SOG customer service

I have a Trident tanto that’s been in my pocket nearly everyday for the past 11+ years. I bought it specifically because one of my best friends (and a true “knife guy”) doesn’t care for SOG or tanto point blades. And I’ve carried it all these years just to troll him - although it is a sufficient daily pocket knife.

Anyway, it was sluggishly deploying so I tore it apart, figured it needed a cleaning, which I do every couple years. Turns out the torsion spring that activates the blade deployment was snapped. No complaints about that, use something enough and it will wear, or eventually break.

I emailed SOG customer service about purchasing a new spring. Purchasing. With money. They emailed me back and said they don’t send out parts and that I’d have to mail it in with a $20 “reassembly fee”, also told me I voided the warranty by taking it apart. I don’t care about a warranty, I want to buy a spring. With money. I called them today to talk to a real human and got the same answer. They won’t sell me a spring.

This is crazy, right? Around 7 years ago I asked them to sell me a couple nylon spacers for the same knife as I had got rubbing alcohol on them and ruined them. They just sent them to me, free of charge. A couple years ago I emailed Benchmade about buying a screw for my Infidel that I stripped while putting it back together. They sent me a set a screws, free of charge.

I just want to buy a spring. With money. Anybody have any advice?

I think that by carrying that knife for over a decade.

You have gotten your money's worth out of it.

SOG finally got around to upgrading that knife series in the past year.

(I have the clip point version of the original and it has rather bad side-to-side blade play.)

You might be able to find the original versions on sale somewhere at a very good price, since they are discontinued.

Or check out the upgraded version and see if you like it enough to get one of them.

I just learned the same. I need screws and washer for a arcitech. They told me the same thing.

I think it has to do with auto knives.

I have an old SOG 5th special forces bowie. I emailed them looking to buy a replacement sheath. They sent me one free of charge in the mail.

I had a Benchmade auto break a spring, and Benchmade basically told me to **** off. I had to have a friend in the military send it back, and he had to get a letter from his commanding officer to do that.

I sent a Benchmade CQC7 back, basically because I abused it. Used it as a throwing knife. They rebuilt it and sent it back to me no charge.

About 5 years ago they sent me a replacement thumb stud for an older SOG. I bought it NIB but it had no stud. The dealer had ruined the old plastic stud trying to make it lefty friendly. I was real happy with their service.

Maybe your spring has to be custom fit. $20 is not much money. I had a spring replaced in a lever lock auto by a cutler and it cost $50. Send it in.

I had to be insistent, but I got the spring. SOG made this process much more difficult than it should have been, and its safe to say I’m done buying their products.

I sent my SOG Dark Energy de-06 (flashlight) in because I dropped it and stopped working. They sent it back fixed for free. Same thing happened again, and I need to send it in again. Last night I did notice that there's a lifetime warranty for the de-06. Guess that's the difference? Anyway, I expect them to fix it and return it. We shall see.

Back