• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

(SOLVED, happy with outcome) Need to call out a knife maker (Ken Coats) for his very poor response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps you should reread what I posted. I don't know Ken or the OP. I don't own one of Ken's knives and have no interest in that style blade. You seem insistent on riding my ass for some reason with speculation, assumptions and putting words in my mouth. You Want a 40 page roasting and flaming thread knock yourself out but I didn't see you help resolve anything

Hmmm, from your past posts, it really seemed you know the maker.. Not 'riding you ass' in any way, just that I, for one, would be really pissed off if someone was using me to lie to everyone else :(. Not interested in roasting anyone and, I believe, by disputing those who told the OP to chill or go away, I helped. Cheers!

Gotcha, you don't care when people lie to you :thumbsup:

Suit yourself, I just hope you don't end up in a situation when a simple email could save you...
I have found when I think someone is lying to me, I ask them to put it in an email. It’s amazing how fast the story changes when they a creating a written record of it.

Perhaps you should reread what I posted. I don't know Ken or the OP. I don't own one of Ken's knives and have no interest in that style blade. You seem insistent on riding my ass for some reason with speculation, assumptions and putting words in my mouth. You Want a 40 page roasting and flaming thread knock yourself out but I didn't see you help resolve anything

You did more to help the situation than harm. A thank you is in order.

Hmmm, from your past posts, it really seemed you know the maker.. Not 'riding you ass' in any way, just that I, for one, would be really pissed off if someone was using me to lie to everyone else :(. Not interested in roasting anyone and, I believe, by disputing those who told the OP to chill or go away, I helped. Cheers!

I don't like being lied too,but life is to short to allow everyone else to keep me pissed off. I got want I needed from communicating with Ken on behalf of the OP

I hate it when folks start derailing posts and also incite their own petty battles if someone else doesn't agree with their thought or think the same way they do. It's just quite childish. Get enough of that nonsense by watching the politicians act like infants in Washington. Everyone here wants the same thing - to find out the truth and hope that the party wronged is made whole.
Please try and focus on that.

Now, I have to say I am flabbergasted by Coats response. Yikes. Not someone I will ever deal with. The OP has conducted himself here with class and well, we can't say the same for the maker.
What kind of maker (or person) sends the OP a POS crap knife like that on purpose. Wow...…………...

Last edited:
I still stand by picking up the phone, not instead of written communication but in addition. The purpose is to exhaust all avenues and resolve an issue where there was no further contact from the usual primary methods.
I think OP calling the maker was a good step to take, but some folks here seemed to imply that it was somehow bad form on his part or reflected poorly on him that he hadn't or had taken some time to do so. That party I STRONGLY disagree with. It's 100% on the maker that he had to go that route and if he had decided not to call at all, but to stick with a format that gave him written evidence I wouldn't have blamed him in the least.

Ryan in post #175 you said you don't think you could carry a blade with my name on it. When you get the replacement knife if you can't
carry it, send it back and I'll either make one like you want without my name on it or refund your money whichever suits you.
Ken.

Ouch. I was a past customer and can’t defend you one bit. My custom order came larger than I asked for, with the wrong colored scales, and the wrong shield. You agreed to make me another one though.

When the 2nd knife arrived, it was the right size, but had the wrong colored scales again (I asked for brown, what I got each time was burnt orange), plus the same, wrong shield as the first one. The build quality was nice but it still wasn’t the knife I asked for, or what you agreed to make. At that point it wasn’t worth worrying about so I sold it here in the exchange and moved on with my knife collecting life and invested in other makers.
If I may ask, was communication with this knife maker ever in verbal form or was it all through email?

If I may ask, was communication with this knife maker ever in verbal form or was it all through email?

Honestly, I can’t remember if we spoke on the phone or not. Also, any record of our discussion through email would have been deleted, at least on my end. I moved on so there was no need to keep any of that info. I don’t even have pics any longer. The sales thread is still there as proof I owned a knife from Ken though lol. It was a nice knife like I said, just twice it was made differently than I asked.

