SOG 2000 from the Navy Seals Museum

Has anyone here seen an early SOG SEAL 2000 knife (shown above) come new with this scabbard?

Thank you... cj
ScTmqiy.jpg

pBt948q.jpg

KSpwSUi.jpg

Has anyone here seen an early SOG SEAL 2000 knife (shown above) come new with this scabbard?

Thank you... cj
To my knowledge the earliest SOG Seal 2000s (including this first 100 run)came with the nylon sheath, then the first kydex, then the second kydex that had a line cutter cutout. The sheath in your photo is not a SOG sheath. I have never seen that sheath before, but it is intriguing as it uses ACW nylon locks and straps and they are a big military provider. Also the bottom strap clearly indicates that it has "dive knife" in mind.
Would a Seal 2000 fit into the shape of that sheath? It almost looks like it;s designed for a straight dagger. Unless that vertical protrusion is above the actual blade holding portion.

Hi,
Yes, i have always this model.
Some days ago, i found an other that my Uncle bought.... quickly :D
Now, only 3 know...
Stay 97 to find.

Photos of his knife :

D6YUfHZ.jpg
Looks like a Blackhawk! sheath, I have one for my KaBar. It will fit most 7" knives.

o my knowledge the earliest SOG Seal 2000s (including this first 100 run)came with the nylon sheath, then the first kydex, then the second kydex that had a line cutter cutout. The sheath in your photo is not a SOG sheath. I have never seen that sheath before, but it is intriguing as it uses ACW nylon locks and straps and they are a big military provider. Also the bottom strap clearly indicates that it has "dive knife" in mind.
Would a Seal 2000 fit into the shape of that sheath? It almost looks like it;s designed for a straight dagger. Unless that vertical protrusion is above the actual blade holding portion.

Thanks for your help... A friend just purchased an early SEAL 2000 on eBay (334425997650), the seller told him that this style scabbard came with "some" of the first SEAL 2000 knives, I am trying to determine if this is true. None of the auction photos show the knife in the scabbard, I assume the knife will fit in the scabbard, when the knife arrives we will know for sure. The same seller sold
an early SEAL 2000 in March (334363278381), that knife came with what I believe to be a correct nylon scabbard.

Thanks for your help... A friend just purchased an early SEAL 2000 on eBay (334425997650), the seller told him that this style scabbard came with "some" of the first SEAL 2000 knives, I am trying to determine if this is true. None of the auction photos show the knife in the scabbard, I assume the knife will fit in the scabbard, when the knife arrives we will know for sure. The same seller sold
an early SEAL 2000 in March (334363278381), that knife came with what I believe to be a correct nylon scabbard.
I spent years buying and selling knives on Ebay and know that 99% of knife sellers on ebay don't know anything about what they are selling, and they will sometimes just "make things up" to get something sold. I do not believe that sheath came with any SOG Seal 2000. At least none that were made available to the public.
Having said that, I am still very curious as to just what that sheath is....please post pics after the knife arrives. Many thanks.

Thank you... cj
ScTmqiy.jpg

pBt948q.jpg

KSpwSUi.jpg
These sheaths were for the commercially sold Camillus Mk2 around the mid 90's to 06.
They were in the Camillus catalogue,and came with either a black or brown leather handled Mk2 as pictured.
Hope this helps.
F8OSlKL.jpg

Great identification! If the 7 inch MK2 fits then then I would think the Seal 2000s 7 inches should too.

Thank you all for your help, when the knife arrives I will post more photos of the scabbard. This is a an an auction photo of the scabbard.

jpLBrI8.jpg

I was buying a lot of knives when SOG, Benchmade (Pacific Cutlery), AlMar, Spyderco, Cold Steel, Blackjack and a few others started up in the late 1980's / 1990's. At that time Gerber, Buck, Puma were also very strong and inovative. I actually had a little bit of a business going for a while with guns, knives at gun shows and from home. At times I was better stocked with knives than most gun stores and some knife stores in the DFW, Texas area. I know that at one point I had well over 500 knives from all of the mentioned companies. I used to have all the catalogs and specs on all of that old stuff but since my last move to Hawaii I dumped almost all of it. That Seal knife was probably when they were trying to get the US Navy to procure them and had submitted tham for testing as well as givving some to SEALs. They were never purchased and I believe that really ticked off SOG at the time. I sold dozens of them because of that frufrah. I tore one of them up myself just for fun. I think this was a time that was the begining of the "tactical type" knife industry. The companies mentioned above really got that stuff going. Although I think the first of the genre was probably the Gerber Mark II in the mid 1960's. That is the knife that really got me interested in knives and knife collecting. I have not really been interested in much that SOG has done since the 1990's, but if they improve their designs and put more manufacturing in the US I could get more interested.
I have been tempted by the Pillar and some of the Kiku models and may give one of those a try. But the selection, quality, innovative designs and nimbleness to bring new things out quickly, of so many new companies have far surpassed these old companies, that they are being left in the dust. While I still have nostalgia towards the old companies like SOG, they have made so many mistakes and put out so many poor knives and cheapened so many of their classics that it is hard to buy something from them versus some of the newer contenders.

