SOG Powerplier/Powerlock -- Bite effect??

Midget

Gold Member
Hi, I'm sure you're all familiar with the "bite effect." It's like when you grip down hard onto your multitool handle and the edges bite down into your fingers and palm. It's my main quam with the older Leatherman models, and the primary reason why I went with a Gerber 400.

But my Gerber is on it's way back to Fiskars company for a rebuilt. In fact, this will be it's third trip back in 5 years (not too shabby...). Now I'm looking for something a little more sturdy.

I'm interested in the SOG lineup, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience? Do the handles bite??

Thanks.

The PowerLock has covers in place to eliminate bite, although many remove these (they snap on and off). This is a big tool, but comfortable to use.

The Powerplier has bite potential, but the gearing in the SOG tools seems to reduce the amount of pressure needed, thus reducing the bite.

The PowerLock, in my experience, doesn't have any 'bite' whatsoever.

As Aux stated, the PowerLock has covers over the exposed edge, eliminating the 'bite'. The covers can be somewhat of a pain, but it only slows down tool access just a bit.

The compound leverage makes a big difference IMHO, so less force is required to get the pliers themselves to bite down on a bolt, ect.

A very good tool, and one of my personal EDC's.

Forget the Power-Pliers, that dog will bite!

For plier comfort I have'nt found a better multi-tool than my Gerber Pro-Scout.
If you have really large hands (REALLY LARGE) then maybe the Gerber Legend is even better.

Happy hunting,
Allen.

The pliers on the Sog are the only thing on it I personnally like, I experienced no bite at all while using the pliers and I use my multi tools hard. The other tools on it are in my opinion very flimsy and dissapointing. You can actually flex the knife blade by hand, more than I consider acceptable. The screwdrivers are soft and twist very easy in comparison to the Supertool I had prior to buying the Sog. I finally had enough of the Sog after a year of use and replaced it with a Schrade.

Maybe I got a bad one as I am the only one in my shop that has ever had one, everyone else has Gerber or Leatherman products.

Back