SODBUSTERS... bust 'em out, work 'em hard and show 'em off

A bit of trivia :)

I had not clue what "smoked oak" was. It turns out it is not smoked at all but actually exposed to ammonia fumes which then react to the tannins in the white oak and change the coloration of the wood while bringing out the grain.

Here is a chart of the different colors obtained after different exposure times.
Looks like my little goat knife scales were in there for about 28 hours :cool:

Gi4Grew.jpg

XHx19wG.jpg

So if you did not know this ... well, now you do :D

I had not clue what "smoked oak" was. It turns out it is not smoked at all but actually exposed to ammonia fumes which then react to the tannins in the white oak and change the coloration of the wood while bringing out the grain.

Here is a chart of the different colors obtained after different exposure times.

Gi4Grew.jpg

XHx19wG.jpg

That’s great information, thanks for posting it. I assumed, like you, that it was actually smoked. Boy, it doesn’t take long does it?

Anybody drilled a Case Jr. for a lanyard hole? Or a bail? Pics? :)

Not sure why, since I've almost always hated a knife with a bail, but I'm thinking a nice brass wire bail on my new CV chestnut Jr. Might be nice...

Heck, knife hasn't arrived yet and I'm thinking about drilling holes in it! Ha!

That’s great information, thanks for posting it. I assumed, like you, that it was actually smoked. Boy, it doesn’t take long does it?

I feel smarter now... Thanks, Dan. :cool::thumbsup:

Oh but wait ... do you want to know how they discovered this ?
It seems some farmers had left oak boards in their barns and they noticed that the horse's urine ( ammonia) was changing the color of the wood.
Now you know ... the rest of the story :cool:

Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammon...dental discovery,urine reacting with the wood.

Anybody drilled a Case Jr. for a lanyard hole? Or a bail? Pics? :)

Not sure why, since I've almost always hated a knife with a bail, but I'm thinking a nice brass wire bail on my new CV chestnut Jr. Might be nice...

Heck, knife hasn't arrived yet and I'm thinking about drilling holes in it! Ha!

Hola Tigre :)

We do quite a bit of boating in the summer, hence my wish for lanyards as you will hear some boaters say that you need to secure your knife in case it goes overboard.
In all honesty, I 've never tied a knife while on a boat but I really don't use them that much while onboard.
I occasionally may cut some bait or fishing line.
( I've taken them out for pics though lol :D ).

I also like to hang my knives from my Victorinox belt clip and drop them in my pocket if I can so lanyards come handy for that.
For the majority of my knives though I make a point of wearing summer pants and shorts with zippered pockets to keep them secure while outdoors.

I have tinkered here and there with some of my knives, sometimes for the better and other times not so much lol but I am hesitant at the idea of drilling into it.

Don't rest on your laurels just yet. There's still that jigged bone Sodbuster.

:thumbsup::D

Last edited:

Gi4Grew.jpg

XHx19wG.jpg

Oh but wait ... do you want to know how they discovered this ?
It seems some farmers had left oak boards in their barns and they noticed that the horse's urine ( ammonia) was changing the color of the wood.
Now you know ... the rest of the story :cool:

I guess they thought “smoked oak” sounded better than “horse-p*** wood.” ;) :D

my job in here is finally done :D
Not yet it's not, it is your friendly enabler here.:D:D:D. I just got an email from a retailer, and won't break any forum rules about purchasing, BUT, if i read it correctly, Case have released a Sodbuster in Pocket Worn Peach Seed Jigged Bone. OH MAN, do they look any good, so you may not be finished with your enabling just yet.:eek:. And remember my friend, you started all this.:):):):):):);).

Not yet it's not, it is your friendly enabler here.:D:D:D. I just got an email from a retailer, and won't break any forum rules about purchasing, BUT, if i read it correctly, Case have released a Sodbuster in Pocket Worn Peach Seed Jigged Bone. OH MAN, do they look any good, so you may not be finished with your enabling just yet.:eek:. And remember my friend, you started all this.:):):):):):);).

lol Leon :D TY for all the enabling :thumbsup::cool:, I am happy to help too when I can :D

I must say that the Pocket Worn Peach Seed Jigged Bone looks super nice :thumbsup:
The sodbuster pattern is the perfect canvas to display its beauty.

I also noticed Case has some other really nice offerings in bone for the humble sodbusters :thumbsup:.

I wish I could collect them all.

Yesterday I was talking to my wife about knives, buying knives etc when she said something like:

" I am happy you enjoy the hobby and that you got a few knives recently" then she said something like :
" Enjoy them, maybe you can take a little break and get yourself a couple more around Christmas time" :eek::eek::eek: .... OUCH !!! :D

Back to the Pocket Worn Peach Seed Jigged Bone ;)

vrjBHJv.jpg

Yesterday I was talking to my wife about knives, buying knives etc when she said something like:

" I am happy you enjoy the hobby and that you got a few knives recently" then she said something like :
" Enjoy them, maybe you can take a little break and get yourself a couple more around Christmas time" :eek::eek::eek: .... OUCH !!! :D
:D:D I got that suggestion from my wife the other day also! She probably isn’t wrong!:rolleyes:

Back