SOG's Warrenty is the Worse

Over a month ago I bought a Visionary 1. When it came home I opened the box and liked the design and the way it looked. When I started opening & closing the blade a few times I heard the blade hitting something. Sure enough it was hitting the backspacer when it closed. It was'nt just tapping it. the blade put an almost 1" cut in the spacer. I also noticed the screws were getting loose after about a dozen openings. It kinda surprised me how small the pivot and stop pin screws were on the folder. They were the size of screws that are usually used for the clip part of the folder. But with some locktite I could deal with that. I called the lady at SOG's warentry dept. and she told me to write everything down and send it in.
A month later I got it back. I had that new knife feeling when I opened the box. I was surprised to see the blade was still hitting the backspacer and the spacer still had the cut in it where the blade was closing. Just to double check I pinched the point of the blade and tried to move it side to side. I felt and heard that knurling sound that the edge of the blade made scraping on the backspacer.
I called SOG's warrenty dept again and I think I got the same woman. I told her the folder was the same way. Its still hitting the backspacer and I could hear it hitting. I said I did'nt think anyone even tried to fix it cause the tag SOG tied on the blade said," Loc-tite all screws & check if blade is damaging handle", th other side said,"Loctite & lube". The lady said there is nothing wrong with the folder, there is supposed to be a cut in the backspacers. I told her I have over a 100 factory & custom folders and NONE of them hit the backspacer. She told me this is the way SOG does it. I said this is a $140 folder and it should'nt hit the spacer. She insisted it is made right.
I told her that I would post some pictures on the blade forums of the knife and see if people think this is the way an SOG folder should be. She said are you threatening me? I asked her why should you feel threatened by me posting pictures on blade forums. She did'nt answer.
I will post the pic's shortly.
BTW this is only the second time I ever returned a knife.

IMG_2402.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_2406.jpg
[/IMG]
I know the pictures are'nt that good. I'm not experienced in taking pic's. The area in the backspacer is har to get in the light.

That's ridiculous. I'd like to see an official SOG response in this thread to find out if this knife is truly up to spec.

That really sucks. I no longer buy anything but Emerson & Strider folders, everything else failed me. Sogs arent very good IMO.

The funny thing is I cant see why people buy a cheep knife. To me if I have a knife I use it, alot. That will tell you fast wether its good or not. Do people just not use most knives? People say benchmades are good, the axis lock on my HK benchmade loosened really bad within days, it also had alot of blade play.

That really sucks. I no longer buy anything but Emerson & Strider folders, everything else failed me. Sogs arent very good IMO.

The funny thing is I cant see why people buy a cheep knife. To me if I have a knife I use it, alot. That will tell you fast wether its good or not. Do people just not use most knives? People say benchmades are good, the axis lock on my HK benchmade loosened really bad within days, it also had alot of blade play.

Bencmade knives are very good... yours was a dud. Every good company has a dud now and then.. I never really was a fan of Sog. But they do make some nice knives. Not really for me.. But nice none the less..
I would say my favorite Benchmade axis lock is the HK 14205 or 14200.. Very well built.
Regardless you will like whatever is in your pocket..

That being said..
There is no excuse for the blade hitting the backspacer.. I would not be happy with that.. Any other company would consider that a flaw.

I did'nt think SOG made cheap knives. Except for the very small pivot screws and the big problem with the blade hitting the backspacer, I thought the Visionary had good materials,( V-10 blade and liners in the handle). What made me even more mad than the defective folder was the total lack of knowledge and caring of the lady in the Warrety dept. I will NOT buy another SOG knife. If SOG will not back up a retail $140 folder, it says a lot about the company.

Hey,

I can attest to this backspacer problem...i have a visionary 1 and mine does the same thing...i never called sog beacuse in the past i owned an Xray mini and it did the same thing...

I have come to accept the fact that SOG's are not that great...they are good but not great, i find myself drifting to other manufactures now...for instance for the price of a visionary i can get a benchmade with tolerances that are not messed up.

