• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

SOLD - Sawmill steel SD knife

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
One of my much earlier pieces, I finished this knife over two years ago, and it's been collecting dust. It has a wide blade and a negative blade angle optimized for rapid draw reverse grip SD applications. It would also work well for general everyday cutting tasks, though the angle of the blade is not ideal for chopping on a cutting board.

I made it entirely by hand from sawmill blade steel "as is", and it is one of the last few knives I made that way before I started heat treating them a couple years ago. I estimate its hardness around that of a Tramontina machete, if not a bit lower. It takes a screaming sharp edge, and is hard enough to hold it for cutting tasks up to and including paper, cardboard, soft wood, organic matter and common EDC type cutting tasks, but soft enough to avoid chipping. It shouldn't be pried with as that will bend the tip. Sharpens very easily back to hair popping in little time.

The contoured multi-material handle is extremely secure and comfort. You barely have to try to keep a grip on this knife.

The sheath is already set up with a cord loop to be carried IWB for right side reverse grip rapid deployment.

Specs:

Steel: ~1080 - will patina nicely, but rust if not maintained.
Hardness: Estimated to high 40s or low 50s
Stock Thickness: 3 mm

Overall Length: 8"
Cutting Edge: 3 7/8"

Geometry: Full height convex, 15° per side primary edge, 20° micro, .025" behind the edge

Weight: 4.8 oz

Handle: Contoured camo Micarta, black G10 liners, carbon fiber tubes

Sheath: Black Kydex

Asking SOLD

Price is via PayPal G&S (I will provide the email address in private messaging) and includes expedited shipping with full tracking and insurance.

First "I'll take it" gets priority. Upon payment, please also message me your shipping address.

Thank you for looking!

Angled optimal for reverse grip use
IMG_7896.JPG
IMG_7897.JPG

Extremely Secure and comfortable handle in both grips
IMG_7898.JPG
IMG_7901.JPG

Well balanced for speed
IMG_7900.JPG

Maker's mark finally added today
IMG_7902.JPG

Sheath is secure and set up for discreet IWB carry, leaving lots of handle to grab for fast deployment
IMG_7903.JPG
IMG_7904.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks friend! PM sent.

Back