SOG Agency: Yes or no?

I don't hear much good stuff about SOG. To top that, the selection at the local House of Knives is butt ugly and cheap looking for the price they ask for.

Personally I say no to anything SOG...I guess low quality materials, sloppy qc, and Gunny's endorsement doesn't really do anything for me.

The Agency is a very nice fixed blade. Great balance and overall quality. Worlds apart from the folders.

I'm gonna go with no, AUS8 :barf:, for a little more you could get a ratmandu or SYKCO 711 and for a bit less you could get a rodent 4, that's assuming you want to use the knife, if you just want the look then go for it.

Hell no i will not ever spend another cent on sog there qc is terrible and blade play is unreal i know that autos have a little play but not vertical like a sog. Do not support them.

I'm gonna go with no, AUS8 :barf:, for a little more you could get a ratmandu or SYKCO 711 and for a bit less you could get a rodent 4, that's assuming you want to use the knife, if you just want the look then go for it.
I actually have an RMD LE. The purpose of this knife is mostly for sex appeal :p But also for a stainless defense blade for my car since no guns. Sadface. I love my RMD but it is in no shape or form a defensive knife. Plus it rusts which is not good in my climate.

Over all I would say no for most of their products. They do make a few nice fixed blades but those are not inexpensive. Can't potty mouth SOG to hard since my SEAL 2000 had been arround the block so many times (3 tours in Iraq and more than a few deployments under private contract).

sogseal2000020.jpg

sogseal2000022.jpg

sogseal2000009.jpg

sogseal2000016.jpg

Well between the SOG and the Boker I would go with the boker but for a defensive fixed blade I would go with a carbon steel, can you not just keep it oiled real good? Could you jump up to a Benchmade Nimravus, or a ZT 0170, I just dont see very many good stainless blades at your price point.

Aus 8 for more than you'd spend for a 1095 crovan BK9 plus a nice kydex sheath for it... i'm gonna say no...

If you want a combat knife in that price range, go with Becker or Kabar. Much better steel, and a better company backing it up

Aus 8 for more than you'd spend for a 1095 crovan BK9 plus a nice kydex sheath for it... i'm gonna say no...

If you want a combat knife in that price range, go with Becker or Kabar. Much better steel, and a better company backing it up

Yeah go with old school Kabar for sure.

If you like that knife you should definitely go for a blackjack model 7. Both knives are designed of the Randall #1, however with the blackjack you get awesome A2 steel and a strong and sharp convex edge.

blob77321.jpeg

They also have micarta handles if you don't like leather's disadvantages.

I think the Agency is a great looking knife. I would have already bought it if it came with a kydex sheath which would allow me to install a G-clip for discrete carry in a deep pocket. Nevertheless the leather sheath it comes with is beautifully made. In fact I think Sog has the nicest leather sheaths of any production knife company. If I lived in a area where no one objected to big knives in plain view on a belt, I'd certainly go for it.

If you like that knife you should definitely go for a blackjack model 7. Both knives are designed of the Randall #1, however with the blackjack you get awesome A2 steel and a strong and sharp convex edge.

blob77321.jpeg

They also have micarta handles if you don't like leather's disadvantages.

I've looked and I only see a weirdly shapped blackjack model 7 with 1095.

Yeah go with old school Kabar for sure.

Honestly I hate the ka-bar. :p Just personal preference. I had one but traded it away. I found the tip too weak and it didn't feel tough or of quality.

Mymain criteria are: Good rust resistance and overall element resistance, long(at least 7"), fast. again, I wanted the Boker Subhilt which though it's 440c is the only quality subhilt besides the Cold Steel one and much cheaper. 440c and AUS 8 don't bother me when done correctly. A strictly fighting blade doesn't need to stay continuously sharp, just stay sharp for when it's used and then I can sharpen it back up easily. For every work task then m BM 710-m390 or RMD LE

Last edited:
The Agency is a very nice fixed blade. Great balance and overall quality. Worlds apart from the folders.
Ditto. Great balance.

The boker subhilt is almost 6oz heavier because of all the hardware, which was one of the major turnoffs about it for me. I don't remember if back edge was sharpened either... something worth looking into.

Personally I've very rarely been disappointed with a SOG knife. I have quite a few of their folders and fixed blades. The Agency looks like a nice knife but I have no experience with it.

Back