• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

(SOLVED, happy with outcome) Need to call out a knife maker (Ken Coats) for his very poor response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really addressing this to you, Ryan, but I think it's important to note for people that were hard on you for not initially making the phone call.

Seems like the maker was willing to take orders and payment through email and discuss the issue with the initial knife that way as well. Given all that, the idea that it's on the customer to change the method of contact when communication gets bad is just wrong. It's pretty clear that there was an ongoing email conversation that went dead for five months when the customer had issues. An international phone call isn't a huge inconvenience, but it's still not right to make the customer go that route when there was a clear and open channel of communication available.

OP's email conversation PROVES that the knife was broken before, in 2015. Without the emails, he had no PROOF - where are all those 'pick up the phone' guys now?:poop::thumbsdown::confused:

Us pick up the phone guys expect the maker to do the right thing.

The specifics behind pickup the phone came into play because the maker has almost no online footprint.

After seeing the character of the maker I doubt I'd want to keep a knife like that despite any sentimental value if it's going to keep breaking and I'd have to go through something like this repeatedly.

Back on page 6 I said the following hoping for satisfaction for the maker and customer... and boy did this thread deliver a read.

I have no skin in this game because I'm not familiar with Ken or his work (just enjoy a good read about things like this so I opened the thread) but hopefully there will be a resolution that will satisfy both maker and customer.

I'm actually worried that even if I receive the replacement I won't be happy to carry I knife with "Coats" on the blade. I feel that my 21st birthday gift has been ruined by this whole affair.

Unfortunately I don't think think this whole situation will satisfy the Ken or Ryan and I can't say I blame Ryan for his feelings at the end of the day. I'd probably be putting the knife in a drawer and keeping it for sentiment but I don't think I'd be wanting to carry it anymore either.

No current online footprint, you can't send messages back in time to when someone was prolific on here.
I don't think you know what online footprint is...
Here: 'Your digital footprint is your online activity, from commenting, liking, or sharing on social media to any mention of your name online.'

I don't think you know what online footprint is...
Well he doesn't have a website or any other presence or way to reach him. He hasn't sold on here for a while and hadn't even posted since the summer.

His posts here are just a fossil record.

After a solid 10 year run of selling knives on BF I'm still not ready to
throw in the towel

Just a heads up... you will need buyers for that to continue.

And after this...

Here we go, yeah I sent the POS knife to Ryan.

...it won't matter that you're not ready to throw in the towel if they decide to throw in the towel on you first.

See how that works?

While I did think that Ryan should have made the phone call once he had it, hindsight shows he needed a written record of all conversations so they couldn't be disputed.
I would not have faulted the maker over the broken backspring-stuff happens, but sending out a poor quality product on purpose with his mark on it is almost inconceivable and a very poor decision on his part. Will this one act of stupidity kill his business? I think not but it will follow him around for the rest of his career. It's a shame that he tarnished his name in such a way, but really bad decisions have their consequences.

^ Yep!
And when you thought it couldn't get any worse, the maker finally 'shows up' and makes a fool of himself..

The maker lied to you, TOMBSTONE: 1.there were 2 knives 2. he is posting (his internet and email are working fine, just another lie) 3. he's not standing behind his product

My goal was communication and hopefully resolution. If the OP gets his knife and is happy with it, mission accomplished.

OP's email conversation PROVES that the knife was broken before, in 2015. Without the emails, he had no PROOF - where are all those 'pick up the phone' guys now?:poop::thumbsdown::confused:

I still stand by picking up the phone, not instead of written communication but in addition. The purpose is to exhaust all avenues and resolve an issue where there was no further contact from the usual primary methods.

Here we go, yeah I sent the POS knife to Ryan. Am I going to defend myself? - not much, past customers already have.

Ouch. I was a past customer and can’t defend you one bit. My custom order came larger than I asked for, with the wrong colored scales, and the wrong shield. You agreed to make me another one though.

When the 2nd knife arrived, it was the right size, but had the wrong colored scales again (I asked for brown, what I got each time was burnt orange), plus the same, wrong shield as the first one. The build quality was nice but it still wasn’t the knife I asked for, or what you agreed to make. At that point it wasn’t worth worrying about so I sold it here in the exchange and moved on with my knife collecting life and invested in other makers.

My goal was communication and hopefully resolution. If the OP gets his knife and is happy with it, mission accomplished.
Gotcha, you don't care when people lie to you :thumbsup:

I still stand by picking up the phone, not instead of written communication but in addition. The purpose is to exhaust all avenues and resolve an issue where there was no further contact from the usual primary methods.
Suit yourself, I just hope you don't end up in a situation when a simple email could save you...

My thoughts as well. 100%

Gotcha, you don't care when people lie to you :thumbsup:

Suit yourself, I just hope you don't end up in a situation when a simple email could save you...

You have had some good points. Now you are just being difficult.

Exactly the phone call first would not have "helped" with what's been revealed now but it would have helped put an early spotlight on the maker.

It would have cornered him so to speak. Probably would have cut this down to a 2-3 page thread with way less support based on Ken's past performance.

Sounds like he's just a super grumpy old man now.

You have had some good points. Now you are just being difficult.
Definitely not trying to be difficult. TOMBSTONE was bluntly lied to and he, for some reason, seems to shrug that off..

Also, I never said a call can not help, I'm just arguing against making a call INSTEAD of written comm. Here:

upload_2020-2-12_13-23-59.png

Last edited:
Ouch. I was a past customer and can’t defend you one bit. My custom order came larger than I asked for, with the wrong colored scales, and the wrong shield. You agreed to make me another one though.

When the 2nd knife arrived, it was the right size, but had the wrong colored scales again (I asked for brown, what I got each time was burnt orange), plus the same, wrong shield as the first one. The build quality was nice but it still wasn’t the knife I asked for, or what you agreed to make. At that point it wasn’t worth worrying about so I sold it here in the exchange and moved on with my knife collecting life and invested in other makers.

I wonder how many of his past customers had this happen to them :(...

Definitely not trying to be difficult. TOMBSTONE was bluntly lied to and he, for some reason, seems to shrug that off..

Also, I never said a call can not help, I'm just arguing against making a call INSTEAD of written comm.

Ah...thanks for the clarification.

Also, I never said a call can not help, I'm just arguing against making a call INSTEAD of written comm.

Perhaps you should reread what I posted. I don't know Ken or the OP. I don't own one of Ken's knives and have no interest in that style blade. You seem insistent on riding my ass for some reason with speculation, assumptions and putting words in my mouth. You Want a 40 page roasting and flaming thread knock yourself out but I didn't see you help resolve anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back