SOG BladeLight and other Flashlight-in-Knives

Awhile back I saw the SOG BladeLight online (http://www.sogknives.com/bladelight-folder.html) and kinda chuckled. It's a folder with 6 LEDs molded into the handle. Essentially a knife with a flashlight embedded in its handle.

I thought it was a goofy concept :rolleyes:, but then I started thinking of how handy it might be to have a flashlight connected to my EDC blade. That got me wondering if other companies are making these sorts of flashlight-in-knives, too. Can you guys think of any other hybrids like the BladeLight?

I have the Vic Spartan Lite. The light is pretty wack and adds a significant amount of girth, so I'm not a huge fan. BUT it does have that inline Phillips head which is unfortunately rather uncommon.

I like it on the very small compact size Victorinoxes, like the Midnite Manager or Signature Lite. Not a flashlight replacement, but useful to have if you drop something in the dark.

I tend to shy away from any knife or tool with a built in light. 99% of the time they are very poor quality compared to what I am used to. The Victorinox 58mm knives with lights are decent (referring to the light), but as said before they are not a replacement for a good EDC light in my opinion. Better than nothing though.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Aside from fear of receiving some fun ribbing by my buddies, I am concerned about the increase in girth in the knife handle to accommodate the light. I'll have to check out the Victorinox options in person. But it seems like a dedicated flashlight is the better way to go.

. But it seems like a dedicated flashlight is the better way to go.

I agree. I can't see the utility of it. If you need light to see what you're cutting, there's always a head-band lamp, or sticking your 'stick' light between your lips. If you just want a light, I am uncomfortable pointing a blade at something to light it up.

The Victorinox layer LED is not a substitute for a real flashlight, but it does let me see the screw I'm driving.

Back