1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

SOG knives and fishing.

Discussion in 'SOG Specialty Knives' started by Robbie Roberson, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Robbie Roberson

Robbie Roberson

Dec 27, 2003
    I am trying to get ready to do some spring fishing.

I'll be using my Hunter Revolver for cleaning fish soon. (I hope) :eek:

The gut hook makes an excellent zipper for the fish belly.........quick and easy.

And the saw will cut through the toughest back bone.

Anyone else use SOG knives for outdoor activities similar to this ? :D

Robbie Roberson.;)

2. antixbush

antixbush Banned BANNED

Apr 5, 2008
    oh yeah! Use the flash II for cuttin off them guitar pick sized scales off them redfish! good eatin!! I just wish they would bump up the minimum take home length!!!

3. wildmanh

wildmanh Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker

Jul 9, 2000
    I think the Field Pup or Seal Revolver would make a great fishing knives. My neighbor Carl is telling me all about his trips so I am going to have to get a Licence soon.

Robbie, if you catch any trout you're going to have to take pictures of it along with what ever knife you use (hunter revolver). ;)

Heber

4. Moodino

Moodino

May 17, 2006
    Have fun.
    I like clean cuts into fish. I can't see how that saw will make a clean cut.
    Try a filet knife. For cutting steaks a chinese cleaver is best.

5. Robbie Roberson

Robbie Roberson

Dec 27, 2003
    Moodino, the saw on the Hunter Revolver cuts right through the head and spine of fish very well.

Maybe not quite as smooth but sure is fast...........:)

I sometimes just use the flat grind blade but other times when I already have the saw locked in I just use the saw.

I'm usually in a hurry so it works very well for this method.

Robbie Roberson. ;)

6. newtotheup

newtotheup

Dec 6, 2007
    I'm a catch & release fisherman, so cleaning fish is NOT my priority. However, as a kayak, float tube, and wading fisherman, I'm much more concerned with having a safe way to cut cord/rope/line without puncturing anything important:rolleyes:. I love my Trident for EDC(suitably modded), but the "groove" just isn't big eough for my purposes.

I took a Flash II that seemingly had no purpose, clipped(with a pair of Linesmans pliers) about 3/8" off of the tip, took a diamond stone to it to square it up, and took the sharpness off of the front 3/4" behind the tip. Presto chango, a cool AO river safety knife.

If I can figure out the pic thing, I'll post one.

7. dberry

dberry

Oct 16, 2007
    I used my SOG Flash II and seal pup to clean some fish last summer and will probably do the same this summer also. Sog are pretty versatile knives.

8. wildmanh

Jul 9, 2000
    I just picked up a Utah fishing licence. Will be putting my Revolver in my fishing gear along with a folder. Can't wait to go fishing this weekend. :)

Heber

9. Robbie Roberson

Robbie Roberson

Dec 27, 2003
    Heber, don't do it !

You'll just have to clean and then cook them fishies ! :p

Remember to get lemon juice..............

Robbie Roberson. :D

10. wildmanh

Jul 9, 2000
    How's some fresh caught lake trout sound roasted over a fire with plenty of lemon pepper and fresh lemon juice? Maybe a a Fish McMuffin for breakfast out by the lake. As soon as I get my next unemployment insurence payment I'm going back to the store to get some fishing gear. Thinking about going down to Utah lake this weekend for some camping and fishing.

Heber

11. Bobby B

Bobby B No more Mr. Knife-guy

May 18, 2001
    What? Before whoever caught the fish figures out you're absconding with them?;)
    I'd use mine, but it's all scratched up...
    I need to get the hunter one.

12. Robbie Roberson

Robbie Roberson

Dec 27, 2003
    Absconding..........departure from the norm ?

Yes....you need a Hunter Revolver soon..........:D

That scratched one could be worth it's weight in rice by now........:eek:

Robbie Roberson. ;)

13. wildmanh

Jul 9, 2000
    One more day then I head out with my SOG revolver and EK Nightfighter for a weekend of camping and fishing at Utah lake.

So Rob, does this mean you have a Revolver? Pics man, we want Pics!!! My revolver got all scratched up when I loaned it out to a group of college students in a Wilderness Survival class. I don't even know what they used it for, but everyone said it worked great. LOL!!

Heber

14. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    For nearly ten years my SOG Bowie was my ONLY woods and river knife...no matter what the activity.

15. Fletcher Knives

Fletcher Knives STEEL BREATHING BLADE MAESTRO Moderator

Aug 30, 2007
    I would hope so. lol

16. Robbie Roberson

Robbie Roberson

Dec 27, 2003
    Yes, I have a few of the original models but no Fusion model.

Robbie Roberson.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  17. JOHN O

JOHN O

Apr 15, 2009
    I've used this SOG Agency for the past 6 Months, no pics but I've cleaned several fish with it and a few Squirrels :D

[​IMG]

I have a couple of the 5th Special Forces Bowies, and I love them dearly but I've been putting this Agency through its paces and I'm impressed with it.