Sog Force or Cold Steel Recon 1

I'd like to upgrade to a bigger knife for outdoor use. I usually carry a Sog Pup (5" blade) .
These 2 caught my eye. I am a bit worried about the Recon 1 due to a few videos where the
Knife broke. What are your thoughts?

I'd like to upgrade to a bigger knife for outdoor use. I usually carry a Sog Pup (5" blade) .
These 2 caught my eye. I am a bit worried about the Recon 1 due to a few videos where the
You'd have to do something stupid to break a CS Recon1! I own 4 variants of them. If I were you I'd grab a carpenter steel model before they are all gone. If you don't care for it it'll be an easy sell here. That's my favorite EDC knife. Try it!

If you break a recon 1, you're doing something wrong, usually wrong tool for the job type stuff.

Not sure how you can be "undecided" between any 6" fixed blade and a 4" folder.

you talking recon 1 as in the folder with tri-ad lock....or recon scout as in 01 fixed blade?

Yeah, you're going to need to be more clear on what you are looking at.

I've always wanted a force as I have the bigger more tactical brother with the Seal Team/Knife. I have used that knife a lot and the handle pattern just works, same pattern as the force. I haven't used the cold steel fixed blade you might be talking about. I'd rather have the Force or the current Pup you have than the CS mostly because I know them to be very capable tools. That said, for outdoor use I'd go with an Esee 6 or something from BK in that price range.

If you are talking about a folder vs a big fixed blade, I don't know why.

From context , I assume you're talking fixed blades . I'd go with Cold Steel over SOG . The CS Recon Scout or Trail Master in 01 will be tougher than the SOG in AUS8 . You can break ANYthing . :eek:

Oooops! Yes I meant Recon Scout...the fixed blade. My bad.
I won't be doing anything harder than whittling or chopping up to a 2" thick stick.

Oooops! Yes I meant Recon Scout...the fixed blade. My bad.
I won't be doing anything harder than whittling or chopping up to a 2" thick stick.
;) So long as you get the real thing (beware the many clones and copies ) a Recon Scout in 01 (or the old Carbon V ) will deftly handle any wood chopping chore . Not the best to baton because of the guard .

I've chopped down medium sized hardwood trees with my 01 Trail Master with no damage to the blade . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I recommend the Recon Scout. The pictures you've seen are probably of older variations in Carbon V with square tang transitions. Some feel that Carbon V was a less resilient steel. Others feel that the breakage was due to the square tang transitions. Perhaps. Or perhaps the breakage was because the user attempted to baton the knife through a knotty 6" round of hickory in 5 degree weather, lol. :confused:

Regardless, the current Recon Scouts use O1 tool steel, are radiused at the tang transition, and seem to be getting good reports from the field. I had one in SK5 that was radiused at the tang transition, and it could take a beating. 2" thick sticks are well within the knife's capability.

;) So long as you get the real thing (beware the many clones and copies ) a Recon Scout in 01 (or the old Carbon V ) will deftly handle any wood chopping chore . Not the best to baton because of the guard .

I've chopped down medium sized hardwood trees with my 01 Trail Master with no damage to the blade . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

How do you know the difference between real and fake 01 Scout Recon. Logos or stamps give it away? I’m new here. Been a Spyderco and Benchmade folder and now looking into Fixed blades, particularly the Scout Recon and the Pendleton MiIni Hunter

How do you know the difference between real and fake 01 Scout Recon. Logos or stamps give it away? I’m new here. Been a Spyderco and Benchmade folder and now looking into Fixed blades, particularly the Scout Recon and the Pendleton MiIni Hunter
Best way is to buy from a trusted source , like Blade Forum sponsors . But right now is bad timing . The older Recon Scouts have been discontinued and are out of stock most places . The newest A2 steel models aren't yet in stock either . Probably gonna be a lot more expensive , also .

Back