SOG's Warrenty is the Worse

I have a Visionary I as well. I didn't notice the backspacer until I read this thread. Then I took out my Visionary and inspected. Sure enough, there is a small cut o nthe backspacer. It's not as bad as yours, maybe because I usually use thumbstuds for opening and closing, instead of flicking, but it's definitely there. There's also a tiny bit of up and down blade play. Not enough to hinder use, but annoying nonetheless.

I sent a SOG in to the warranty department once. It came back with a note that said, "your problem doesn't exist, but I did sharpen your knife for you while it was here".
The guy, I swear, took 3/8" off the tip of the knife.

I sent a Leatherman in once. I got a new Leatherman in the mail.
I sent an Emerson in once. I got a new Emerson in the mail.
I sent a Benchmade in once. I got a new.........well, you get the idea.

I've got a Vulcan which hits the back spacer too (but only if the Arc Lock is pulled back), I assumed this was just a design oversight, rather than a manufacturing defect. Kind of annoying, but I really like the Vulcan, other than that.

i was hoping to expand my SOG knife base with a folder or two to go with my Tech Bowie and SOG Fusion Tomahawk. at this point i have desided to move to other companies. its a damn shame because i have always liked the military history and heritage that they had. i will keep an eye on the forum to see if things improve.

------ Eric

I do not see a point in not considering a company based one a few bad opinions and experiences. Out of the hundreds or thousands of sogs sold I dont think all have had bad experiences. I had a couple bad experiences with Surefire customer service and faulty products more than once but I still have not gave up totally.

Its been 11 days since Chris posted that he would look into it - that's about 8 or 9 working days to accomplish any/all of the following;

- Find out who took the initial Call from ROBB - have a Mgr ask that Rep why she responded with false info by saying that the problem with the Visionary was the way it was designed

- Address the issues expressed by ROBB with the Warranty Dept / Cust Service Mgr.

- Explore possible permanent resolutions (such as retraining, call review by a Cust Serv Mgr to insure proper procedure, secondary approval by a Warranty Dept Mgr before returning a "fixed" knife, etc.)

- Have someone in QC/Engineering pull and inspect recent Visionary models and check for the same issue

- Have someone else in QC/Engineering pull samples of older retained samples of both the X-Ray Mini and Visionary models to see if they are within tolerances as outlined on the Specs/Drawings

- Alert the Manuf personnel and Foreman to this issue on different Models

- Respond to ROBB with an explanation and solution.

Last edited:
I have a lot of knives. I don't own any SOG's. It's because of threads like this....
Nice looking knives tho'.....

I may be the black sheep here, but i have had nothing but good service from SOG. I sent in an OLD PowerPlier that i broke and they replaced the head for free and polished the whole thing. I was not home when UPS came calling and it got sent back to the USA. I offered to pay for shipping back to Canada and SOG shipped it free again.

I emailed about a new spring for my Flash2, SOG sent TWO new springs .

In the OP's case I seriously think a SOG tech was having a sh***y day and dropped the ball....i dunno, i could be wrong.

I do think though that if there is a problem, go to the DEALER first, and if that does not work, then contact SOG directly, as that is the fastest route.

Its been 11 days since Chris posted that he would look into it - that's about 8 or 9 working days to accomplish any/all of the following;

- Find out who took the initial Call from ROBB - have a Mgr ask that Rep why she responded with false info by saying that the problem with the Visionary was the way it was designed

- Address the issues expressed by ROBB with the Warranty Dept / Cust Service Mgr.

- Explore possible permanent resolutions (such as retraining, call review by a Cust Serv Mgr to insure proper procedure, secondary approval by a Warranty Dept Mgr before returning a "fixed" knife, etc.)

- Have someone in QC/Engineering pull and inspect recent Visionary models and check for the same issue

- Have someone else in QC/Engineering pull samples of older retained samples of both the X-Ray Mini and Visionary models to see if they are within tolerances as outlined on the Specs/Drawings

Thank you Hillbillenigma , I totally agree. I e-mailed Chris@sog quite a while ago- still no answer. He said on this thread there was a problem but as far as I'm concerned he left it at that.

