SODBUSTERS... bust 'em out, work 'em hard and show 'em off

My Otter felt a bit thick in the beginning ( it’s even thicker than case’s delrin )
I decided to give it a chance and after a couple days it really felt like a good fit.
I went back to my case slim bone soddie and now that one felt thin :confused:
I guess our brains are quite good at adapting to new situations .

I figured it had been used probably for centuries in Europe with a thicker handle and that there must be a reason for it even if it felt a bit odd at first.

Now that little Otter is one of my favourites.

Oh, I like that! I'm glad this popped up on my radar. They have some other great handle options too.
yes they do have other handle options and i have the red micarta and the gray micarta i purchased the bocote wood and olive wood for my grandson as he likes wood covers. everyone that i own have been great as far as fit & finish and the walk & talk has been just fine IMHO. they feel better in my hand than the GEC bull nose which was my favorite work knife until i tried the maserian plow. they are a little thinner than the GEC and i also find the blade to be thinner and i like that has less belly than the bull nose

yes they do have other handle options and i have the red micarta and the gray micarta i purchased the bocote wood and olive wood for my grandson as he likes wood covers. everyone that i own have been great as far as fit & finish and the walk & talk has been just fine IMHO. they feel better in my hand than the GEC bull nose which was my favorite work knife until i tried the maserian plow. they are a little thinner than the GEC and i also find the blade to be thinner and i like that has less belly than the bull nose

The more I read and look at this knife the more I see it as the perfect camping /work knife.
I will have to get me one this summer and see it in person :thumbsup:

The fact that is from Italy is extra cool :thumbsup: .
My great grandfather emigrated from Italy to Argentina and I proudly carry his last name :thumbsup: :)

My Otter felt a bit thick in the beginning ( it’s even thicker than case’s delrin )
I decided to give it a chance and after a couple days it really felt like a good fit.
I went back to my case slim bone soddie and now that one felt thin
:confused:
I guess our brains are quite good at adapting to new situations .

I figured it had been used probably for centuries in Europe with a thicker handle and that there must be a reason for it even if it felt a bit odd at first.

Now that little Otter is one of my favourites.
:thumbsup:I had the same experience.
But I like the Otter because I prefer wooden handles on my users.

Your whiskey bone is thinner than Delrin handles, right, John? Do you prefer the grip/feel of the thinner handles?
I don't have a Case Delrin Sodbuster Jr, so I don't know how thick it is, but I wouldn't mind a SBJr handle a bit heftier than those on my bone-handled Case SBJrs.

- GT
Sorry, i meant to answer your question when i saw your post, sorry for the delay. I took some measurements for you, the Delrin is .532 of an inch thick, and the whiskey bone is .384 of an inch. Taken with a micro-meter, so they are accurate.:thumbsup::).
uq6JFWt.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, i meant to answer your question when i saw your post, sorry for the delay. I took some measurements for you, the Delrin is .532 of an inch thick, and the whiskey bone is .384 of an inch. Taken with a micro-meter, so they are accurate.:thumbsup::).
uq6JFWt.jpg
Thanks for the informative measurements and comparison photo! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
The Delrin handle is obviously thicker, but I suppose I'd actually have to have it in my hand to decide on my preference. Guess I'll have to buy a yeller SBJr! :rolleyes:

If a person thought the Delrin was a little too thick, is it the kind of material that could be thinned down by sanding, or is that an unreasonable amount of work?

- GT

Thanks for the informative measurements and comparison photo! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
The Delrin handle is obviously thicker, but I suppose I'd actually have to have it in my hand to decide on my preference. Guess I'll have to buy a yeller SBJr! :rolleyes:

If a person thought the Delrin was a little too thick, is it the kind of material that could be thinned down by sanding, or is that an unreasonable amount of work?

- GT
The delrin can be sanded I believe, but I think the yellow sodbusters are too comfortable in hand to mess with.

Just buy a whiskey bone or jigged bone, then ya' got 2.:p:p:p:D:D:thumbsup:.

The pivot pin on a Sodbuster is a cutlery rivet, so you would have to be careful to not sand too much away, or the head of the rivet would be compromised.

The pivot pin on a Sodbuster is a cutlery rivet, so you would have to be careful to not sand too much away, or the head of the rivet would be compromised.
Excellent point that I hadn't considered. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Good day to you all gentlemen. I'm a newcomer to this thread, and to the forum in general terms. I came across this thread, and here's my small contribution. I really like soddies. A Friedrich Herder "Hippekniep" and my two yellow delrin Cases. I use them extensively. A pic is included to show how thicker the Solingen knife handle is. As with other first participations, I feel the need to explain that English is not my native tongue.

lvuJFu.jpg

hrN9Dg.jpg

Good day to you all gentlemen. I'm a newcomer to this thread, and to the forum in general terms. I came across this thread, and here's my small contribution. I really like soddies. A Friedrich Herder "Hippekniep" and my two yellow delrin Cases. I use them extensively. A pic is included to show how thicker the Solingen knife handle is. As with other first participations, I feel the need to explain that English is not my native tongue.

lvuJFu.jpg

hrN9Dg.jpg

That’s is thick (even for a sodbuster)! Good looking trio of working knives. :thumbsup:

Back