• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

(SOLVED, happy with outcome) Need to call out a knife maker (Ken Coats) for his very poor response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screw that. Going through an ugly divorce? Bummer but boo hoo. Has ZERO bearing on you sending that POS knife to the OP or your behavior in this thread.

This is a money venture and I think everyone would be understanding of you having a difficult personal time if you had conducted yourself with some degree of character and honor. As near as I can tell from this thread you did not and are now looking for sympathy.

It matters not if you believe the OP some how did you wrong by starting a thread in the Traditonal section first. I saw that thread and he wasn't disrespectful, quite the opposite.

Ken, I encourage you to take this opportunity to step back and do some serious self reflection.

I have been critical of Ken for a number of things, but as to the divorce being mentioned for sympathy, I can't go there. At least 1 member had asked if there was something going on in his life, and he responded. Until then he had kept his private life private
Ryan has handled himself well throughout, and it is a shame that even with it coming to a conclusion(hopefully) he is not going to be really satisfied with his new knife no matter how good. This sucks since the original knife was something special to him. At this point I don't know what Ken could do to change that.

I have been critical of Ken for a number of things, but as to the divorce being mentioned for sympathy, I can't go there. At least 1 member had asked if there was something going on in his life, and he responded. Until then he had kept his private life private
Ryan has handled himself well throughout, and it is a shame that even with it coming to a conclusion(hopefully) he is not going to be really satisfied with his new knife no matter how good. This sucks since the original knife was something special to him. At this point I don't know what Ken could do to change that.

Bah. He acted like a child and hid until things snowballed. There's no excuse here.

He absolutely should've kept his private life private. As in not making it an issue for the OP.

We know our true selves in adversity.

I'll type louder since I'm way up here on this horse...

Ken had every opportunity to explain himself before I shared my opinion.

Does he have some unique monopoly on having to fulfill obligations during tough times? Is hardship and adversity something the rest of us can't relate to?

I can totally understand making mistakes and doing things I've regretted. And, like I said, I think everyone would've been understanding had the response been a little more sincere. Heck, it could've even been done off line just between the two participants.

Like it or not, that is a business transaction not a personal relationship. It's great to be understanding but in the end, the service and product are what matters. I know it's become unpopular but passing judgement is still okay. On the most fundamental level, it's a basic survival instinct but it also helps guide our decisions. I waited to see how it all played out and then passed judgement based on what was presented.

Everyone's obviously free to come to their own conclusions but in no way were my comments borne of a sense of self righteousness.

Last edited:
There is another thread that was recently posted here in the GBU, in relation to dealing with a new person with zero feedback or history here. I had one of these people reach out to me about a month ago (2 posts to his name, 0 Feedback & not a paid member). He wanted to buy a rare discontinued Spyderhawk I had for sale (at a great price btw ;) ). During our email conversation, I asked him to give me a call (which he did)...& I knew within a couple of minutes, I could trust this guy. We corresponded the rest of our transaction via text messages, & when the knife arrived, he was stoked and sent me some pretty awesome pictures.

The bottom line is: I would absolutely, NOT have dealt with this person, had he not picked up the damn phone & called me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

If somebody wants to be hard headed and new school....it's no skin off my back!

I really hope that everything works out between Ryan & Ken.

Ken never responded to Ryan’s email and asked him to call him. There’s a difference between this situation and your story.

I'll type louder since I'm way up here on this horse...

Ken had every opportunity to explain himself before I shared my opinion.

Does he have some unique monopoly on having to fulfill obligations during tough times? Is hardship and adversity something the rest of us can't relate to?

I can totally understand making mistakes and doing things I've regretted. And, like I said, I think everyone would've been understanding had the response been a little more sincere. Heck, it could've even been done off line just between the two participants.

Like it or not, that is a business transaction not a personal relationship. It's great to be understanding but in the end, the service and product are what matters. I know it's become unpopular but passing judgement is still okay. On the most fundamental level, it's a basic survival instinct but it also helps guide our decisions. I waited to see how it all played out and then passed judgement based on what was presented.

Everyone's obviously free to come to their own conclusions but in no way were my comments borne of a sense of self righteousness.

Reported for exceedingly loud typing!!
:p:p:p

Thank you for shedding some light and finally being forthright. Do something fun next Friday and then get busy making customs and jam out some awesome work. I'm rooting for you and I when the time comes, I would give you a try to make me a knife. Clear your head and take all the time you need, man.

As I said, strange, but there always seems to be someone in the knife that will stick up for the villain, no matter what (he's sad, give him time, where's the love, we believe in you...) OMFG!

Been there, done that, it sucks. Thank you for responding. There's not many fellers- or ladies- that can't sympathize with you I imagine. Nice to see you taking responsibility as well.
Actually, there might be some that can't sympathize with an insane, deluded, lying thief, professing to be a knife maker, yeah, there might be... Jesus, how can you??? No, really?

Been following this thread forever. OP, did you get a tracking #?
Oh, I'm sure he did, aren't you? <LOL>

Some seriously self righteous internet scolds riding around on their high horses in this thread.
Has the knife collecting, owning, using world been taken over by flower children? Say something honorable about Ken Coats.

Wow! What a ride...or read!
I was getting really sad and fully expected to see someone post Mr. Coats obituary at any time.

My imagination forced a vision of an old and feeble Mr. Coats in bed hooked up to oxygen. A frantic Mrs. Coats trying to come to grips of a situation always talked about but never prepared for, desperately trying to maintain his reputation and soon his legacy. Mrs Coats mailed the last and only knife she could find on Mr Coats work bench to the OP. completely unaware it was the first he'd ever made.:(

Unfortunately I think I'll be using the same imagination to picture the knife that the OP is supposedly receiving....? :confused:

Last edited:
As I said, strange, but there always seems to be someone in the knife that will stick up for the villain, no matter what (he's sad, give him time, where's the love, we believe in you...) OMFG!

