's a sea of socks! :)

How the heck do you decide on which sock buying on line? I just checked out the smartwool and darntough websites and it's a sea of socks! :)
As an owner of at least 25 pair of smart wool, I know what you mean.

Assuming you know your general size, I would consider the thickness or cushion of the sock, the height of the sock, and where it is made (I like USA). After that, look at color and style.

Taller, thicker socks are good for cold and certain types of activities. Thinner, shorter for other things. Sometimes the style name of the sock is an indication.

Ultimately, I chose many different socks to see what I liked best.

Another fan of Smartwool socks .
Mine just keep on going for YEARS (some I’ve had for at least a decade.) No special care. Throw them in the washer, dry them in the dryer or window sill…

And they feel so nice to wear that I won’t wear anything else.

The store brand from Bass Pro are wearing tough for me and I'm in boots all day training horses. The bonus is that when they wear out they will replace them free if you bring in a matched pair.

Zieg

Back