SOG knives and fishing.

I am trying to get ready to do some spring fishing.

I'll be using my Hunter Revolver for cleaning fish soon. (I hope) :eek:

The gut hook makes an excellent zipper for the fish belly.........quick and easy.

And the saw will cut through the toughest back bone.

Anyone else use SOG knives for outdoor activities similar to this ? :D

Robbie Roberson.;)

oh yeah! Use the flash II for cuttin off them guitar pick sized scales off them redfish! good eatin!! I just wish they would bump up the minimum take home length!!!

I think the Field Pup or Seal Revolver would make a great fishing knives. My neighbor Carl is telling me all about his trips so I am going to have to get a Licence soon.

Robbie, if you catch any trout you're going to have to take pictures of it along with what ever knife you use (hunter revolver). ;)

Heber

Have fun.
I like clean cuts into fish. I can't see how that saw will make a clean cut.
Try a filet knife. For cutting steaks a chinese cleaver is best.

The gut hook makes an excellent zipper for the fish belly.........quick and easy.

Robbie Roberson.;)

Moodino, the saw on the Hunter Revolver cuts right through the head and spine of fish very well.

Maybe not quite as smooth but sure is fast...........:)

I sometimes just use the flat grind blade but other times when I already have the saw locked in I just use the saw.

I'm usually in a hurry so it works very well for this method.

Robbie Roberson. ;)

I'm a catch & release fisherman, so cleaning fish is NOT my priority. However, as a kayak, float tube, and wading fisherman, I'm much more concerned with having a safe way to cut cord/rope/line without puncturing anything important:rolleyes:. I love my Trident for EDC(suitably modded), but the "groove" just isn't big eough for my purposes.

I took a Flash II that seemingly had no purpose, clipped(with a pair of Linesmans pliers) about 3/8" off of the tip, took a diamond stone to it to square it up, and took the sharpness off of the front 3/4" behind the tip. Presto chango, a cool AO river safety knife.

If I can figure out the pic thing, I'll post one.

I used my SOG Flash II and seal pup to clean some fish last summer and will probably do the same this summer also. Sog are pretty versatile knives.

I just picked up a Utah fishing licence. Will be putting my Revolver in my fishing gear along with a folder. Can't wait to go fishing this weekend. :)

Heber

Heber, don't do it !

You'll just have to clean and then cook them fishies ! :p

Remember to get lemon juice..............

Robbie Roberson. :D

Heber, don't do it !

You'll just have to clean and then cook them fishies ! :p

Remember to get lemon juice..............

Robbie Roberson. :D

How's some fresh caught lake trout sound roasted over a fire with plenty of lemon pepper and fresh lemon juice? Maybe a a Fish McMuffin for breakfast out by the lake. As soon as I get my next unemployment insurence payment I'm going back to the store to get some fishing gear. Thinking about going down to Utah lake this weekend for some camping and fishing.

Heber

Moodino, the saw on the Hunter Revolver cuts right through the head and spine of fish very well.

Maybe not quite as smooth but sure is fast...........:)

I sometimes just use the flat grind blade but other times when I already have the saw locked in I just use the saw.

I'm usually in a hurry so it works very well for this method.

Robbie Roberson. ;)
What? Before whoever caught the fish figures out you're absconding with them?;)
I'd use mine, but it's all scratched up...
I need to get the hunter one.

Absconding..........departure from the norm ?

Yes....you need a Hunter Revolver soon..........:D

That scratched one could be worth it's weight in rice by now........:eek:

Robbie Roberson. ;)

One more day then I head out with my SOG revolver and EK Nightfighter for a weekend of camping and fishing at Utah lake.

So Rob, does this mean you have a Revolver? Pics man, we want Pics!!! My revolver got all scratched up when I loaned it out to a group of college students in a Wilderness Survival class. I don't even know what they used it for, but everyone said it worked great. LOL!!

Heber

Robbie Roberson.;)

For nearly ten years my SOG Bowie was my ONLY woods and river knife...no matter what the activity.

I've used this SOG Agency for the past 6 Months, no pics but I've cleaned several fish with it and a few Squirrels :D

003-19.jpg

I have a couple of the 5th Special Forces Bowies, and I love them dearly but I've been putting this Agency through its paces and I'm impressed with it.

Back