Seriously lets face it, hitting the backspacer is weak...but i think it was just how it was designed since i have had 2 models where this has happened.

PS. keep up posted with the on going communication..maybe if they rectify yours ill send mine in...i just dont think its isolated to just one or two knives.

I'd say there's a problem with the blade hitting the backspacer. I don't have a Visionary, but I have a Night Vision (same handle design) and the blade doesn't hit anything. It looks like the arc lock mechanism is what keeps the blade from closing too far. Hopefully Chris will chime in here and help you out. I have yet to see a problem on here that hasn't been nicely resolved with Chris. Good Luck.

This thread was started a couple days ago - My question is why has Chris, or any SOG rep/moderator not stepped in here with so much as ackowledgement? That speaks volumes in and of itself. For example, just compare to some other manufacturer forums here. SOG is lagging behind and I hate to watch it happen 'cuz I love SOG. They need help.

Attn.
Mr. Spencer Frazer

I need a job. I feel I could be an asset to your company. Relocation, of course, may be required but I am willing to eat that expense in order to help your company reach it's customer base better. I'm retired military so no need to supply me with any medical benefits.

Sincerely,

"wannabe knife industry dude"

BTW, I am serious and I too have my grumbles with SOG CS also. But I see no need in airing that in this thread. Call me Mr Frazer.

Gibby

The reason that I have not responded or stepped in is that I was out of country at a trade show for the past week.

Gibby, we are not currently looking to hire any one, so a job at SOG is not very likely right now. Also, I am not sure what skills you have or what type of job you would be looking for. If you want you can email over a resume and should you be a match for some future opening we will let you know.

Yes, that is an unacceptable repair for the knife. It should not be hitting the back spacer and it should have been repaired properly when he sent the knife in. I can not speak for the people involved but it must have been an oversight or someone was having a bad day. Yes, everyone that works here is human and sometimes may make a mistake. I will discuss this with warranty and engineering and see find out what I can about the situation.

On March 3,2009 I ordered an SOG access Card (SOGAC77) With the black finish. The design is good and the weight is very nice. BUT, when I cut two small cardboard boxes the nice black coating wore off the tip and the whole blade was scratched to the point I sent in back to SOG warranty. This was on 3-13-2009. Then the fun began. I received a call from SOG warranty and spoke to a rude and exasperating woman who knows nothing of cutlery. In my letter accompaning the knife I stated I had owned the knife for seven days and after using I had used a Spyderco ceramic tri-angle rod to touch up the blade as it was quite dull. The nice lady told me I had owned the knife much longer than seven days and had used it much more than to cut two boxes and since I had used a ceramic thing it voided the warranty. I stated she should look at the date on the enclosed invoice and if she could add she would find out my ownership claim was accurate and the ceramic was used on the cutting edge only. She stated she DID NOT BELIEVE ME AT ALL. I ended the call with profanities and hung up. I sent a nasty e-mail and called SOG to speak to a manager. He was pleasant & said he would look in to it. His e-mail reply stated he did "heavy cutting tests"with the knife but didn't damage the coating during his "heavy test". I happen to have been born at night but it wasn't last night. This was like being called a liar by the second Sog employee.
I will never allow another SOG piece of shit product in my home again. When he sends me the new AC77 i will give it to me son who will abuse it and lose it. A fitting end since I can't FLUSH it like it deserves.
BEWARE THIS COMPANY!!!
Enjoy your SOG knives
blademan11
I hear ya blademan11. I know just how you feel about the ,"rude", woman.
I have yet to hear a thing from Chris@sog or anyone else from their warrenty dept. This is just one of the reasons SOG is not in the same league as Spyderco, Kershaw, or Benchmade,etc.:thumbdn:

I was going to buy a SOG Elite on pay day to add to my collection, but I will now wait until I see something from SOG that deals with the issues beyond words and also whether 'that rude woman' is replaced. Does SOG know how many people read these posts? and thank you ALL for bringing this to everyone's attention.

Back