SODBUSTERS... bust 'em out, work 'em hard and show 'em off

CelloDan

Basic Member
My Otter felt a bit thick in the beginning ( it’s even thicker than case’s delrin )
I decided to give it a chance and after a couple days it really felt like a good fit.
I went back to my case slim bone soddie and now that one felt thin :confused:
I guess our brains are quite good at adapting to new situations .

I figured it had been used probably for centuries in Europe with a thicker handle and that there must be a reason for it even if it felt a bit odd at first.

Now that little Otter is one of my favourites.

Reaper AL

Platinum Member
Oh, I like that! I'm glad this popped up on my radar. They have some other great handle options too.
yes they do have other handle options and i have the red micarta and the gray micarta i purchased the bocote wood and olive wood for my grandson as he likes wood covers. everyone that i own have been great as far as fit & finish and the walk & talk has been just fine IMHO. they feel better in my hand than the GEC bull nose which was my favorite work knife until i tried the maserian plow. they are a little thinner than the GEC and i also find the blade to be thinner and i like that has less belly than the bull nose

CelloDan

Basic Member
yes they do have other handle options and i have the red micarta and the gray micarta i purchased the bocote wood and olive wood for my grandson as he likes wood covers. everyone that i own have been great as far as fit & finish and the walk & talk has been just fine IMHO. they feel better in my hand than the GEC bull nose which was my favorite work knife until i tried the maserian plow. they are a little thinner than the GEC and i also find the blade to be thinner and i like that has less belly than the bull nose

The more I read and look at this knife the more I see it as the perfect camping /work knife.
I will have to get me one this summer and see it in person :thumbsup:

The fact that is from Italy is extra cool :thumbsup: .
My great grandfather emigrated from Italy to Argentina and I proudly carry his last name :thumbsup: :)

My Otter felt a bit thick in the beginning ( it’s even thicker than case’s delrin )
I decided to give it a chance and after a couple days it really felt like a good fit.
I went back to my case slim bone soddie and now that one felt thin
:confused:
I guess our brains are quite good at adapting to new situations .

I figured it had been used probably for centuries in Europe with a thicker handle and that there must be a reason for it even if it felt a bit odd at first.

Now that little Otter is one of my favourites.
:thumbsup:I had the same experience.
But I like the Otter because I prefer wooden handles on my users.

cudgee

Gold Member
Your whiskey bone is thinner than Delrin handles, right, John? Do you prefer the grip/feel of the thinner handles?
I don't have a Case Delrin Sodbuster Jr, so I don't know how thick it is, but I wouldn't mind a SBJr handle a bit heftier than those on my bone-handled Case SBJrs.

- GT
Sorry, i meant to answer your question when i saw your post, sorry for the delay. I took some measurements for you, the Delrin is .532 of an inch thick, and the whiskey bone is .384 of an inch. Taken with a micro-meter, so they are accurate.:thumbsup::).
uq6JFWt.jpg

Last edited:

5K Qs

Gold Member
Sorry, i meant to answer your question when i saw your post, sorry for the delay. I took some measurements for you, the Delrin is .532 of an inch thick, and the whiskey bone is .384 of an inch. Taken with a micro-meter, so they are accurate.:thumbsup::).
uq6JFWt.jpg
Thanks for the informative measurements and comparison photo! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
The Delrin handle is obviously thicker, but I suppose I'd actually have to have it in my hand to decide on my preference. Guess I'll have to buy a yeller SBJr! :rolleyes:

If a person thought the Delrin was a little too thick, is it the kind of material that could be thinned down by sanding, or is that an unreasonable amount of work?

- GT

CVamberbonehead

Gold Member
Thanks for the informative measurements and comparison photo! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
The Delrin handle is obviously thicker, but I suppose I'd actually have to have it in my hand to decide on my preference. Guess I'll have to buy a yeller SBJr! :rolleyes:

If a person thought the Delrin was a little too thick, is it the kind of material that could be thinned down by sanding, or is that an unreasonable amount of work?

- GT
The delrin can be sanded I believe, but I think the yellow sodbusters are too comfortable in hand to mess with.

cudgee

Gold Member
Just buy a whiskey bone or jigged bone, then ya' got 2.:p:p:p:D:D:thumbsup:.

Bastler

Gold Member

The pivot pin on a Sodbuster is a cutlery rivet, so you would have to be careful to not sand too much away, or the head of the rivet would be compromised.

5K Qs

Gold Member
The pivot pin on a Sodbuster is a cutlery rivet, so you would have to be careful to not sand too much away, or the head of the rivet would be compromised.
Excellent point that I hadn't considered. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Good day to you all gentlemen. I'm a newcomer to this thread, and to the forum in general terms. I came across this thread, and here's my small contribution. I really like soddies. A Friedrich Herder "Hippekniep" and my two yellow delrin Cases. I use them extensively. A pic is included to show how thicker the Solingen knife handle is. As with other first participations, I feel the need to explain that English is not my native tongue.

lvuJFu.jpg

hrN9Dg.jpg

btb01

Gold Member
Good day to you all gentlemen. I'm a newcomer to this thread, and to the forum in general terms. I came across this thread, and here's my small contribution. I really like soddies. A Friedrich Herder "Hippekniep" and my two yellow delrin Cases. I use them extensively. A pic is included to show how thicker the Solingen knife handle is. As with other first participations, I feel the need to explain that English is not my native tongue.

lvuJFu.jpg

hrN9Dg.jpg

That’s is thick (even for a sodbuster)! Good looking trio of working knives. :thumbsup: