Solo Hot Tent Winter Camping Expedition at -20oC

I was finaly back in the woods for a winter overnighter ! The weather was not bad: sunny day at -12oC and nights at -20oC. I made good use of my toboggan to haul my gear into the wilderness and setup my canvas tent. Prepping all the wood for the night was alot of work but it was worth it.

Hope you like the vid

That looks like a lot of work ! Good stuff. You're right, it beats sitting at home.

Must be hard pulling that toboggan, particularly uphill ??

That looks like a lot of work ! Good stuff. You're right, it beats sitting at home.

Must be hard pulling that toboggan, particularly uphill ??

It gets hard when the terrain is uneven in the woods. It tipped over a few times but that’s part of the game... as is hauling it up hill

Roger, I think we think alike, I like to have some creature comforts like you. If I had to pack stuff in for 20 miles or so, I might think differently.
Although, I kept thinking, how far is he going to go?

Seems like you had a lot of fun and that's what really counts. However, while I am not into counting grams, that much hauling seems like waaaay too much effort for a single outing. I could see the benefit of carrying a wood stove, canvas tent, etc for a long stay. It would allow you to dry clothes and basicaly be more comfortable... But for a single overnight i would choose the route of solo tent, good down filled sleeping bag and be done. Small wood stove in case we want to make some sparks but... that's about it!!

Either way, looks like fun!

Seems like you had a lot of fun and that's what really counts. However, while I am not into counting grams, that much hauling seems like waaaay too much effort for a single outing. I could see the benefit of carrying a wood stove, canvas tent, etc for a long stay. It would allow you to dry clothes and basicaly be more comfortable... But for a single overnight i would choose the route of solo tent, good down filled sleeping bag and be done. Small wood stove in case we want to make some sparks but... that's about it!!

Either way, looks like fun!

You are absolutely right it’s overkill for an overnight... but with 3 kids I don’t have much more time than that lol

I still try to hot tent once a twice per year

Back