Some curious little files.

FortyTwoBlades

Baryonyx walkeri
Dealer / Materials Provider
Yesterday I received a shipment of some files from Friedrich Dick of Germany. One of the types is a classic 8in "Farmer's Own" or "Handy" file in a single cut on both faces with one safe edge, but the other is a nifty little 4in model they call their "all purpose mini file". What makes it so unusual is that while usually the smaller the file is the finer the cut gets, this thing is only about the size of a thicker, beefed-up needle file but has a cut on it like you'd expect to find on a 10" bastard file or similar, with a coarse face on one side and a fine on the other, with one safe edge and a PVC-dipped handle. I put one through it's paces (as well as one of the Farmer's Own ones) and it cuts VERY rapidly. They call it a "special cut" that they say is a good match for everything from hardened steel to wood and plastics. What I really like about it is the small size, but big bite. It'd be super easy to toss one in a field kit without it taking up a lot of space or being too heavy, as it only weighs 2oz, and it's fully capable of taking care of significant damage to edges like chips or dents. I haven't really seen anything quite like this from any other manufacturer, though perhaps some other enterprising company is doing something similar.

14708283_1286297301411727_7337956115391980032_n.jpg

14681587_1286297244745066_5192155905896567514_n.jpg

That sounds like the perfect little file, what's the msrp per handy file ? ( assuming they're sold separately ) reminds me of the Simmonds on my original Gerber mp.

The handy files are $11, mini files are $8. German made. I'll have to get some photos later of the finish they leave on an axe bit. It'll actually make for a good test of the prototype Arctic Fox puck stone, too, to work up the finish off of what the file produces.

Depends on the dimensions you're dealing with, but that sounds like something a real needle file would be best suited for since you're talking about removing only a small amount of material. These mini files are much more aggressive than is usually seen in this sort of size. The cross section is 3/8" x 3/16".

In any case good files are rare these days. I just ordered one of each to give them a try.

Tell me about! I'm happy to be doing my part in supporting folks that still make 'em right. Friedrich Dick makes a lot of interesting styles. The Stella Biancas still have the crispest teeth I've seen on any file (flesh-slicing sharp, even) but these files are top class, for sure, and immediately bit effortlessly into the good hard axe I was using them on. Just like how a good sharp saw makes fat "noodles" as it works, so too do good files throw crisp, glittering curls of fines. They're a cutting tool like any other. Thanks--I think you'll really enjoy them! :)

I just ordered a new file yesterday after having a brand new one from a hardware store file right off the bat. By safety edge I assume you mean one edge without teeth. I like that idea, it'd be great for knife making as well. I'd be interested in how these work out long term. I may be ordering some myself if the quality is up there with older files and higher priced German and Swedish ones.

That's a cool little file. It would be great to throw in the pack on the trail.

That was exactly my thought when I noticed it in the catalog. Doesn't take up much space or add much weight, so it's very "stash-able" for adding to maintenance kits. One of the things that keeps a lot of people from carrying a good file when out and about is that ones with enough aggression for removing bad damage tend to be larger/heavier than they're willing to carry. And the size is also more nimble than one usually gets in that kind of cut aggression so it can handle jobs that might be less convenient with a standard hand file.

I just ordered a new file yesterday after having a brand new one from a hardware store file right off the bat. By safety edge I assume you mean one edge without teeth. I like that idea, it'd be great for knife making as well. I'd be interested in how these work out long term. I may be ordering some myself if the quality is up there with older files and higher priced German and Swedish ones.

Yes--a safe edge is one without teeth. Some files have teeth on both edges, some have one safe edge, others have two.

Seems you are currently out of stock on the mini - will check in later. Looks like a user for sure.

That's a cool little file. It would be great to throw in the pack on the trail.

I purchased 3 of those little F. Dick mini all purpose files to test them out. At first glance they have the look and feel of a quality file. I promptly put one to the test on an axe of known quality, a Plumb rafting axe. It cut with ease. I only sharpened a little section of this axe but I know it would easily do the whole job.

1.jpg

Both sides bit right into the hard Plumb. One of these is definitely going in my pack for trail work parties.

2.jpg

8-1/2" long and weighing just 58 grams it will be a welcome addition to my kit. I've wanted something like this for several years.

I bought mine from Rio Grande, a jewelers supply company. Been around since 1944 and currently owned by Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffet & friends).

https://www.riogrande.com/Product/friedrich-dick-all-purpose-mini-hand-file/114863

Less than $4 a piece when you buy 3. That's amazing for a quality file. What a bargain!

I'll have to see what kind of volume it takes to get down to that pricing...that's less than I currently get them at dealer cost.

I have to get a couple, hope I can find someone that ships to Canada. Maybe Lee Valley has them?

Yesterday I received a shipment of some files from Friedrich Dick of Germany. One of the types is a classic 8in "Farmer's Own" or "Handy" file in a single cut on both faces with one safe edge, but the other is a nifty little 4in model they call their "all purpose mini file". What makes it so unusual is that while usually the smaller the file is the finer the cut gets, this thing is only about the size of a thicker, beefed-up needle file but has a cut on it like you'd expect to find on a 10" bastard file or similar, with a coarse face on one side and a fine on the other, with one safe edge and a PVC-dipped handle. I put one through it's paces (as well as one of the Farmer's Own ones) and it cuts VERY rapidly. They call it a "special cut" that they say is a good match for everything from hardened steel to wood and plastics. What I really like about it is the small size, but big bite. It'd be super easy to toss one in a field kit without it taking up a lot of space or being too heavy, as it only weighs 2oz, and it's fully capable of taking care of significant damage to edges like chips or dents. I haven't really seen anything quite like this from any other manufacturer, though perhaps some other enterprising company is doing something similar.

14708283_1286297301411727_7337956115391980032_n.jpg

14681587_1286297244745066_5192155905896567514_n.jpg

Who do I contact to order these files please?
Gary

Me, but we won't have another shipment in for a little while on account of moving to a new place of business right now. We have to order them from Germany so it takes about 5 weeks for them to come in once ordered.

Back