• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

SOLD - Big Brown Barong Seax Chopper

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Good evening Bladeforums friends. This evening I have another large seax chopper for you with a barong inspired handle shape. The longer counter balancing handle enables this large chopping knife to handle with the agility of a smaller knife when using the forward grip position, as well as be used for a variety of tasks, including some smaller knife tasks such as carving. And of course the rear grip position is going to give you huge power in the chop.

Specs:

Steel: 1084
Hardness: RC 59-60
Stock Thickness: 1/4"

Overall Length: 20 1/2"
Cutting Edge: 12 1/2"

Grind: Full height convex

Weight: 2lb 1.7 oz

Handle: Black paper Micarta, brown G10, black canvas Micarta, Carbon fiber tubes and pins

Sheath: Choice of black, or brown Kydex, or Black Boltaron

Asking SOLD

Price is via PayPal G&S (I will provide the email address in private messaging) and includes expedited shipping with full tracking and insurance.

First "I'll take it" gets priority. Upon payment, please also confirm your shipping address.

Thank you for looking!

IMG_7606.JPG
IMG_7603.JPG
IMG_7605.JPG
IMG_7604.JPG
IMG_7607.JPG
IMG_7608.JPG
IMG_7609.JPG
IMG_7610.JPG

Last edited:
I have one of these and it really does the job. Mine has been used primarily on clearing green brush and small trees, cutting palm fronds, and whacking large vines (Woods of Florida) in places where it's hard to use power tools. Can't say how it will hold up chopping hardwoods or large stuff but it glides through vines and palm fronds. With pretty heavy use I had virtually no edge damage though it showed signs of rust on the edge the next day. Good to clean after use. The edge David puts on this large blade is extremely well done. I believe I could shave with mine but wouldn't try it. ;) No Gator Dundee here. This is a serious cutting tool.

Hey TDOG1, thanks for the endorsement!

Can't say how it will hold up chopping hardwoods or large stuff but it glides through vines and palm fronds.

I ground yours pretty thin, about .020" behind the edge, if I recall, and had it tempered at 450°. So super hard chopping into hard wood will risk rolling unless your technique and edge alignment is immaculate. This one is tempered at 425°, and will also have a more traditional chopper thickness behind the edge, for serious hard use.

Thanks MChief, I'm truly honoured, and glad to hear you're enjoying the first one I sent you. :)

Back