Some guidance sought

It is noon on Monday and I have not asked a stupid question yet this week so here goes.

In 5 years, my wife and I will be moving to a country where I am not allowed to own firearms. So, my "last line of protection" for the first time in my life will not be a firearm. Yes, I know that there are many steps before you get to lethal force to take first. Yes I have several certificates for firearms self defense- just trying to say I am not really as dumb as this question may be taken.

In this country, police presence is SCARCE and locals frequently carry and use machetes. Help is not a call away, it shows up hours later and writes a report. This is fact. As folks there are well versed in the use of machetes, that is the threat I am likely to face IF EVER A THREAT at all.

Having been raised on adventure movies and shows, I have wanted a sword most of my life but could never say there was a practical use... now I am thinking proficiency with a sword might be an advantage VS a machete? Accepting the fact that a lot of practice and some training is going to be required, what type of sword might be recommended as relatively easy to learn and effective for home/property defense.

In this country, my wife's uncle was killed in a property line dispute, so the relevance is there.

I am thinking Arming sword? Something just under 30". or would a two hand sword allow better control?

Can't believe I am asking this out loud.

Bill

I take it blunt force weaponry isn't an option?

I like the idea of using a sword, but at the same time I don't. If a machete's edge is damaged in use, it's no big deal. If a sword's edge is damaged in use, it's a potentially very big deal.

What sort of price range are you looking at? For the money that would be spent on a good quality sword, why not simply have a good quality machete forged to your specifications? Depending on what country you're moving to, something that looks a little too nice might get you targeted for theft more than an average looking but serviceable blade.

Last edited:
Danke42, Yes I do. Plenty of time to develop new skills.

Charlie_K, I do have a selection of machetes, including a number that I have bought there on my trips. Blunt force is absolutely an option. an ASP is something I am very comfortable with. Whenever possible, I want to be armed in a superior manner to a potential threat. If I am fighting to protect myself or those I care about, I do not fight fair.

Guys, I am 54yr old. I have been shooting since I was 8. I have been carrying defensively since I was 25. I am not a bunny rabbit or a bully. When we move, I will be about 60, living in a rural area and have 4 dependents living with me. I will have common sense security measures and will do my best to avoid problems but sometimes problems insist on imposing themselves on us.

If I go the sword route, I will buy one to use and one to practice with. The one I will depend on- probably 5-700.00, the one for practice. more like 200.00 but as close is size/balance as practical for a trainer.

Bill

It is noon on Monday and I have not asked a stupid question yet this week so here goes.

In 5 years, my wife and I will be moving to a country where I am not allowed to own firearms. So, my "last line of protection" for the first time in my life will not be a firearm. Yes, I know that there are many steps before you get to lethal force to take first. Yes I have several certificates for firearms self defense- just trying to say I am not really as dumb as this question may be taken.

In this country, police presence is SCARCE and locals frequently carry and use machetes. Help is not a call away, it shows up hours later and writes a report. This is fact. As folks there are well versed in the use of machetes, that is the threat I am likely to face IF EVER A THREAT at all.

Having been raised on adventure movies and shows, I have wanted a sword most of my life but could never say there was a practical use... now I am thinking proficiency with a sword might be an advantage VS a machete? Accepting the fact that a lot of practice and some training is going to be required, what type of sword might be recommended as relatively easy to learn and effective for home/property defense.

In this country, my wife's uncle was killed in a property line dispute, so the relevance is there.

I am thinking Arming sword? Something just under 30". or would a two hand sword allow better control?

Can't believe I am asking this out loud.

Bill

Recently I resolved to make most future swords as nasty as I can, simply because there is a possibility that someone or their loved ones' lives may depend on it. That said, here is my real answer to your query:

-A single-edged mildly curved sword that may be used with one or two hands, and that has a substantial handguard, a blade at least 26" in length but not more than 30", that is thin like a huge well-tempered razor blade and actually has fine balance. The sword should look intimidating, and I guarantee that a sword blade that is both thin and relatively wide raises the hair on people's necks instinctively, as the brain recognizes what it can do.

-A targe for one hand

For if the threat is incoming more slowly:

-A helmet

-A thick sleeveless jacket made of many layers of densely-woven cloth, and that has a tall collar

For sword training, I recommend turning to the words of Bruce Lee: "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."

Charlie Mike had a great setup, which was a huge can of bear spray and his "indoor problem solver" which was a super wicked large single edged custom machete-like blade with a pointy tip.

Last edited:
Mecha,
Sounds like a Messer or Cutlass. Messer is a nice looking sword for certain. I agree with the advice of keeping things simple for a new skill. With the ASP, I practice 5 things and only those, that way when I am not thinking straight, at least I can react well.

I have carried Wasp and Hornet spray and a titanium framing hammer when traveling to areas where I am allowed no weapons(driving to Toronto for example). For the existence of man, tools have been used as weapons by those who had nothing better and used well.

Bill

Mecha,
Sounds like a Messer or Cutlass. Messer is a nice looking sword for certain. I agree with the advice of keeping things simple for a new skill. With the ASP, I practice 5 things and only those, that way when I am not thinking straight, at least I can react well.

I have carried Wasp and Hornet spray and a titanium framing hammer when traveling to areas where I am allowed no weapons(driving to Toronto for example). For the existence of man, tools have been used as weapons by those who had nothing better and used well.

Bill

Ya I think the OC spray thing is a great complement to a big blade.

Speaking of which, there's nothing wrong with good old fashioned katana.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...t-unpleasant-surprise-victim-fought-back.html

Now, if the sword had been a little thinner and wider than a standard katana replica, the intruders would be more likely to be dead or missing limbs, IMO.

College student caught home invasion burgler with Katana. Cut through his arm, into chest.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/na...rglary-suspect-samurai-sword-article-1.379810

Never under estimate a sharp sword.

