SOG Seal 2000 sheath

Hello, I recently purchased a SOG Seal 2000 off the web. The knife is NIB with a SOG nylon sheath. Nice knife! I am really disappointed with the sheath though. Some of the snaps don't snap together and some snap together, but easily un-snap. Very easily....
I have two Seal Pups and think that the Kydex sheath that comes with the Pup is top notch! Has anyone else had issues with the Seal 2000 nylon sheath or had a similar experience? Can the sheath be returned to SOG and swapped for the kydex version? Thanks!

I think it is interesting that you say that you like the kydex sheaths that Sog produce.
My biggest complaint with Sog knives has always been the kydex sheaths that come with the knives, I normally have an aftermarket sheath made for my Sogs as the production ones are not great.
That said I do not have any nylon Sog sheaths either.

Originally posted by tiburon
Hello, I recently purchased a SOG Seal 2000 off the web. The knife is NIB with a SOG nylon sheath. Nice knife! I am really disappointed with the sheath though. Some of the snaps don't snap together and some snap together, but easily un-snap. Very easily....
I have two Seal Pups and think that the Kydex sheath that comes with the Pup is top notch! Has anyone else had issues with the Seal 2000 nylon sheath or had a similar experience? Can the sheath be returned to SOG and swapped for the kydex version? Thanks!
IIRC they had some 2 stage snaps... first was very easy to do (and undo) the second stage was sometimes REALLY tight...

I really LOVE my SOG knives but I think the kydex sheaths suck as they are only oriented for a military type application. OTOH, the nylon sheaths that I have for my Tech 1 and Government Agent are actually quite nice.

It would really be nice if SOG had a SOG-endorsed line of aftermarket kydex sheaths by a reputable maker. However, failing that, you can always get a reputable sheath maker to make you a nicer one.

I know this is an old post, but thought I'd give my two cents. I just bought a SEAL 2000. The sheath on mine is perfect. I think if you have trobule, just tell SOG. They'll prolly take care of it.

Rayn

I'll add 2 more cents.....

my SEAL 2000 was provided with the kydex sheath. The snaps didn't stay snapped so I just epoxied them closed forever, end of that problem. I know I could have tapped 'em a bit with a hammer, or perhaps squeezed 'em a bit with pliers, to tighten up the snap-action but I was too impatient and not in the mood to mess around.

my Tech II was provided with the nylon sheath. Snaps work just fine, no unsnap concerns. Plus I especially like this sheath because there are TWO retaining straps around the handle, and both snaps are very tight and very positive.
This would make a great sheath for the Recon Bowie !!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Carl

Originally posted by New Pig Hunter
I'll add 2 more cents.....

my SEAL 2000 was provided with the kydex sheath. The snaps didn't stay snapped so I just epoxied them closed forever, end of that problem. I know I could have tapped 'em a bit with a hammer, or perhaps squeezed 'em a bit with pliers, to tighten up the snap-action but I was too impatient and not in the mood to mess around.

my Tech II was provided with the nylon sheath. Snaps work just fine, no unsnap concerns. Plus I especially like this sheath because there are TWO retaining straps around the handle, and both snaps are very tight and very positive.
This would make a great sheath for the Recon Bowie !!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Carl

Carl, sounds like you should really get the RB then.;) he he he

I really like the SOG Nylon sheaths. My Governement came with a Nylon sheath and it is great. The Seal Pup Tactical Nylon sheath is also really good.

For me, all the Kydex sheaths have held my knife secure. The belt loop snaps were 2 stage at first but after snaping and un snapping them a bit, they are now working just fine. Still a little hard at times to snap, but they stay put really well.

When I want to lash my knife to my pack or leg, I use the Kydex sheaths. When I'm not doing that, I normally wear my knives in Nylon or or custom leather.:D

Doesn't the nylon sheaths that come with the older model 2000 Seal have a cardboard stiffener. Has anyone gotten it wet yet? I am curious to know what would happen. I too have a nylon sheath and am looking for an over-the-counter replacement.

Back