• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

SOG logo

KenHash

Gold Member
Does anyone know when SOG stopped using the square/rectangular logo on their blades
in favor of the current one?
I had thought that all older Seki Seal 2000s had the box logo but now I see that isn't the case.

I am a bit confused. When you say the current logo are we talking about the one in they switched to in the last couple years? The sort of digital looking one? That one would of course not be on any Seal 2000s. I guess this is why I am confused. Now, I do have two Seal 2000s with different logos. One minty with the knife bullet logo the other a user with the square logo. I would like to know which one is older.

20141019_174720.jpg

20141019_174754.jpg

I was referring to the SOG letters with the bullet knife, the one on top in your photo.
Is that one also a Seki model?
I am also trying to figure out when that SOG bullet logo was used as all my fixed blade
Sogs have the Box logo. But from what I can guess so far, the Box logo was the oldest
at least from 1990. Then the SOG with bullet. Then the digital SOG letters only.

Last edited:
Those are both Seki Seal 2000s, and as you can see with different logos. My Older SMCA Tiger sharks have yet a different logo (pictured). It would be nice to get a list of what logos where on what knives, when. I am sure one of the other Sekie SOG nuts will be along at some point to add info.

20140520_191038.jpg

I believe the first marking was just (SOG SPECIALTY KNIVES) in a straight line on the name side of the blade. Be careful assuming that a knife company would change stampings on all it's models at the same time. They seldom do that. Often some models change even years before the marks are changed on others. This even happened with companies that produced most or all of their knives in the same factory.

I believe the first marking was just (SOG SPECIALTY KNIVES) in a straight line on the name side of the blade. Be careful assuming that a knife company would change stampings on all it's models at the same time. They seldom do that. Often some models change even years before the marks are changed on others. This even happened with companies that produced most or all of their knives in the same factory.

Just to further the point of how confusing it can be to understand tang stamp chronology, the Midnight TigerShark in my picture above should not be stamped with SMCA! They didn't put out the Midnight Tiger until after they moved to Edmonds Washington. The folks at sogknivescollectors have told me this occurred because they had blades left over from the SMCA days and rather than scrap them they were used in the Midnight run. Confusing but sort of interesting I think.

Back