Also, a light fast fighting hawk that you know how to swing and throw backed up by a secondary weapon.

I have thrown hawks for two decades, and if you are anywhere in the same room as me, you are in danger from a thrown hawk.

ljFnQsA.jpg

n4T0qRs.jpg

jfneiVD.jpg

BQS0aX3.jpg

CGM4jFD.jpg

eoN7nYR.jpg

gM4vEbW.jpg

I may or may not also have a steel rimmed and bossed viking shield....

My "investigate that noise in the night" usually involves a blinding flashlight, something that booms...and a knife as a backup.

Last edited:
Mecha,

Bill

God help them, for here they fight with messers.

If you are serious enough to start thinking sword for defense, take that thinking one step further and go spear or bill hook. Mecha pointed out that you need some sort of defense, like a targe, if you are going blade to blade with a machete wielder. I would much prefer to throw a hawk or 2, but my next choice would be a bill hook with a point on a 5 foot shaft. If you could lay out a swordsman in armor with one, some jackass with a machete is going to have serious trouble closing the gap. It sounds like you’re going to be rural, so it looks agrarian too. I would also take up archery, it’s great exercise and even a self bow with a 25lb draw can throw a broadhead with authority.

Must be a really nice place or you would not be going I assume

May we ask where you are going

I walk because I’ve traveled a lot and maybe i can offer insight

As for swords I can hopefully offer insight

My background

I studied Kendo and Iaido for many years and competed in Kendo

I have a very large sword collection from some very illustrious makers and due to my background I prefer Japanese style blades but with that said I don’t think if I could only buy one good sword and in your situation that it would be a Katana

If your heading to the land of machetes the Jimmy Fikes designed JUNGLE HUNTER

Here is one David Mirabile made for me

This design is the ultimate bush sword

You can choke up on it one handed and it is very quick in changing direction or you can hold in a two handed grip and get massive power and good reach plus you wont look like a wacko walking around within a katana or broadsword

I have found this design can match the cutting power of a full sized Katana in many applications

Joe,
That is a beautiful weapon. Reminds me of TFW's Panabas
https://www.traditionalfilipinoweapons.com/shop/panabas-2/

As to my future home, the Philippines. If I faced someone with training, it would likely be Kali or Arnis- close fighting and I would be toast. The good thing is, aggressive thugs rarely take formal training. But men there in the provinces grow up using machetes. So I am likely to face guns, not much I can do unless I know they are coming and they get close... or knives/machetes.

I am an axe nut, so I have hawks and light axes, I will try to get pics. I also shoot archery. I will have a rattan fighting stand in the yard to practice against.

While there are organized threats in the Phils- Abu Sayef, MLF and the NPA- these are not what I am concerned over. Just run of the mill thugs looking for money, by theft or by ransom. I am not looking for a one tool solution, just looking for things that would be unfamiliar or give me an advantage.

Thanks,
Bill

So I'm going to agree with the posters suggesting that the real question is not what sword you should get but why would you consider such a move? Let's recap, I am not allowed to own a firearm, law enforcement is ineffectual at best and there are not only thugs who may take it upon themselves to relieve me of my worldly goods and my life, but depending on where in the country I go there are also terrorist types who have developed a cottage industry around kidnapping foreign visitors. I'm going to set out on this misadventure when I am physically in decline (no offense but no matter how much of a he-man you are 60 isn't 20, and what about when you are 70 or 80?). As a by the by I will have dependents who will depend on me for protection. Sounds like a mad max movie. Or Chicago.

Is that about the right scenario?

I don't care what the cost of living is, how winsome the native lasses are, how much your wife wants to be with her family or where you think Yamamoto's gold is buried this is an extraordinarily questionable plan.

If you are hell bent on it I think I would look into local ordinances on crossbows. You don't want to be in a physical contest with one or more opponents 40 years your junior. There's a reason firearms were invented.

Living in Hong Kong, I've had several friends move to the Philipines and understand that gun ownership is illegal for foreigners. Some say the law is not well enforced but even if true, it's not advisable to test that theory. But a couple of friends have had their Filipina spouses apply for, and receive, a gun license and now keep a sidearm in their house. Their thoughts were much the same as yours, protection for the family against dubious types. That maybe an option for absolute worst case scenario of someone actually getting into the house. Edged weapons/clubs/crossbows for external show/defence and save the firearm for strictly indoor defence.
Another possible longer range defence or deterrent is a powerful slingshot/catapult. They can be accurate and do some damage with a little training.

Spears will be around, and we will look into getting a permit for my wife but that can come down to local police chief and how much you are willing to pay in bribes.

Someone said shield..... I heard shield... and axes!!
;)
7ozc3Sb.jpg

xdWhmT3.jpg

ii2ZoKA.jpg

H&B Forge camp Hawk
H&B Shipbuilder with poll
H&B Shipbuilder without poll
Modified hatchet heads on 22 & 31" handles- weigh 1lb 6oz and 1lb 12oz respectively.

My plan as of now.
1) A stave and build a practice dummy- have to crawl first as this is all new.
2) Either the Kingston arms Atrim Arming sword or the Cutlass(likely the Cutlass). Light, inexpensive, good reputation.
3) Place an order for an Albion Reeve- based on reviews of its handling and its strong construction + a style I like(and I heard you can cut a bottle in half with it). While this may take a year, I will pick up something like the Balaur type H (dulled) prior to ever holding the Reeve.
4) Practice daily with a handful of strikes

It looks like well maintained swords bring at least 50% resale even is used for cutting, so that will help me.

Thank you for the responses and I welcome any further comments on my choices. Whether I heed them or not, I still do appreciate comments as it pushes me to think of things that I was considering.

Bill

Back