I may be the black sheep here, but i have had nothing but good service from SOG.

You're not alone, Bushman5.

Within the last year, I e-mailed SOG about an original-design Paratool that refused to take an adjustment. I got a quick reply and, within ten days after sending it back for an official look-see, I had a brand-new, redesigned Paratool in my hands -- including the optional saw blade I'd added to my original.

No complaints here. :thumbup:

This is interesting.
I became a SOG collector because of excellent customer service, and over the years that has been the case.
From the other side I have heard stories about what gets sent as warranty.
This sounds pretty straightforward, I am curious to hear the reply a well.

Thank you Hillbillenigma , I totally agree. I e-mailed Chris@sog quite a while ago- still no answer. He said on this thread there was a problem but as far as I'm concerned he left it at that.

Robb

I have not responded to your email because I did not receive one. It must have gotten caught in our spam filter here. Yes, I know lame excuse but it is the truth and I do get an excessive amount of spam. More so than anyone else here in the office. I am going to send ROBB a PM right after posting this.

Yes, I had left it at that I acknowledged that there was an issue. I pulled my personal Visionary I out and it has a similar mark in the liner of the handle. Although it is smaller than ROBB's. I have checked with Engineering and checked the stock we have on hand here. The ones I checked in stock did not hit the back spacer. I am guessing the one that ROBB has, like mine is from the early production. The issue was addressed a while ago and changes have been made.

As for the CS issue. We are working on this and addressing other issues with this. I am checking in with them and making sure that customers are handled with respect and warranty issues are handled properly.

I think that cover most of the issues. Yes, it did take me a a little while to get this posted but I was out sick and there were other issues that arose that ended up taking precedence over this.

Thanks and if there are other issues please let us know.

A few days after buying the SOG Aegis I noticed an annoying amount of blade play (side to side / up and down). After a few weeks the torx screw had been almost fully stripped from my constant ( and careful) adjustments. I sent it to SOG with a detailed and polite letter stating my reasons for sending it back to them.

A few weeks later I received it back and upon opening the box found the knife in exactly the same condition and a note stating that everything was fine (I think it said something like "sharp, secure and safe"). I was not pleased.

I ended up giving it to a friend (who knows zilch about knives) as a gift and he loved it.

Moral of the story is, if you don't like something give it to someone who will. Oh, that and SOG's repair service is abysmal.

That is disappointing. 2nd case of "returning to sender in original condition". SOG should look into what is happening to the 'excellent lifetime warranty' that it has.

OCPwnage, I suggest you give the warranty dept a call or at least email them next time to discuss the issue before you send it in. Also, say you're a bladeforums member! :p

OCPwnage, I suggest you give the warranty dept a call or at least email them next time to discuss the issue before you send it in.

There won't be a next time, but when I sent SOG my Aegis I called first (I had a few questions regarding the shipping). I'm actually pretty sure I got the same "mystery woman" others here have mentioned. While she did seem a bit frank, she was never outright insulting. At the very least she was helpful enough to answer all my questions and concerns.

Also, say you're a bladeforums member! :p

I'll remember to, now that I am :cool:

Last edited:
Robb

I have not responded to your email because I did not receive one. It must have gotten caught in our spam filter here. Yes, I know lame excuse but it is the truth and I do get an excessive amount of spam. More so than anyone else here in the office. I am going to send ROBB a PM right after posting this.
Chris@SOG it has been 3 days since you posted. I have NOT received any messege from you or anyone at SOG. I have checked my personel messeges and Blade Forum messeges-Nothing. I will not post about this anymore. I will not buy anymore SOG products. As far as I'm concerned my original title about SOG Warrenty is correct :barf:.

Robb

Just sent a message through the forums here. That is the only why i have to get in touch with you. You might want to check spam folder. I'll try one more time just in case.

Back