Softening old dry leather?

I have an ancient Brunton Pocket Transit pouch that's very old and very dry.

Any suggestions for softening it up a bit?

Is there anything I might already have around the house that will do it?

Thanks.

I have an ancient Brunton Pocket Transit pouch that's very old and very dry.

Any suggestions for softening it up a bit?

Is there anything I might already have around the house that will do it?

Thanks.

I've used 'ArmorAll' sucessfully on really dead leather.

I'm talking about an old leather biker jacket that had been soaked in a mud puddle for several days, then dried out over a wood stove and stuffed away in the attic for about 20 years dead...

I bought that jacket for less than a dollar in a garage sale, and after spraying it quite wet with ArmorAll and left to sit overnight then rubbed down, I wore it for the next several years as a motorcycle jacket. Sold it at my garage sale.

Your mileage might vary. :D

Stitchawl

I too like the Armor All leather conditioner. Comes in a spray bottle just like the regular Armor All.

Try also Lexol. Available at some auto parts stores for leather upholstry.

Try also Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative. Waxy stuff in a jar. Sold at Knifesshipfree under sheaths care or something. Also sold by Cabela's.

I think Lexol is a better all around leather treatment, but ArmorAll was what I had in the house at the time, and frankly, I don't think Lexol would have gotten that old dead jacket back into the condition that the ArmorAll did. I did use other products later in the jacket's life, such as Lexol, mink oil, etc., but it was the ordinary ArmorAll that brought it back from the grave.

Stitchawl

The Armor All is great for penetration, the thin liquid nature of the stuff makes it ideal for deep use like that old jacket.

Long term, like you did, I'd stick with the thicker conditioners like Lexol and such.

Kozak, I was just wondering if you used the olive oil? I know you were looking for something that you might already have around the house. I had an old cowboy tell me that one years ago and damn if he wasn't spot on.

I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil, myself, but I've heard good things about both Lexol and Armor-All.

The Armor All is great for penetration, the thin liquid nature of the stuff makes it ideal for deep use like that old jacket.

Long term, like you did, I'd stick with the thicker conditioners like Lexol and such.

I was fortunate about 30 years ago in getting to see the inside of a huge leather cleaning company. This was a place (in Boston, Ma, USA) that received leather garments from dry cleaning establishments all over the New England region... the kinds of places that say 'we specialize in cleaning your leather, but we don't guarantee anything!' They send leather coats, jackets, dresses, pants, skirts, etc. to the central cleaning plant for 'special handling.' That 'special handling' blew me away....

.... huge washing machines, laundry soap that would damn near blister your skin is was so caustic.... and a whole lot of warm water!!!

They would put the garments though a long wash cycle, then a long but gentle spin cycle. Then they would hang the garments to dry on large, very thick hangers in a room with moving warm (not hot) air. After the garments were dry, they were gently shaken for about five minutes which completely softened them up again. Stuff came out really clean and in good condition, as the local dry cleaners said. Surprised the hell out of me! Washing machines, water, and soap... for leather! Who'd athunkit?

Stitchawl

I've had excellent result's with Fiebig Aussie Leather Conditioner:

"Developed for Australian horsemen, Aussie Leather Conditioner helps leather to withstand hot, dry climate conditions. Contains natural beeswax. A must for saddle owners in bitter cold, dry areas as well as those in hot, dry climates. Perfect for use on saddles, tack, boots, gun cases and handbags."

After, or pieces that aren't dried out I don't think anything out there beats:
Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative.

I have washed leather in soap and water many times with success. I have an Elk skin vest that I wash a couple of times a year, no problem.

Best regards

Robin

Kozak, I was just wondering if you used the olive oil? I know you were looking for something that you might already have around the house. I had an old cowboy tell me that one years ago and damn if he wasn't spot on.

I haven't tried anything, yet.

I'm a bit concerned about olive oil going rancid.

I haven't tried anything, yet.

I'm a bit concerned about olive oil going rancid.

Well stop being concerned :p

The belt that I made for myself was heavily oiled with Extra Virgin Olive Oil to make it really supple, and it has survived over a year of going between Arizona heat and air conditioning, as well as making a few trips to super-humid Illinois. No trouble here :)

Dont have any worries about the olive oil. Next time you do a leather project instead of using a dye. Coat project in Olive oil and set outside in the sun to dry the longer in the sun the richer the tone of leather..

I was going to use olive oil in a couple days here, but today I actually found some of the Armor All stuff in the garage.

Thanks guys.

Back