• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

(SOLVED, happy with outcome) Need to call out a knife maker (Ken Coats) for his very poor response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also Fellas no need to bicker, I know you all mean well so we shouldn't get caught up in semantics if possible.
Hopefully we can all learn to get along, we've got more similarities than differences after all

In any case, I appreciate everyone adding to this thread. I'm glad that there's still interest in this situation, it really does help me to feel better about it all.

The above is exactly why I wrote it the way I did and offered him a refund .
Ken

Do you have any explanation for why you handled this situation in the manner you did? Because so far your explanation seems to be that you don't give a "F" which isn't a sterling endorsement of your character. Is there something folks should know? Are you having health issues? I understand the desire for privacy but at this point you're not leaving people with much confidence that this situation won't be repeated.

In for pics of the knife or more drama... the mysterious knife joker who sends crappy knifes to people while knowing their waiting for a similar one... maybe my favorite part :)

Yeah, he denied it more than once. Called Ryan a liar. Also, said he never repaired the knife before. Ryan supplied proof of that also.

That is what I thought. Well, if sent in spite at least own it when asked (not that I am a fan of doing anything in spite)

Do you have any explanation for why you handled this situation in the manner you did? Because so far your explanation seems to be that you don't give a "F" which isn't a sterling endorsement of your character. Is there something folks should know? Are you having health issues? I understand the desire for privacy but at this point you're not leaving people with much confidence that this situation won't be repeated.

I already asked him that in the most respectful way I could but as you can see, he only posts small snippets of information when he comments. I’m thinking this thread will continue on and on until he addresses the “why’s.” And I don’t think he is willing to do that. It’s a shame, because I think this could have been a learning experience and could have upped his custom making game. I was also thinking, if he came through this and corrected the matter, he could have possibly brought in more business than ever. America always gives second chances and roots for the underdog!

Last edited:

I'm going to go with either "drugs are a hell of a drug" or Ken's a recent stroke victim. Press F to pay respects.

LMAOOOO

Look, obviously no one is going to let this thread go. There has been a very major mixup and the fault is mine.
I"m going thru an ugly divorce and it will be over next Fri. While that's no excuse for what went on here that's the
way it is.
Ken.
Thank you for shedding some light and finally being forthright. Do something fun next Friday and then get busy making customs and jam out some awesome work. I'm rooting for you and I when the time comes, I would give you a try to make me a knife. Clear your head and take all the time you need, man.

Look, obviously no one is going to let this thread go. There has been a very major mixup and the fault is mine.
I"m going thru an ugly divorce and it will be over next Fri. While that's no excuse for what went on here that's the
way it is.
Ken.

Been there, done that, it sucks. Thank you for responding. There's not many fellers- or ladies- that can't sympathize with you I imagine. Nice to see you taking responsibility as well.

way it is.
Ken.

That tends to happen when no explanation is given for such behavior. Perhaps if you had offered up this info earlier it would have helped, but at this point it's too little too late.

Been there, done that, it sucks. Thank you for responding. There's not many fellers- or ladies- that can't sympathize with you I imagine. Nice to see you taking responsibility as well.

I’d rather sympathize with the customer who was shit on. It wasn’t Ryan’s fault there were issues in a marriage half way around the earth. “That’s the way it is” could become Ken’s new business model.

I can’t wait to see the new knife though!

Also Fellas no need to bicker, I know you all mean well so we shouldn't get caught up in semantics if possible.
Hopefully we can all learn to get along, we've got more similarities than differences after all

In any case, I appreciate everyone adding to this thread. I'm glad that there's still interest in this situation, it really does help me to feel better about it all.

^ :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Look, obviously no one is going to let this thread go. There has been a very major mix up and the fault is mine.
way it is.
Ken.

^ :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I sincerely wish you the best of luck, Ken.
This is last thing you need in your life right now....so do the right thing moving forward; apologize, make everything right with Ryan, & hopefully a few months down the road from today, you'll be in a much better place, whistling Dixie! :)

Thank you for shedding some light and finally being forthright. Do something fun next Friday and then get busy making customs and jam out some awesome work. I'm rooting for you and I when the time comes, I would give you a try to make me a knife. Clear your head and take all the time you need, man.

