SOG Trident Elite Clip Point worth it?

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of buying the SOG Trident Elite Clip Point from amazon.ca for 68.75$, but is the quality of the knife worth it? I heard the rescue cutter function doesn't work that great, but it doesn't bother me. What actually bothers me is the quality of the glass breaker. I have read no where about its material and if it is reliable, because one of the reason why I looking for the Trident Elite is due to its glass breaker function. Although, I can live without it on my knife and get one on the side like the ResQme tool.

So if end up getting something like the ResQme tool, I'll probably buy the Spyderco Tenacious. Also, any thoughts on the edge retention? I heard some people had the knife open on the involuntarily.

If you guys have any other suggestions, I'm open to it. I'm looking for a versatile, jack of all trade, plain edge folding knife from the reputable brands (Spyderco, Benchmade, Buck, SOG, etc.) with a 3 to 4" blade with a clip, drop or even the infamous tanto point that totally fits the versatile profile. Also, one that is lighter than 5 oz, around 70$ or less. Possibly with a glass breaker and with g-10 handle, if not, I'll still be able to live. Oh, and of course, a pocket clip. I currently have a CRKT lake 111-z and am looking to upgrade. So if the knife is made in USA with some good tier steel, perfect.

Thanks, KP.

The Trident elite would not be worth it to me at that price. The biggest problem for me would be the inherent blade play with most SOG folders with SAT technology. Also the design is a turn off for me and the cut out in the blade is a gimmick IMO.

If you guys have any other suggestions, I'm open to it. I'm looking for a versatile, jack of all trade, plain edge folding knife from the reputable brands (Spyderco, Benchmade, Buck, SOG, etc.) with a 3 to 4" blade with a clip, drop or even the infamous tanto point that totally fits the versatile profile. Also, one that is lighter than 5 oz, around 70$ or less. Possibly with a glass breaker and with g-10 handle, if not, I'll still be able to live. Oh, and of course, a pocket clip. I currently have a CRKT lake 111-z and am looking to upgrade. So if the knife is made in USA with some good tier steel, perfect.

You won't find anything from SOG that is made in the USA. Some of their stuff is assembled here. To tick all your boxes except the glass breaker, one of the USA made kershaws is what comes to mind. I like the Piston but the knock out is also good. Then there is the classic Blur. Take a look here: http://www2.knifecenter.com/kc_new/...folder&eqCOUNTRYORIGINdatarq=usa&cat=ks&&&s=1

If you want a SOG, their Seki made folders in VG-10 are a huge step above their SAT folders (trident, flash II, etc...). They are more expensive though but worth the Price IMO.

Craytab is right on. Avoid the lower priced SOGs with SAT. I bought and returned a Trident for unacceptable bladeplay.
I have two Kershaw Blurs which I consider one of the best models in that price range. The Piston actually opens much more
slowly than the Blur, possibly due to the blade size. If you like the design, I would look hard at the Spyderco Delica 4.
They are made in the same Seki factory as SPG's higher end folders.

Yup, the Spyderco Delica and Endura 4s are very nice as well. I think everyone should own at least one. Also in your budget range.

The Trident elite would not be worth it to me at that price. The biggest problem for me would be the inherent blade play with most SOG folders with SAT technology. Also the design is a turn off for me and the cut out in the blade is a gimmick IMO.

You won't find anything from SOG that is made in the USA. Some of their stuff is assembled here. To tick all your boxes except the glass breaker, one of the USA made kershaws is what comes to mind. I like the Piston but the knock out is also good. Then there is the classic Blur. Take a look here: http://www2.knifecenter.com/kc_new/...folder&eqCOUNTRYORIGINdatarq=usa&cat=ks&&&s=1

If you want a SOG, their Seki made folders in VG-10 are a huge step above their SAT folders (trident, flash II, etc...). They are more expensive though but worth the Price IMO.

The Blur and Piston are pretty nice, but unfortunately they are a bit out of my price range due to exchange rate and taxes. Thanks!

Craytab is right on. Avoid the lower priced SOGs with SAT. I bought and returned a Trident for unacceptable bladeplay.
I have two Kershaw Blurs which I consider one of the best models in that price range. The Piston actually opens much more
slowly than the Blur, possibly due to the blade size. If you like the design, I would look hard at the Spyderco Delica 4.
They are made in the same Seki factory as SPG's higher end folders.
Alright, I'll keep that in mind considering SOGs then. Thanks!

I have a trident elite folder with the clip point more like a drop point and serrations and its 2 years old carried offen and maybe I got a peace but almost zero blade play its not noticeable unless you really try and its a very great desfor practical use so in my opinion its blade locks very tight I have had 3 kershaw blurs love them also and bought one for a ex why so many where I worked I left knives in my work pants which where laundered through a service and I lost one straight out but yes the trident elite i have opens fast very strong especially for blade weight its not a tanto its a heavy blade and it kicks open with no wrist snap or assist from me besides the obvious pressure to activate the opening on the stud it kicks if held gently so either I have the best one made or tgere good im also a knife obsessive guy

Back