Some Becker 1095CV abuse!

So yesterday was my first range day in an very long time! An incredibly nice family member, who sadly could not make it, sent along a prized possession. An original M1 carbine from WWII. Also sent along an ammo can full of surplus .30 carbine on bandoleers clips. So when it was time to pull out the carbine I noticed the ammo can was not the kind I'm used to with the pop off lid, but a completely air-sealed one-time-use can. Upon closer inspection, a can opener came mounted on top...so no problem, right? Wrong! That thing bent and snapped after the tiniest amount of force was applied. I didn't travel to the range in my car so I didn't have any of the tools I keep in my trunk. All I had was my modified bk21 mini kukri. I had it MOLLE'd onto my range bag to clear the over growth down the lane. So I certainly wasn't going to miss the opportunity to shoot this amazing historic rifle just because I couldn't get to the ammo. So I decided to hand baton the can open with the kukri... I thought for sure I would destroy the edge and cause tons of chips. NOPE! the edge help up the entire 5 minutes it took me to cut through the metal. Seriously unbelievable: not a chip or fold!

1.jpg

I certainly don't condone this abuse with knives. I only did it because I was in a pinch and was confident I could fix the edge damage on the grinder when I got home. But what a testament to Kabar's 1095cv and heat treat! I do think my convex'd edge played a part. I would worry about a stock V-egde, but who knows.

Here are some more photos I took when I got everything home.

1-1.jpg

1-3.jpg

1-4.jpg

1-5.jpg

Moral of the story: It seems the more I use my beckers the more I find "high end" steel to be unnecessary.

Last edited:
Awesome! I agree, 1095CV is just fine and dandy thank you. Good post man.

Fancy-schmancy steels cost more and are oftentimes a pain to sharpen - especially in the field; oh, and they are prone to chipping (compared to 1095) and don't like tough duty.

BK&T's 1095CV delivers ... delivers at a tolerable price point and connects one with Uncle E!

That steel is tough stuff; and your modified BK21 looks awesome!

Great, that your blade got you shooting the M1 carbine.

But a gun thread without a pic of the carbine is like a dog thread sans a photo of the pooch!
Its just not done.
:D

What is it, GM Inland Division, Rock-Ola, Winchester or other?

Last edited:
I'm really not surprised. And I doubt it will take a grinder to tune up the blade. 1095CV is terrific steel. To paraphrase a recently closed thread, "Can we just get 1095 on EVERYTHING?" :p

Zieg

Back