Some basic infomration about RMK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am preparing to order a Randall. Likely a #14 and I have three basic questions about RMK and their knives.

First, it seems like they charge a considerable amount of money for any changes to basic designs? If one were to buy a #14 with 3-4 changes, depending on what the changes are, the price of the knife could increase by 50% or so.

Second, if one ends up selling their Randall in the future, is the sales price typically reflective of the additional charges for the changes (presuming they were done in good taste/function), do they typically not effect the used sales price, or does it typically harm the used sales price?

Finally, is RMK an honorable company? 5-6 years is a long time to wait for a knife, but it sounds like an interesting journey?

Thanks for any insights you might be able to provide.

Randall Made is a very honorable company now in business for eighty years, buy with confidence. Yes, options cost additional money on the front end, but also bring additional money on tyhe back end if ever sold or traded. Good questions.

Order it configured how you want it, you only live once.

Some of the models are bargains if you like the way they are configured.

The 16 SP1 is a good example. It is basically a tricked out model 1, but it would cost more to order a model 1 with similar options.

The GTR is a similar situation. Also the Denmark special.

Order it configured how you want it, you only live once.

Some of the models are bargains if you like the way they are configured.

The 16 SP1 is a good example. It is basically a tricked out model 1, but it would cost more to order a model 1 with similar options.

The GTR is a similar situation. Also the Denmark special.
I appreciate your sentiments. If one were to say upgrade to a SS blade or add a handle collar or a fancy pommel, I fully understand there would be additional costs involved, that would be reflected in the sales price. I don't understand why there would be an additional charge to swap out a "slightly different style" of double (brass) hilt for a "standard" double (brass) hilt, however? The knife is being built from scratch anyway. No additional labor is necessary.

Anyway, I do appreciate your insights.

I have a model 26 with a maple handle.
Want to send it to Randall to polish minor handling scratches off the blade.
Has anyone had this done and how long did it take to get it back?

Also, if you dont want to wait 5 years....you can buy from a dealer.

AG Russel sells many, if they don't have one you want in stock, the turn arround time is about 8 months, instead of 5 years.

You pay a premium for cutting out the long wait.

Another thought.....is you can buy a full custom knife from an excellent custom maker on Bladeforums.

Custom knofe for Randal prices or less, in upgraded steel, in higher hardness.

Personal opinion here...and I'm going to get flamed......

You can get an upgraded steel, at a more appropriate hardness than what Randal uses.

Just a thought. Seems Randal uses 440B or o1 steel at hardnesses I would not accept in lower end knives.

You buy Levi-Strauss Jeans at a premium because you know what you're going to get for the money. You can buy other jeans for less, and others for more; hopefully you know what you're, pardon the pun, getting in to...

You buy Levi-Strauss Jeans at a premium because you know what you're going to get for the money. You can buy other jeans for less, and others for more; hopefully you know what you're, pardon the pun, getting in to...
Actually that's a terrible example. Levis went off-shore a long time ago. Their overall product quality and sizing went to Hades. On the other hand, the quality of jeans one can buy at Wal*Mart for $7.99/pair is remarkable. Step up to (I think) their $11.99 pair, and you essentially have Carhartts.

Similarly I can buy say a Buck knife and "know what I'm getting" at something like 1/5 the price of a RMK, depending on the model. Maybe 1/4 if I special order it from Buck. So it's not really about product quality. It's more about RMK's panache, collector value, status, etc.

I get why some people purchase RMK Knives. What I don't understand is why RMK charges an upgrade fee to swap say one hilt [slightly different style of a double (brass) hilt] for what I suppose is known as a "standard" double (brass) hilt. There can't be more than a dollar's difference between the two hilts, yet it's like a $60.00 upgrade and the knife is being made to order anyway. Not sure what's up with that?

Last edited:
It’s just the way it is. They have what they consider to be the standard configuration for each model. If you want to deviate from that standard configuration it comes at a cost.

They aren’t going to explain why, it’s just the way it is.

Decide the model you want with the options you want figure out the cost then decide if it is worth it to you. It’s as simple as that.

The more it costs to option out your knife, the more it’s worth when you sell it. As long as you chose wisely.

Nothing wrong with buying Buck knives or KA-BARS either. I own lots of both. They work great. They also are all worth less now than I paid for them. All my Randall’s are worth more. Not sure if that matters to you or not, but it’s part of the equation.

Last edited:
It’s just the way it is. They have what they consider to be the standard configuration for each model. If you want to deviate from that standard configuration it comes at a cost.

They aren’t going to explain why, it’s just the way it is.

Decide the model you want with the options you want figure out the cost then decide if it is worth it to you. It’s as simple as that.

The more it costs to option out your knife, the more it’s worth when you sell it. As long as you chose wisely.

Nothing wrong with buying Buck knives or KA-BARS either. I own lots of both. They work great. They also are all worth less now than I paid for them. All my Randall’s are worth more. Not sure if that matters to you or not, but it’s part of the equation.

"...It’s just the way it is..." <--- That's very true. It's also bad form in my opinion. It's the single thing that made me reconsider the purchase of a knife from RMK.

"...It’s just the way it is..." <--- That's very true. It's also bad form in my opinion. It's the single thing that made me reconsider the purchase of a knife from RMK.
Then buy a Buck knife from Walmart, you'll probably be fine with it. Everyone wins.:thumbsup:

I'd go so far as to suggest that you NOT buy a Randall Made knife, being that you probably won't be happy with it. Save everyone the drama and go buy something else. They won't miss your business and no one cares what you spend your money on. Everyone still wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back