SOG Terminus XR, XR LTE or alternatives

I like the profile/size of the Terminus along with the locking mechanism. I know that Benchmade with their Griptilian and Bugout did this mechanism first, but the handle appeals to me more on the Terminus. I would be looking mostly at the s35vn blade steel in the Terminus. At the price point (around 90 dollars), is the heat treat still of good quality in general, and the fact that it is Chinese?

The Spyderco Manix 2 have a similar locking mechanism it would appear, but the blade shape and slimmer lines of the SOG might be more of what I'm looking for.

I guess I'm asking if there are better alternatives to the Terminus with that particular locking mechanism and with the same blade profile/size, etc.

Also, would it be worth it to spring for the XR LTE over the XR? Sort of like the looks of the graphite blade and clip on the lte, but is it worth the extra 50 bucks or so? In any event, I have heard the jimping is pretty aggressive so would probably need to take a file to the rough edges and such, but from the reviews it looks like it is a solid enough piece.

Thanks.

Watching this.... I have been looking at these as well. I’ve been looking at the S35VN vs the LTE. Only reason I haven’t bought the S35VN is because I HATE that pocket clip. Only reason I haven’t bought the LTE is I don’t want to spend the extra $50 because of a pocket clip.

We have something in common. I bought the S35VN regular terminus XR. The LTE is a better knife using better materials but that essentially culminates in a lighter knife and that bit of weight saving turned out not to be enough for me to spend the extra cash. After getting the knife though I realized, like you, that I absolutely despise the regular XR pocket clip. Fortunately....I think that the mounting points are the same. I reached out to their customer service department for an LTE deep carry pocket clip and they responded to me this past friday that they would send out a new clip.

I will update you here when and if i get that clip and if it will actually work on the standard XR in S35vn. If it does work....a free pocket clip from their customer service department would be a real easy way to make the standard XR 90% of what the LTE is.

I will update you here when and if i get that clip and if it will actually work on the standard XR in S35vn. If it does work....a free pocket clip from their customer service department would be a real easy way to make the standard XR 90% of what the LTE is.

yes, please let me know

Yep, I reached out to you c7 in a previous post you'd had about the pocket clip. Please keep us both informed posting on this page.

Yep, I reached out to you c7 in a previous post you'd had about the pocket clip. Please keep us both informed posting on this page.
Will do. As stated on the other thread, this is not the first time I have asked their customer service for an LTE pocket clip. Im sure that they are dealing with logistical challenges like most people are right now but it remains to be seen if this time is the charm and one will actually turn up in the mail. I will update both threads if I get one in the coming weeks.

May I ask what the issue is with the standard pocket clip? I used to be a SOG fanboi, but haven't bought one since maybe 2009. This knife is interesting to me, both iterations. I may pick up an LTE just because of the weight savings.

May I ask what the issue is with the standard pocket clip? I used to be a SOG fanboi, but haven't bought one since maybe 2009. This knife is interesting to me, both iterations. I may pick up an LTE just because of the weight savings.
1. The branding. Its personal preference but id rather not have my knife screaming "THIS IS A SOG KNIFE" while carrying it.

2. The space underneath. Unlike the LTE clip which is a more traditional deep carry clip; the normal clip has very little space underneath it which makes carry with thicker pants incredibly frustrating to retrieve the blade and then put it back into your pocket.

3. The clip loops over in such a way that I have had instances where the pocket material actually wraps around to the butt of the knife and makes retrieval with one hand virtually impossible.

I think the regular Terminus XR is one of the more underrated folders on the market right now, particularly at that price point. After many years of avoiding SOG it convinced me to get a couple of their other products and I've been very pleasantly surprised by the quality exhibited. That said, the LTE seems like it's a bit overpriced in comparison. I haven't gotten to handle one yet, but I'm very skeptical that it's $50 better than the regular Terminus XR.

1. The branding. Its personal preference but id rather not have my knife screaming "THIS IS A SOG KNIFE" while carrying it.

2. The space underneath. Unlike the LTE clip which is a more traditional deep carry clip; the normal clip has very little space underneath it which makes carry with thicker pants incredibly frustrating to retrieve the blade and then put it back into your pocket.

3. The clip loops over in such a way that I have had instances where the pocket material actually wraps around to the butt of the knife and makes retrieval with one hand virtually impossible.

Thanks. I've never been one for lots of branding on a knife. I've replaced most of the clips on my knives with MXG deep carry partially for this reason.

I think the regular Terminus XR is one of the more underrated folders on the market right now, particularly at that price point. After many years of avoiding SOG it convinced me to get a couple of their other products and I've been very pleasantly surprised by the quality exhibited. That said, the LTE seems like it's a bit overpriced in comparison. I haven't gotten to handle one yet, but I'm very skeptical that it's $50 better than the regular Terminus XR.

Its probably not $50 better which is why I got the standard. It is a better knife though I just don't think removing the liners and the weight that comes with is worth half a bill. I got the regular with the same blade steel (S35vn) the same blade thickness, the same scales, and hopefully soon to have the same clip.

Trying not to steer this topic but I’d like to know, have any of you have tried their CTS XHP models? I’ve been eyeing some of the newer SOG folders and if the steel performs well and the lockup is tight then I’m down.

Alright: clip came in today and I went to put it on and I have to say, this completes the knife. I was correct that the mounting position is in fact the same and the only required hardware was the clip itself and a screw that SOG sent with the replacement clip.

excellent!!! Thanks for the update. I will get one of these on order.

Hesstimation, I probably will order the Terminus sometime pretty quick too. Probably will be the SOG website. There's a coupon code for 10% off but I don't know if Im permitted to post that info on here.

The LTE is awesome and if you order from the website they still might have the brass one available. They patina real nice

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the fidget factor of the SOG Terminus XR. On the flippy side it's a bit like having a 0.25 of a balisong knife.

May I ask where you got that clip for the Terminus XR LTE? Thanks!
So that is the original SOG Terminus XR not the LTE version. The LTE version comes with the clip that you see there so I just reached out to SOG for the LTE version clip instead of the regular one.

Back