SOG XR Lock spring replacement?

Hey BF,

I bought a SOG Terminus XR 3 weeks ago and I think it is a great knife. However, one of the "omega?" springs broke and they don't ship internal parts. Anybody know how I could replace one of these springs? I live in Canada, so sending my knife for warranty most likely it will be get seized so that really isn't an option.

- Gideons

Last edited:
Hey BF,

I bought a SOG Terminus XR 3 weeks ago and I think it is a great knife. However, one of the "omega?" springs broke and they don't ship internal parts. Anybody know how I could replace one of these springs? My Spyderco Domino has been sitting in a draw for over a year due to not being able to get replacement parts, I hope the terminus doesn't join it...

- Gideons

If it's only been 3 weeks, couldn't you send it in under warranty?

Even if that website doesn't back what they sell, I don't see why you can't send it in directly to SOG under warranty.
Yes, SOG would replace the spring if I were able to send it in. However, I live in Canada and due to 2018 importing policies that isn't feasible. I've already had one knife seized and destroyed by the CBSA so far. If you're unfamiliar with the what happened: https://knifenews.com/canada-border-services-agency-seizing-one-handed-opening-pocket-knives/

Shipping a knife to warranty from Canada is highly risky since it went through customs twice. Depending on your luck and the agent interpretation of the knife itself, i'd say it's like playing russian roulette. But, since the knife isn't that expensive, you can probably risk it. Either way if it gets seized and/or you cannot find the spring you're looking for, i think, you better off rebuying it again, since it served you well already.

Edit: Oops, i got mixed up with this thread https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/third-party-sog-xr-lock-spring-for-sale.1753423/. Didn't mean to necro.

Last edited:
I don't mean to resurrect anold thread, but some people in the BM section have tried making the springs from piano wire.

Or try Ebay for Benchmade "Omega" springs. They should fit your SOG...

Or try Ebay for Benchmade "Omega" springs. They should fit your SOG...
The springs are actually different. Here is an old picture comparing the Omega Spring in a bug out vs the XR Lock spring.
a057b76902571c7bd2277d93e7bb6f85.png

Hey BF,

I bought a SOG Terminus XR 3 weeks ago and I think it is a great knife. However, one of the "omega?" springs broke and they don't ship internal parts. Anybody know how I could replace one of these springs? I live in Canada, so sending my knife for warranty most likely it will be get seized so that really isn't an option.

- Gideons
Hey mate,
Just had the same issue. Bought the Red G10 Terminus XR knife in D2 2.5 weeks ago and loved it so much I ordered the S35V steel and Carbon version, the 2 days later BOTH springs have broken! That's some crap quality control.
Did you end up finding a solution to getting new springs?
Any help appreciated mate. I'm in Perth, Australia, so could have similar issues sending for warranty through our Aussie Customs, plus shipping is crazy expensive to the USA.
Cheers mate.
Joel

That plain sucks with a knife that new! You should certainly have some recourse but sounds bad. What kind of crap law is that up there. Worried about a lousy knife? Gov't going too far with ridiculous laws.

can a local dealer get springs from sog or least send in for warranty and get back for y'all?

I had the exact same issue with mine but I managed to DIY fix it with some 0.4mm piano wire and hand tools, there's a tiny tiny bit of up and down blade play probably because I didn't bend the wires perfectly but otherwise it works as it should
I tried 0.5mm piano wire at first but I had no luck with it, was just too difficult to properly finangle into the lock-bar

^^^Yup, I'm afraid that the safest recourse is to make your own omega springs. So far, I have been able to get replacement springs from Benchmade (however, that could change at any time) but have made my own springs as well. I found that even though my homemade ones were a little crude looking, they worked just fine.

Looking at the SOG springs, they look like they actually may be a little easier to shape.

Back