Soft screws at times on PM2's?

So I own 15 PM 2's. All of which are new and unused except 1. Upon loosening the pivot screws on most when received for cleaning and lubing. At least one pivot screw is usually over tightened or to much thread locker. As long as I firmly hold the knife in one hand and securely place my Wiha torx and very firmly turn they always come loose.

Well the last four i have done this with to were a real issue. I bared down and finally the screw released, well so I thought. It remained rather hard to turn the torx and upon looking closer. I could see the metal was soft and the torx pattern was now more round or ground out. I could tell it was softer metal than usually used.

Has anyone else incurred this same issue? It was only pivot screws as stated earlier. I am sure hoping Spyderco well make good on this. If not it will be a real bear to get these out with out damaging the knife.

I could have gone all day with out this happening for sure.

I have seen the same thing once. It was a black pivot screw so it looked terrible afterwards.

I really hope they can repair for me. Otherwise I am left to drilling it out very carefully. I had to do that on a pocket clip screw on a HX Outdoor zd-006 once. It turned out fine but was very tedious for sure

If anybody knows a better way please share.

I recommend heating it up with a heat gun or blow drier. If I push hard and turn slightly with my Wiha if there’s no movement I’ll do the above.

One of the scale screws on my Caribbean had so much thread locker that the screw stripped entirely. I think part of the issue is how soft that screw is. If I ever want to fully disassemble that knife I’ll have to drill it out and then try to find a replacement which I suspect will be a challenge. It really turned me off of Spyderco for a while. :(

if you need to remove the screw I would recommend buying a set of easy outs or grab-its instead of drilling it out ... they work pretty well and lots less chance of damaging the knife itself ... you may have to look at the sizes I can't which brand if I got the micro set for knife screws.

if you need to remove the screw I would recommend buying a set of easy outs or grab-its instead of drilling it out ... they work pretty well and lots less chance of damaging the knife itself ... you may have to look at the sizes I can't which brand if I got the micro set for knife screws.
Thank you very much! I am a little concerned though since the screw is so tight it never loosened. I will try heating first, although that trick has never helped before on other brands

I find Spyderco screws to me middle of the road for hardness. Just about perfect.

Last edited:
One of the scale screws on my Caribbean had so much thread locker that the screw stripped entirely. I think part of the issue is how soft that screw is. If I ever want to fully disassemble that knife I’ll have to drill it out and then try to find a replacement which I suspect will be a challenge. It really turned me off of Spyderco for a while. :(
Spyderco has got much better now with using less loctite on smaller screws although sometimes on there piviot screws they still put to much and have had to heat it up pretty good to break it loose.

I had some issue with my PM3 Maxamet pivot screw, it eventually came loose and everything was fine. For a moment, I was thinking of heating it up with a blow dryer

I banged up the screws on my Burple PM2 easier than expected.

So I took both knives apart hoping to get a hold on the pivot and no luck getting the screw out. Spyderco was nice about this though thru email.
They said if they require machining to get out it will be 20.00 each knife plus 5 return shipping. If no machining, 5.00 return shipping. They will have to machine for sure. It is better this way than me having to drill out though.

I stripped two clip screws on a pm2 switching the clip to left-hand. Lots of loctite on those screws. I’ve had maybe 15 spyderco knives I’ve moved the clips on. The pm2 screws were the only ones that stripped.

If a screw is tight,,, small tip soldering iron,,, direct heat to screw head and good torx bits by Wiha.
It is not a soft screw problem,, operator experience will solve the difficulties.

Regards,
FK

A well-seated wiha has never stripped a spyderco screw for me. Use a proper tool and don't rush the job.

Life is grand again. Just an update. So Spyderco removed and replaced both screws for the price of one. I feel this was more than fair and a great example of customer service. They also had them in route via UPS to me the day after receiving them. I am more than happy. Thank you Spyderco!

Back