SOG rebranding by consultancy

Came across this web page today, I'm not in any way associated with them. I'm putting this in GKD because part of the content on this link mentions how SOG's competitors were gaining marketshare from SOG and how knives are marketed in general:

"SOG’s competitors were investing heavily in clear and engaging brand stories, supported by high-quality packaging and associated collateral, underpinned by aspirational imagery and clear, powerful technical information. This not only motivated consumers to buy, but enabled them to understand (and believe in) the performance capabilities of their chosen purchase. Because of the impact this was creating at retail level, SOG’s competitors were stealing market share."

https://www.uniteddsn.com/sog

It's an interesting look into corporate rebranding. I'm rekindling an interest in SOG products, but their old fixed blades mostly. Scuba Demo, Tigershark, things like that. The Seki ones.

The rebranding of SOG seems to have happened at least a few years ago.

Came across this web page today, ...the content on this link mentions how SOG's competitors were gaining marketshare from SOG ...
"SOG’s competitors were investing heavily in clear and engaging brand stories, supported by high-quality packaging ...Because of the impact this was creating at retail level, SOG’s competitors were stealing market share."..

artificially created hype may for a period
stir intetest especially with social media.
but credible first hand word of mouth
does more to perpatuate brand loyalty.
in some cases fancy packaging can persuade some ignorant folks to buy.
but the consumer ends up paying more
for new packaging.
lmao "xxx's competitors were stealing market share". ???!
now that's a stretch :)

I like their fixed; SEAL Pup etc.
Folders, not so much. Looked good, but kinda cheap in the hand.
Multi-tools had some good designs.
I don't think just re-packaging and a new logo will help. They'll learn that once you get some kind of reputation good or bad, it stays with you a long time.
Nothing distinctive about their stuff; I'd dump the whole line and start over.

I lost interest in SOG many, many years ago. They just don't have much to offer for the knife knuts. Just another company relying on sales at brick and mortar stores to the unwitting and/or uncaring.

I’m a knife nut, and before we bought our house a few years ago we use to live a couple of blocks from the SOG factory and store in Lynnwood. I never stepped foot in there. I’ve had one of their SpecOps Elite Auto, and another folder many many years ago. The latter folder literally unscrewed itself and fell apart in my hand one day after use. Threw it away and never looked back. I hope they start making some better quality stuff, I don’t wish ill on them in anyway.

So after reading this thread I decided to look at some Sog knives. I bought two of their knives maybe 20 years ago. I still have one but it's never been a favorite. They seem to have really basic, uninspired products. I'm under the impression a lot of their products are made in China but I'm not curious enough to find out for sure because nothing they sell interests me. It seems like their target market is teenagers or people new to knives.

Also, I'm under the impression they took their name from MACV-SOG as an attempt to create a military reputation.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil...and,_Vietnam_–_Studies_and_Observations_Group

Last edited:
So after reading this thread I decided to look at some Sog knives. I bought two of their knives maybe 20 years ago. I still have one but it's never been a favorite. They seem to have really basic, uninspired products. I'm under the impression a lot of their products are made in China but I'm not curious enough to find out for sure because nothing they sell interests me. It seems like their target market is teenagers or people new to knives.

Also, I'm under the impression they took their name from MACV-SOG as an attempt to create a military reputation.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Assistance_Command,_Vietnam_–_Studies_and_Observations_Group

well according to wikipedia the original sog knife was in fact designed for people involved in the studies and observations group, so the brand is actually based on a real knife that was made for people involved in the vietnam war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOG_Knife

The early SOG knives were outstanding. In my late teens I lusted after the Bowie. The original SOG Tomcat was a stout as hell folder for it's day - I regret selling mine. I bought a SOG SEAL 2000 due to all the SEAL hype. It was a good knife, but bigger than I liked to carry. Knew a few guys in my unit that carried SOG SEAL Pups and liked them.

Early SOG knives were very good. To see what they are now is sad.

SOG has recently done a complete overhaul of their product line. Completely redesigned or discontinued a lot of old models. Especially folders.
Looks to me like they are the first company to really take the expired patent on the Axis lock mechanism and build their brand around it.
It seems most are built in either Taiwan or China. Nothing USA or Japan made from what I've seen.
The pricing seems ok at best.
I'm very "meh" about their offerings, but there is potential. Nothing right now really seems compelling enough to drop the coin for it though.
For me it's wait and see.

The rebranding of SOG seems to have happened at least a few years ago.

If this site is talking about a rebranding from a few years ago, it clearly didn't go well for them. They re-branded again this year, re-launching some of their more popular knives with better materials (on the surface at least, G10, D2 on the "budget" models, XHP on the higher end ones). Now they're printing "Studies and Observation Group" on the blades and they're leaning heavily on the XR lock. They seem to have removed most of the skulls and other tacticool stuff from the blades in the past year or two.

I don't actually own any SOG knives, but the past year's models have seemed (slightly) more practical and less tacticool, big-box store oriented. I might actually consider buying some of their XR lock models, but that's because of the new lock, and maybe because there's less skull logos printed on the blades.

i forgot to mention, i do actually have their Seal XR which is a very large USA made flipper, and i have to say the quality is excellent on the one i got. I also have one of their new made in taiwan tridents which i also felt was high quality. I think you guys should give some of the new stuff a chance if you like the look.

SOG-Seal-XR-Black-FRN-Black-BHQ-94737-jr-large.jpg

you would think that any 'marketing' vp or consultant would understand that when you compete with $5 mtech's on design & skulls & tacticool, that you also can only expect about that pricerange

I guess it took them quite a few years to realize it?

I wish them well.

If they can pull out of this slump, I hope they do.
Most of their products I find don’t meet my needs but I do own a couple.

It would be nice to see them back like they used to be.

I personally would like to see them bring back the AirSOG folder. Add a pocket clip this time. And, make it here in the US or Japan.

Back