Actually, there might be some that can't sympathize with an insane, deluded, lying thief, professing to be a knife maker, yeah, there might be... Jesus, how can you??? No, really?

Oh, I'm sure he did, aren't you? <LOL>

Has the knife collecting, owning, using world been taken over by flower children? Say something honorable about Ken Coats.

We can't all be hardcore government contractors working on top secret missions in faraway places, counting on our knives in multiple CQC situations. Some people just enjoy the hobby and don't see the need to roast the guy after he admitted his mistake.

Ryan, any word? Tracking number?

We can't all be hardcore government contractors working on top secret missions in faraway places, counting on our knives in multiple CQC situations. Some people just enjoy the hobby and don't see the need to roast the guy after he admitted his mistake.

Mistake??
Problem I have??? I don’t see what he did as a mistake.

Mistake??
Problem I have??? I don’t see what he did as a mistake.

He did what he intended, but his mistake was in judgment-bad decisions. Each move he made was a mistake, and he should have made a different move
He should have had better communication with Ryan, but chose not to
He should have fixed or replaced Ryan's knife, but chose to send a POS knife to make a statement
He should have entered this thread earlier, apologize and made things right, but instead chose to use a 3rd party,and lie about sending the POS knife out
All were bad mistakes in judgment, I presume stemming from him getting pissed at Ryan for some reason.
These things are all in the history books and nothing he can do now except try to be better in the future, but the one mistake I think he is still making-he should make an outright apology to Ryan for treating him so poorly and claiming it was him that lied.
At that point some may choose to forgive(some will not)It is not a bad trait ,to be forgiving, but that doesn't mean forget.

If K.C. wanted to help redeem his character, he could send by express mail an extra special knife to the OP, in addition to the repaired original. In such a case, the OP might be motivated to alter the title of this thread, and K.C. would gain a bit of respect. It would also counter his vengeful act of sending the trash knife.

I can't believe I even care that much, but did you ever get a tracking number?

Been following this thread forever. OP, did you get a tracking #?

Ryan Sumner Ryan Sumner
9iIH.gif

Some seriously self righteous internet scolds riding around on their high horses in this thread.

This right here? This is why there are plenty of makers who continue to be huge dbags and get away with it. Defending the indefensible is a good way to send the message "Eh, I can do what I want, because people will let it slide."

Thankfully, anyone researching Ken will find this thread, and have some serious doubts with doing business with this individual. That's good enough for me. Can you hear me all the way down there? I realize my horse is rather tall. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone is really defending Ken's past actions on this. There can be no question he handled this poorly on so many levels. This thread will always be here as a result.
I am not defending Ken by any means either - for the record.
However, seems a little unnecessary to ride some of the members who have tried to encourage him to do better. It's Ok to attempt to have a positive outlook on life and hope people can learn from past mistakes, and a first step is to admit they are wrong. Maybe Ken learns from this; maybe he doesn't - who knows.
Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Hey fellas really sorry for not following up! I agree I should've been far more prompt in following up and will cop that criticism.

My annoyance has shifted to Ryan who started this thread "calling out Ken for his very poor response", apologized for his own lack of follow up, was recently asked three times if he received a tracking number, and has not responded - although he visited the forum today at 11:00 am. :rolleyes:

My annoyance has shifted to Ryan who started this thread "calling out Ken for his very poor response", apologized for his own lack of follow up, was recently asked three times if he received a tracking number, and has not responded - although he visited the forum today at 11:00 am. :rolleyes:

I'm going to guess that the answer's no. I mean, if it were yes, he'd have probably posted up. The guy's been nothing but polite, despite the numerous people in here who have tried to turn this whole thing on him and make him the bad guy. "Well, you should have CAALLLLED". It's disgusting and pathetic, rather like folks in this thread attempting to paint Ken's actions as "mistakes" instead of what they actually are: bad, unethical, garbage-bag behavior. Behavior, that when called on it, the guy was like "YEAH I sent that crap knife, AND? My fans will defeeeend me."

But hey, it's just "mistakes", right? Just a mistake, let's try to take OP to task some more, despite the fact that his claims have been proven 100%. Yeah, he's the one we should be irritated at for not rushing right back here to let us know whether he's got a tracking number or not.

Maybe you should give Ryan a call? LOL

I'm going to guess that the answer's no. I mean, if it were yes, he'd have probably posted up. The guy's been nothing but polite, despite the numerous people in here who have tried to turn this whole thing on him and make him the bad guy. "Well, you should have CAALLLLED". It's disgusting and pathetic, rather like folks in this thread attempting to paint Ken's actions as "mistakes" instead of what they actually are: bad, unethical, garbage-bag behavior. Behavior, that when called on it, the guy was like "YEAH I sent that crap knife, AND? My fans will defeeeend me."

But hey, it's just "mistakes", right? Just a mistake, let's try to take OP to task some more, despite the fact that his claims have been proven 100%. Yeah, he's the one we should be irritated at for not rushing right back here to let us know whether he's got a tracking number or not.

Maybe you should give Ryan a call? LOL

I agree with you and I'm not giving Ken a pass at all. Ryan has been polite and respectful, but as the OP of this thread, it would be a courtesy gesture if he didn't ignore the people, who are probably cheering for him, when asked about a tracking number. A simple 'yes or no' update would be appreciated instead of just leaving us in the dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back