Last edited:
I sent to the SOG cie, here retail@sogknives.com, 4 days ago, the same message... But, ANY reply. Maybe that this Cie is out, dead, or other....
I can't imagine that they don't have any information about this (rare) marking engraving model.
Here : http://www.m9m4.com/index.cfm?currentpage=68
Yes I have a Recon Bowie SOG. Could be the first run when they started selling Vietnam style Recon Bowie. On top of the pomel is marked 099. Also have a flash tanto Sog. Handle is shaped like a gun. It is a folder with assisted open. It was made back several years ago.on the other side says 440 steel. I can't find it. Thanks.

And also folks. Don't waste your time calling Sog. I called the number on the box of my Recon Bowie. They didn't even answer Sog. Complete different name. And they said we have no information about our older knife. I wouldn't collect what they are selling now. I had a 2000 SOG.

To my knowledge the earliest SOG Seal 2000s (including this first 100 run)came with the nylon sheath, then the first kydex, then the second kydex that had a line cutter cutout. The sheath in your photo is not a SOG sheath. I have never seen that sheath before, but it is intriguing as it uses ACW nylon locks and straps and they are a big military provider. Also the bottom strap clearly indicates that it has "dive knife" in mind.
My 2000 Recon Bowie SOG was the first run I think but was not a seal's knife. It was a anniversary model. Had it marked on blade.

5Lq8qvp.jpg
vwmgagA.jpg
Hi guys,

Some years ago, i bought a SOG 2000, SEKI JAPAN, first generation blade markings but, after some search, i found only one photo on the web, maybe a "PRIVATE MUSEUM COLLECTION". Add. information are welcome!
SOG 2000 model with the EAGLE Seals, engraving.

I would like to know, if you have accurate information about this model?
How many made etc etc.

Thanks for an eventual reply.

Mister Moon
Nice Mister Moon! I just picked up two stamped SEAL trident SOG 2000's from a collector in Japan with two different style sheaths. They're definitely hard to come by here in North America. I've been trying to find them for a long time and I finally had the opportunity.

That's the usual problem with trying to look up info on an old vintage model of any maker. Most of the front end people are too young to have any first hand knowledge.
In addition, there are "oddities" that can emanate from the OEM factory, that SOG head office doesn't have records or any information on. Usually, unless a particular model, in any configuration, was sold in the U.S., they won't have any info.
But hopefully in this case, I am wrong.
I concur, KenHash! When I was trying to scoop up a lot of Ontario Knife Company's USMC prototypes from the early 2000's USMC bayonet trials that led to the OKC3S the current crop of folks at the company were clueless and couldn't convey any background info from that time period ... lost development history, unfortunately! I envision a binder of engineer drawings and USMC bayonet trials data collecting dust on the top of a cabinet in the attic of OKC.

Hi,
Yes, i have always this model.
Some days ago, i found an other that my Uncle bought.... quickly :D
Now, only 3 know...
Stay 97 to find.

Photos of his knife :

D6YUfHZ.jpg
Mister Moon, I have two of these Trident stamped SOG SEAL 2000's and a gentleman in Taiwan on Facebook's 'International Bayonet Association,' Jame Chang, has posted photos of two as well. Regarding the two I have, one has a nylon sheath similar to yours and the other has a very robust four-slot Kydex/Plastic sheath similar to some retro KaBar/Camillus style plastic sheaths. Some of the characteristics are "USA" molded on the front; two wide leg straps that thread through the slots in the scabbard; a long hip/belt extension with a fastex style disconnect buckle. It's the second version with this style sheath I have seen so I doubt it's an accident, plus, many sheaths between SOG/KABAR/Camillus look to have been shared among these different vendors with their various lines of knives. Since very little is known about these early stamped Trident versions I think the robust scabbard was a transitional sheath before the final design was finalized. On the production version, there were several different sheath versions available with the Seki SOG 2000.

Thank you... cj
ScTmqiy.jpg

pBt948q.jpg

KSpwSUi.jpg
crayj ... Mr. Moon mentioned his uncle has a Trident SEAL stamped SOG 2000 with that exact same Kydex/Plastic scabbard in the photo you posted. I also have the one I got from our friend Gregg that has that same scabbard you posted. Now that I have looked into these early stamped versions I have seen them with four different scabbards (There are even more scabbard styles when compared to the unstamped production versions).
Regarding the stamped SEAL Trident versions I have seen them with the large USA marked KA-BAR/Camillus style you posted; a nylon scabbard with a quick-release plastic buckle on the back; a nylon scabbard with pull-the-dot snaps behind the scabbard ... and then there's one guy on FB's 'International Bayonet Association,' I think it was James Chang from Taiwan, that has several of these early SOG SEAL 2000s, one of which looks to have an early Eagle nylon scabbard.
When comparing SOG/KABAR/Camillus scabbards, it appears at one time the same vendor was used to make scabbards for SOG/KABAR/Camillus; when you look at various lines of knives, especially their older stuff, the likenesses are too coincidental. I think the scabbard is a legit accessory for this early version SOG 2000 and likely was a transitional 'multi-knife' scabbard that was used by SOG until they adopted the nylon scabbard ... so far I know of three Trident Stamped versions with the scabbard you posted.

Back