SOG Pillar S35VN

Just picked up this SOG Pillar from the post office customs detention centre.
Ordered early December from USA and used a 3rd party mail tracker to find out that it was being held pending payment of customs fees (20% of total value, including postage, so I ended up paying £33.50(about $45) for release).
Still cheaper than buying from the UK, go figure...

Anyway, pristine, sharp as heck and with the Kydex sheath and Tek Lok attachment requiring assembly (a nice touch I thought, allows you to configure to your own requirement from the off).

Just a lovely knife, very impressed with the ergonomics and the design.

If you've got one, post your pics up and lets see some appreciation for this USA made knife! I'd love to see a blackout version if anyone has pics.

Kv6QZF.jpg

Kv66vV.jpg

Kv6r3x.jpg
Kv6sTP.jpg

Ah hah! I got my picture to work! In line with what Wurger said, I love the Pillar. The quality is top notch. To me, it seems like a new primo version of a Seal Pup, but with an exposed full tang.

Ah hah! I got my picture to work! In line with what Wurger said, I love the Pillar. The quality is top notch. To me, it seems like a new primo version of a Seal Pup, but with an exposed full tang.
I like the direction they are going with the Pillar as a military knife and hunting knife (new blaze handled version).
I really think this could be a good multi-purpose, affordable high quality option fixed knife for SOG.

Designs like this make no sense to me. The guard looks small, and it looks like it would dig into your hand when stabbing. There's no destruction test. S35VN doesn't have destructive test videos, and is unproven. The choil looks dangerous.

I loved mine but hated the S35VN steel. It chipped easily and was too hard to bring to hair shaving sharpness with normal sharpening tools. If SOG would release a lowered priced version in their excellent AUS-8 I would buy two of them. AUS-8 is super tough and chip resistant and you can get it hair shaving sharp with just simple stones. The design and being made in the USA is excellent though. SOG, are you listening?

I loved mine but hated the S35VN steel. It chipped easily and was too hard to bring to hair shaving sharpness with normal sharpening tools. If SOG would release a lowered priced version in their excellent AUS-8 I would buy two of them. AUS-8 is super tough and chip resistant and you can get it hair shaving sharp with just simple stones. The design and being made in the USA is excellent though. SOG, are you listening?
I have one hasn't chipped....I can bring it back to sharp on a simple sharpmaker......the s30v had a bad reputation until the heat treat got sorted out to stop the chipping. I own many knives in s3(x)v and s45vn steels and haven't had problems.

I wouldn't mind seeing a version cheaper made in America or Taiwan with a different steel though to lower the cost. I like aus8 but other steels I wouldn't mind either. wouldn't be against that.

This knife intrigues me. Not a fan of tactical looking knives, but there’s something about this particular knife that screams “buy one, the wife’s gotta forgive you at some point!”

Back