• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

(SOLVED, happy with outcome) Need to call out a knife maker (Ken Coats) for his very poor response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully this works! Uploaded to Imgur

BcbGAsG.png
VFsNIDS.jpg

cRs7VhD.png

gpnD0Mi.png

oetRYNN.png
DRijOOH.jpg
xuoTugt.png
PBgeKZM.jpg
RCpkHwp.png

This sucks! Sorry about this unfortunate situation with your special knife.
Im not a traditional knife guy but even I can see that is very poor work:(
Hopefully he can get this resolved or at least respond to your post.
Respect

Sad. You can take it two ways.

First you've been conciously ripped off.

Second, all makers get old and when humans begin to lose it, we all don't want to admit it, even to ourselves. Maybe you got the best knife he can do at this point in his life. The work of some famous makers deteriorated as they got older. Some really famous ones' knives were actually made by others in their shop.

That looks pretty bad there. I would not be happy one bit if I was in your shoes. Hopefully the maker comes on here and tells his story.

I'm hoping Ken got his packages mixed up and just sent you the wrong knife by mistake.

Yeah I'm really hoping that's what it is, it's the best possible explanation.
He should get notifications from the people tagging him right? It says he was last online September last year, in his recent activity...

I do not understand how any maker can, in good conscience, send that knife out with his name on it to anyone. Every knife he has made that has his name on it is a testament to his skills, or lack thereof.

As the OP just said, the maker has not been here in 4 months. I think it is safe to say that expecting some kind of resolution through this forum is highly unlikely.

Looks like that might someone's first attempt at a slip joint...one that would be kept a secret by the maker himself that perhaps he would reflect upon after years of blood, sweat and tears and think " Jesus what was I thinking."

Generally I've liked the looks of his knives so this is so strange.

I've been burned before by a maker who posts here and didn't speak up publicly ... I felt the negative experience I had would prevent me from ever liking the knife (severely flawed as it was) and that posting would just make me feel worse than I already did. I moved on to other makers with better people skills and I threw the piece of crap away. Humble goes a long way. I'll also say that I think PATTERNS exist for a reason and leave it at that.

Does anyone have any other way to contact Mr Ken Coats? A phone number, or social media page? If he hasn't been on these forums in several months, I'd look into alternative communication methods.

And my condolences to the OP - this is worse than being sold a bad knife. Losing a long-time favorite and getting this as a 'replacement'...I hope you get it sorted out with the maker.

Does anyone have any other way to contact Mr Ken Coats? A phone number, or social media page? If he hasn't been on these forums in several months, I'd look into alternative communication methods.

And my condolences to the OP - this is worse than being sold a bad knife. Losing a long-time favorite and getting this as a 'replacement'...I hope you get it sorted out with the maker.

Thanks.

I'm in Australia so I'm unable to phone him up. I've emailed him quite a few times, but he's not responded.
In the original thread someone said he had an Instagram, but I haven't been able to locate it.

It's really weird that you would simultaneously get amazing and piss poor customer service. A no questions asked replacement is amazing, but without consultation that's just awful. The knife he sent you is definitely not a good replacement either, it looks like a factory second.

This is terribly disappointing to hear. Over the years I've had occasion to take possession of two knives from Ken Coats. One was excellent and I still have it. The second was not up to snuff and returned for refund. I never thought, however, that I would see the day when something like this might occur.

I'll have to hope it's some sort of mistake. Anything else would be unacceptable.

I thought I might still have a number for him but I checked my cell phone and no longer have it. Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back