SOG Pentagon Folder--Trouble finding out materials or model ID

Jerickson

Gold Member
I know this isn't a sexy knife, but I've had it for probably over 20 years and can seem to uncover any info about the materials. I didn't know anything about knives back when I bought it.IMG_1059.jpegIMG_1060.jpegIMG_1064.jpegIMG_1063.jpegIMG_1061.jpeg

Made in Seki, Japan. Not a shabby place to make knives.
The Pentagon series sets the policy for action. Designed as backup for military and law enforcement, the Pentagon is the first multipurpose, double-edged knife of its kind.

Features:

• Spear point, partially serrated blade
  • VG-10 steel blade
  • Arc-Lock mechanism
  • Belt clip
  • GRN handle
  • Hardness: rc 59-60
  • Blade: 4"
  • Closed: 4.75"
  • Overall: 8.75"

I’m inclined to agree with you—just can’t find a model or serial number.

Unfortunately, no. Wish I did. My criteria for buying knives back then consisted only of, “does it look cool?” Haha.

I’m completely with you, lol. I bought my first Benchmade about 20 years ago, Skirmish, and don’t have the original box. It just looked cool and I think it was only $70 or so. Still have it, still love it.

Pretty much every site lists it as VG-10, except "OnlySOG", which says AUS-8 :

Name: Pentagon Elite
Model #: PE14-CP
Blade Shape: Spear Point
Edge Type: Partial Serrated
Overall Length: 8.75"
Blade Length: 4"
Blade Thickness: 0.14"
Box Included: N/A
Weight: 4.3 oz.
HRC: 59-60
Steel: AUS-8
Finish: Satin
Lock Type: Arc-Loc
Handle Material - Color: GRN - Black
Sheath Material: N/A
Country Manufactured: Seki Japan

SOG does have their own sub-forum here at Bladeforums in the "Manufacturers" section.

A SOG rep who has moderated that sub-forum (and perhaps still does) has repeatedly stated that Pentagon Elites made prior to 2008 are AUS-8, and those made 2008 or later are VG-10.

I concur, again, using 'only SOG' site (which matches your knife - SOG Pentagon Elite PE 14) shows that this is (most likely) AUS-8.

Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate it. I'm new to the forum and didn't realize there's a SOG forum. Based on when I acquired the knife, sounds like it's AUS-8.

The earliest Pentagon Elites were Aus8. I believe the logo became the "Bullet Spiltter" when SOG/G.Sakai went to VG10 on their arc-lock models .

The Pentagon Elite was the first one hand opener I ever bought. I was 17, 1996. It was a liner lock. The arc lock was not out yet.

Mine was ATS-34. I believe they switched to VG-10 around 2001.

What they have done to this series saddens me. Adding a flipper, etc. Wish they would bring back the classic design, but upgraded steel and a plain edge option.

The Pentagon Elite was the first one hand opener I ever bought. I was 17, 1996. It was a liner lock. The arc lock was not out yet.

Mine was ATS-34. I believe they switched to VG-10 around 2001.

What they have done to this series saddens me. Adding a flipper, etc. Wish they would bring back the classic design, but upgraded steel and a plain edge option.
As far as I am aware, the Pentagon was never offered in ATS-34. Only the Jet Edge and Vision were ATS-34. Both of these had the steel type
written on the blade.
The Pentagon was introduced in 1999 as a liner lock with 440c.
In 2001 it switched to Arc Lock in Aus8. Then to VG10 in 2008.

From the 1999 Catalog:
LrNpmb.jpg

Back