^^ +1

And for the record: I've never met Ken before, nor have I owned one of his knives. I'm not into Traditional knives, at all.

And just because I'm old school, and prefer picking up a phone (in lieu of sending an email/text/pm), in no way, reflects that I lack the intelligence, to document a transaction when need be. Everyone of my transaction (as a seller), is always well documented.
In my profession, I'm required to be well versed using tech related documentation (emails/pic attachments/contracts/change order's), with my company, sub-contractor's, HOA board's, material vendor's inspector's- all parties involved.

This is supposed to be a fun hobby...but unfortunately, it's a hobby where you must be smart/intuitive, & on your toe's, to not to be taken advantage of.

There is another thread that was recently posted here in the GBU, in relation to dealing with a new person with zero feedback or history here. I had one of these people reach out to me about a month ago (2 posts to his name, 0 Feedback & not a paid member). He wanted to buy a rare discontinued Spyderhawk I had for sale (at a great price btw ;) ). During our email conversation, I asked him to give me a call (which he did)...& I knew within a couple of minutes, I could trust this guy. We corresponded the rest of our transaction via text messages, & when the knife arrived, he was stoked and sent me some pretty awesome pictures.

The bottom line is: I would absolutely, NOT have dealt with this person, had he not picked up the damn phone & called me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

If somebody wants to be hard headed and new school....it's no skin off my back!

I really hope that everything works out between Ryan & Ken.

And just because I'm old school, and prefer picking up a phone (in lieu of sending an email/text/pm), in no way, reflects that I lack the intelligence, to document a transaction when need be. Everyone of my transaction (as a seller), is always well documented.
In my profession, I'm required to be well versed using tech related documentation (emails/pic attachments/contracts/change order's), with my company, sub-contractor's, HOA board's, material vendor's inspector's- all parties involved.

This is supposed to be a fun hobby...but unfortunately, it's a hobby where you must be smart/intuitive, & on your toe's, to not to be taken advantage of.

There is another thread that was recently posted here in the GBU, in relation to dealing with a new person with zero feedback or history here. I had one of these people reach out to me about a month ago (2 posts to his name, 0 Feedback & not a paid member). He wanted to buy a rare discontinued Spyderhawk I had for sale (at a great price btw ;) ). During our email conversation, I asked him to give me a call (which he did)...& I knew within a couple of minutes, I could trust this guy. We corresponded the rest of our transaction via text messages, & when the knife arrived, he was stoked and sent me some pretty awesome pictures.

The bottom line is: I would absolutely, NOT have dealt with this person, had he not picked up the damn phone & called me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

If somebody wants to be hard headed and new school....it's no skin off my back!

I really hope that everything works out between Ryan & Ken.
Your point is well taken. If we went only by your written communication in this post, we might think you don't know what an apostrophe is for or how to properly pluralize words.

But seriously, I thought we moved passed this whole email vs phone call issue.

The maker is 100% in the wrong here on many levels, one of which was his lack of communication.

And on the whole life being difficult thing, I can certainly sympathize. That said, when the chips are down and the deck is stacked against you, that is when we see your true character. In this case, the maker failed miserably over and over and over. He even went so far as to send a spite knife! I hope he learns a whole heck of a lot from what he put his customer through. I'm not saying there is no coming back from this but... a spite knife! Think about that.

Last edited:
Screw that. Going through an ugly divorce? Bummer but boo hoo. Has ZERO bearing on you sending that POS knife to the OP or your behavior in this thread.

This is a money venture and I think everyone would be understanding of you having a difficult personal time if you had conducted yourself with some degree of character and honor. As near as I can tell from this thread you did not and are now looking for sympathy.

It matters not if you believe the OP some how did you wrong by starting a thread in the Traditonal section first. I saw that thread and he wasn't disrespectful, quite the opposite.

Ken, I encourage you to take this opportunity to step back and do some serious self reflection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back