SOG slim jim issues

WE just got Zach's knife back yesterday and yes, there was an issue. We are looking in to how it got through QC and out in the world.

His knife was replaced and it should be in his hands today July 3rd.

Very cool. I'm waiting for Giovanni in the Warrantee dept to get back to me regarding what I should do. I'd rather deal with SOG than the point of sale seller. Maybe you can help expedite?

-Matt Miller

Pleased to say that I posted the issue on the 22nd of June and by July 3rd I have a new/repaired working slim jim - hats off to SOG. This knife is very cool now!

Zach's knife should not have gone out but sometimes items slip though. We discovered that this one had the spring incorrectly finished on the edge. This was causing the knife to not properly close completely.

How is the strength of that knife? It is so thin it looks like it might have strength issues. It obviously isn't a heavy-duty knife, but would you trust it with your life? I currently carry a Buck Bantam, and have SERIOUS doubts that it would hold up in a self-defense situation. I am trying to find a high-strength folder that I use in an EDC/tactical role, and the only one that I found at the moment (for a reasonable cost, under $100) is the CRKT Fire Spark.

This knife seems too good to be true. I was thinking about buying it today, and I said to myself, let me see what the BF community thinks first. Uh oh...they need to remove some bugs. :(I think I will pass for now. Thanks Zach and fellow BF members :thumbup:!

I have been wanting to get one of these for a few months now and I might have to pick on up soon. I am glad SOG was able to resolve the issues swiftly. It adds peace of mind for when I purchase mine [and if a problem arises].

It is a great little knife - would i trust my life to it? Probably not, although any blade is better than none and for what its even with the slim handle the traction on it is superb, excellent jimping etc. For an edc/pack knife it is pretty great for my uses which include mainly basic cutting tasks, opening packages etc. The blade came razor sharp and has held its edge pretty good thus far (been carrying it for a few weeks now). I also love how sog sets up their pocket clips so that this knife is truly a deep carry. I was on a business trip last week and actually carried this thing in my dress pants - the pocket clip is so minimal and the knife rides so deep that it blends right in.

I got a black one ordered from "thegoodguys" on eBay. Mine is working very good, only a minor scratch on the blades coating. Maybe Customs did that, doesn't bother me much. Great knife SOG!

Mine is still with the folks at SOG. I was told their repair guys can't find anything wrong with it, which blows my mind. I really don't understand how noone there sees a problem, all my other SOG spring assisted knives flick right open and lock open all with one thumb movement. This one does not lock open, it doesn't move the blade fast enough to pass the locking mechanism. I really hope they make things right soon, this is taking a while.

I love SOG folding knives but this one sounds like I should keep away from it, at least until they get it right.

I've been quite busy and havent been back to these forums since my post. Sounds like a few knives got through QC somehow. I've put my slimjim away because it cut me up pretty good. Even with the safety engaged it will come open in your pocket. Yikes! I will be sending an email to SOG.

I'm new to knives and one of the many I've bought recently is a SlimJim. I have a similar issue stated in the first post and to make it worse, the bade is so off-center that it lightly touches the side. I've emailed SOG CS for more than 2 weeks and they did not reply. Kinda disappointed because I really like the knife.

Hi everyone, new user here. I too was having problems opening the knife...until I watched the SOG video and realized I was opening it the wrong way. With the knife closed I was pushing the nub outwards to open the blade. The right way seems to be to push upwards to open the blade. Thumbs up rather than thumbs out.
Works great that way. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXU_tG0vA0Q

Hi everyone, new user here. I too was having problems opening the knife...until I watched the SOG video and realized I was opening it the wrong way. With the knife closed I was pushing the nub outwards to open the blade. The right way seems to be to push upwards to open the blade. Thumbs up rather than thumbs out.
Works great that way. Here is the link:

On mine, I also noticed that I have to be pressing the lock mechanism on the spine of the knife. (That part you have to squeeze too close the knife again). So I flick the knob upwards while squeezing the lock mechanism at the same time, and that seems to do the trick perfectly. It’s a little awkward at first but I got used to it pretty quickly. Hopefully this will help.

Back