[Solved] Which of these pieces of steel should I use? (A: Neither!)

Hi all, first (maybe second) post, and general newbie to the craft. I'm taking it slow and doing my research, was hoping I could get a few of you masters to chime in on what you suggest:

In one corner, we have an unmarked 3/16" piece of steel, that if I had to guess what it was would be 5160.

In the other corner, we have a clearly marked 1/8" piece.

linky

5NmQj.jpg

So there we have it, I have no idea which would be more suitable but obviously the marked one I'd be able to at least look up for heat treating and metallurgical specifications, just can't tell if I'm identifying the type correctly: (ASTM 240? ... thought that was japanese, or was that the 3xx)

Last edited:
"Which of these pieces of steel should I use?"
Honestly? Neither. What makes you think the one bar is 5160? If you can "guess" what an unmarked bar of something is by looking at it, you're a better man than I. ;)

All I can find on HT #6LX3 ATSM A240 is a general spec chart which lists several non-hardening stainless steels. None of which is any good for blades. I may be missing something about the markings on that bar. A24AO? :confused:

Depending on your HT capabilities, get you a bar of 1084 if you want to do it at home or a bar of whatever you like if you want someone else to do it for you. Unknown steel is a recipe for a waste of time.

Last edited:
Top bar is a 300 series stainless. Not good for blades could be used for guards but is a PITA to work. Bottom bar is probably a piece of hot rolled 1018 or A36. All the 5160 I have seen has had a rolled edge like this
5160.GIF

There may be some with square edges but I have not seen any in the 20 years I have been using it. I second James' recommendation, buy some known steel from Aldo Bruno or Kelly Couples. It really ends up being cheaper in the long run.

Enough said. Use them as hardware and get a piece of suitable steel that hardens. These will not get hard enough to hold an edge.

I know Jay Fisher uses the 300 series steel for his bolsters and such. Its hard to work as stated.

Back