• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

(SOLVED, happy with outcome) Need to call out a knife maker (Ken Coats) for his very poor response

Status
Not open for further replies.
My annoyance has shifted to Ryan who started this thread "calling out Ken for his very poor response", apologized for his own lack of follow up, was recently asked three times if he received a tracking number, and has not responded - although he visited the forum today at 11:00 am. :rolleyes:
I am just guessing but I think Ryan is at the "give em enough rope" stage in this.

Ken had a lot of support at the start of this with his past history and while I have never owned one of his knives my opinion was that Ryan should have made a call because that's what I would have done.

But then Ken came along and erased the goodwill and took out all his supporters himself. It's like something out of a Tarantino movie.

I couldn't care less if Ryan ever posts to this thread again. He has zero obligation to do so even if the new knife has an actual angel wing feather for a shield. He's been an absolute gentleman throughout this debacle.

Ken Coats handled this horribly.

A custom traditional is on my bucket list and I've been researching prospects. Ken Coats is most definitely off the list.

I was also in the “Make the call” camp, because I would have myself...

Lets paint this situation how it is.
Ryan Sumner Ryan Sumner has been a true standup BF member throughout this debacle.
KC has acted with IG attitude. There is a reason I dont buy from IG...wonder what that could be.

Hey Guys guess what, I got a package in the mail!
after opening it all up I found there were 2 parts, my old knife (In pieces of course) and a new easy open jack!

IlPT40M.jpg

To be entirely honest I could probably be picky about a few bits of finish here and there (such as the main rivet being visible) but it's nothing overly bad.
The main thing I care about with slipjoints is the fitment, which is absolutely perfect! Very nice snap with a great half-stop, and zero blade play in any position and solid "stay" when open. Also the blade is well canted forward, towards the edge, the opposite to the orange knife which I love.

Sb1jYe2.jpg

I have to say I was definitely worried that once I got it in in hand I wouldn't be happy with it but it really does feel a lot like my original one, despite the small differences. It's taking me back to when I got my original one which I'm really pleased by.

The bone is a standout, I actually like it more than my original, nice deep jigs with a mottled look to the dye. (It actually leeched a little, which was actually the same as my original knife, but the bone on that aged well so I look forward to how this will)

nA9OztW.jpg

It's actually a little thicker than my original one but it feels sturdier too

04YNJvl.jpg

XjmVeNi.jpg

I really wasn't sure if I'd be happy with this whole situation but despite how rocky it's been I think I'm happy with the outcome.
(I'll be sure to update the title)

Glad this thread finally came to a conclusion! As I said in my first post, hopefully Ryan and Ken are both satisfied with the outcome and can go their separate ways as they please.

I'm not super knowledgeable about traditionals or slipjoints but damn, the finishing on the back of that new knife is beautiful!

Good to see the newest knife made it and that you’re pleased with it Ryan. Hopefully it provides you a long life of enjoyment and use. Just think of the story and how amusing it can be in 20 years!

Man, I hate to break this to you, but I'd wager that you will never see a knife from Coats. I'll pop back in a month or three and see if I should chow down on my words, but I expect I won't have to.

I sure wish that I could've put some $$$ down with you....I've would've even given you 2-1 odds, & I'm not being the least bit sarcastic. You can start chowing down now...

Hey Guys guess what, I got a package in the mail!

The main thing I care about with slipjoints is the fitment, which is absolutely perfect!

It's taking me back to when I got my original one which I'm really pleased by.

The bone is a standout, I actually like it more than my original, nice deep jigs with a mottled look to the dye. (It actually leeched a little, which was actually the same as my original knife, but the bone on that aged well so I look forward to how this will)

It's actually a little thicker than my original one but it feels sturdier too

I really wasn't sure if I'd be happy with this whole situation but despite how rocky it's been I think I'm happy with the outcome.

Thank you for taking the time to post such an awesome, thorough update, Ryan! :)

Thanks for the review Ryan.
Ken.

^ Awesome looking knife! :thumbsup: Best of luck, Ken! :thumbsup:

I sure wish that I could've put some $$$ down with you....I've would've even given you 2-1 odds, & I'm not being the least bit sarcastic. You can start chowing down now...

Thank you for taking the time to post such an awesome, thorough update, Ryan! :)

^ Awesome looking knife! :thumbsup: Best of luck, Ken! :thumbsup:

I'm amazed, he sounded just like many quasi-insane knife artisans, complete with delusions of grandeur. Well, I'm glad it turned out in your favor Ryan, enjoy the knife, I know I could never look at and not feel anger towards the worthless sack that made it.

Thanks for the review Ryan.
Ken.

Hey Ken, if I send you an obnoxiously extravagant down payment, would you consider dragging ME through this crap trough of an experience? Pleeeese???
You guys in this custom knife community are basically just nuts for the crap you seem to willingly put up with...

Last edited:
Nice to see this Ryan.
You handled this as a true gentleman. Even though you had every right to do so, you never got on a high horse and set an example of how to take the high road. I have to say that your family must have done a great job bringing you up.
I don't think I could remained calm and humble through this like you did......in fact I know I wouldn't have. :rolleyes:
I sure hope Ken learns a lesson here. Ken, I went through a divorce in the past and know it can be tough, so I wish you the best. Still, that is not a reason to do what you did here. Glad this has a somewhat positive ending.

Nice to see this Ryan.
You handled this as a true gentleman. Even though you had every right to do so, you never got on a high horse and set an example of how to take the high road. I have to say that your family must have done a great job bringing you up.
I don't think I could remained calm and humble through this like you did......in fact I know I wouldn't have. :rolleyes:
I sure hope Ken learns a lesson here. Ken, I went through a divorce in the past and know it can be tough, so I wish you the best. Still, that is not a reason to do what you did here. Glad this has a somewhat positive ending.

Thanks mate I genuinely appreciate it. I always try to act as cordially as I can on this forum, as it's filled with a lot of friendly people I don't like bringing negativity in if I can help it.

Glad it worked out. Still seems like a ugly experience, i may have down graded it to bad .... OP is way more forgiving then me as he removed the rating completely

Well, I'm not all too crazy with how this was handled, by the knife maker, but I do have great sympathy, for dealing life, whilst caught in a divorce. For me, divorce made me dysfunctional. Forget sleeping; forget eating; forget happiness; just misery, for about three months. At three months, it seems like that's the time when the brain starts to get a grasp...

Anyway, so much for my rambling... But, I wanted to say, I'm happy to see that the knife maker/Ken Coats was able to work thru the pain, and get the knife off to Ryan Summer.

Thanks to both of you, for not leaving us hanging! Glad to see that this is done!

I've been watching this thread: very glad to see a happy ending. Congratulations Ryan on a very nice looking knife. You are a patient man, and I applaud you for your character. :thumbsup:
Ken, I wish you well and hope that this is a turning point for you and that there are good things coming your way. Thank you for stepping up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back