SOG Instinct / CRKT Minimalist / ?

SOG Instinct/CRKT Minimalist/Other

• Total voters
Long time lurker, first time poster...I have been getting more interested in expanding my blade collection lately. I have recently picked up a Spyderco Tenacious for my wife and an Ontario Rat 1 for myself. We are very happy with both so far! I am interested in knives that are affordable and and have good reviews. I am now looking at picking up my first EDC fixed blade knife and have been looking at the SOG Instinct G10 and CRKT Minimalist.

I have never seen the SOG, but have seen the CRKT in a store and thought it looked interesting, but pretty tiny. Looking at the SOG online, I really like how the sheath appears to be adjustable for owb/iwb and both right and left handed...I just can’t find as many reliable reviews on it.

So, has anyone had experience with both? What are your thoughts? What other blades am I leaving out that I should look at in this price range?

Thanks!

Just came across the CRKT Spew in some more research tonight...looks really interesting and what I am looking for. So add that to any feedback you can give.

Welcome to the Forum. I had a minimalist for 6 hours. I was painting the exterior of a house, I lost it in the brush. It is a small knife, price was good but I've replaced it with a Bradford guardian.
It wasn't really practical for me at work. Small, light weight, easy to carry are the strong points.

The best part about the SPEW is the price. Steel is not great, easy to sharpen, but won't really hold a good edge for very long. If you're looking at it for real daily use, there are better choices, in my opinion. As a back-up tool or weapon, it's a great design, and light enough you'll actually carry it. I'd pay twice as much if they'd make it out of 440C or something similar, it would make an excellent box knife, instead of just an acceptable box knife. As it stands, I consider the SPEW to be expendable, sharpen it until you can't and buy another.

EDITED: It DOES make a good steak knife!

Last edited:
Cold Steel Mini Tac in various blade shapes fills the same niche . There are many more , from very cheap to quite pricey .

Mostly , this type knife is compact /concealable for self defense , backup; that thus normally sees very little actual use . So the quality of steel isn't too vital .

If you do need to use such a knife for routine cutting , utility chores , then I'd look for a higher end steel / HT .

Cold Steel Mini Tac in various blade shapes fills the same niche . There are many more , from very cheap to quite pricey .

Mostly , this type knife is compact /concealable for self defense , backup; that thus normally sees very little actual use . So the quality of steel isn't too vital .

If you do need to use such a knife for routine cutting , utility chores , then I'd look for a higher end steel / HT .

Good advice. The OP needs to give some thought to what he's going to be using his everday carry for and then pick a knife accordingly.

Of course, if he lives on the wrong side of town then maybe those he's looking at would be just fine:cool:.

Welcome to the forums Runt.

I voted Other. My suggestion for this price range. Cold Steel Pendleton Mini Hunter. About $35 and a better blade and handle shape imo.

Steel Will has some nice blades in D2 steel for $45 too if that is in your budget.

I have several of the Minimalists, and they are neat little tools. Super light and unobtrusive, with just enough blade to take care of a lot of little tasks or whittle something to kill time. I found the Wharncliffe blade to be the most useful, though the little Bowie blade is a close second. I don't really carry them much anymore, ever since I made a dangler sheath for a BK24 that makes it easy to carry and deploy. The Spew has a nice look, but the heat treat is apparently pretty hit or miss from what people say; if you get a good one you'll be happy, but you could get a piece of junk.

If I lost the BK24, I would replace it with a BK14 (I use the optional handle kit), but the Minimalist would go back on my belt in the meantime.

I have the minimalist bowie. It is small, but that's what I like about it, I don't even know I'm carrying it unlike most fixed blades. It functions fine for what it is. I find myself using it to whittle while walking the dog, and of course slaying cardboard. Don't remember the steel type, but hold a edge decently imo. Fun little knife, glad I bought it.20190215_161134-800x800.jpg

In this price range, I like a couple.

The A.G. Russell Skorpion Neck Knife is inexpensive, easy to carry and is configured nicely.

Cold Steel's Mini Tac fits the bill. I had the tanto version, and found it capable, tough, and easy to sharpen. As mentioned, their Pendleton Mini Hunter is in this price wheelhouse, and is decent.

If I were to pick one for myself in this price range, I'd pack the A.G. Russell Woodswalker. It comes with either a leather hip pocket sheath or kydex neck sheath, but you can order both as well. It's inexpensive enough to get it with both configurations.

OP here....should have pointed out that this would be for backup self defense, preferably on my weak (left) side option. Have the Rat 1 for normal edc. Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Last edited:
Back