I prob should have just kept this to myself rather than muddy this thread but Ken’s comments about his previous customers speaking for him and standing up for him was a really shitty comment to make in this situation. Especially after admitting to sending the OP a piece of garbage.

Ryan Sumner Ryan Sumner I know this was a special knife to you but you won’t be getting that first knife back. Like you said, this whole situation will come up every time you see this new knife on your dresser. I’d take the refund and move on.

Last edited:
Ryan Sumner Ryan Sumner

Glad things are working out. Still wont buy a Coats knife, but would be inclined to do a deal with you if the situation presented itself.
Stay on the respectful path, and you will keep your good reputation.
Things are working out? Are you implying that OP is going to actually get a knife from Coats? On what grounds do you base that assertion?

Us pick up the phone guys expect the maker to do the right thing.
How would you rate the fulfillment of your expectations in this case?

My goal was communication and hopefully resolution. If the OP gets his knife and is happy with it, mission accomplished.
"mission accomplished"? I missed where the OP posted the picture of his new, well made knife, which post number was that?

Ryan in post #175 you said you don't think you could carry a blade with my name on it. When you get the replacement knife if you can't
carry it, send it back and I'll either make one like you want without my name on it or refund your money whichever suits you.
Ken.

Ryan in post # 213, OMCHamlin predicts that this "Ken quote" above by Ken Coats is all more lies and fluff, and that there was never a new (let alone well crafted) knife sent to you by him.
Advice #1: If that proves to be true, I would take a deep breath, turn my back on this, take whatever lesson you can from it, and move on with your life. Cut your losses, so to speak, because you will only find more aggravation in dealing with this walking turd of a creature.
Advice #2: If you should manage to get a decent product from him, I'd resell it and get as much of my original money out of it as I could, and never look back. It would burn in my pocket to carry it. The absolute LAST thing I would do on this earth is ever send him back a knife or anything of value for any reason.

Things are working out? Are you implying that OP is going to actually get a knife from Coats? On what grounds do you base that assertion?

How would you rate the fulfillment of your expectations in this case?

"mission accomplished"? I missed where the OP posted the picture of his new, well made knife, which post number was that?

Ryan in post # 213, OMCHamlin predicts that this "Ken quote" above by Ken Coats is all more lies and fluff, and that there was never a new (let alone well crafted) knife sent to you by him.
Advice #1: If that proves to be true, I would take a deep breath, turn my back on this, take whatever lesson you can from it, and move on with your life. Cut your losses, so to speak, because you will only find more aggravation in dealing with this walking turd of a creature.
Advice #2: If you should manage to get a decent product from him, I'd resell it and get as much of my original money out of it as I could, and never look back. It would burn in my pocket to carry it. The absolute LAST thing I would do on this earth is ever send him back a knife or anything of value for any reason.

You rage-a-holics need to step back from the keyboard. Please tell me what you angry little fellas are accomplishing here but talking all kinds of smack? I helped the OP here, you did not

You rage-a-holics need to step back from the keyboard. Please tell me what you angry little fellas are accomplishing here but talking all kinds of smack? I helped the OP here, you did not
Yeah, I genuinely don't understand why anyone is attacking you in this situation. I think you did something productive that helped at least bring everyone to the table and helped get the facts out.

Ken.
That's a nice gesture and all but why would he want anything else to do with you after what you have done? What you did was despicable.

Ryan Sumner Ryan Sumner if you get a knife from this guy, sell it and buy something else. Don't even mess with this maker any further. His irrational behavior in response to this problem should be enough for you to not just walk away but run and don't look back.

I would guess Mr. Coats is having a rough go at life currently. Maybe health issues, family, who knows?

His knife profession certainly could not have thrived if his customer service was poor.

People have ups and downs...this is certainly a down in this particular case.

I also have no idea why anyone would be bashing on the customer in this situation. It’s on the provider to offer good service and communicate on any platform the provider uses in their business.

Yeah, I genuinely don't understand why anyone is attacking you in this situation. I think you did something productive that helped at least bring everyone to the table and helped get the facts out.

lol, I haven't the foggiest clue.
Maybe it's a generational thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back